Siracusa Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Siracusa

• rosata's Profile Photo

Guardia Costiera/Coastguard Siracusa - Safe Seas

by rosata Updated Jun 25, 2014

La Capitaneria di Porto di Siracusa recently issued warnings to swimmers and bathers in the seas in the Province of Siracusa. All must proceed with the utmost caution and not enter the sea to swim if the water is at all rough, especially in windy weather. Advice for serious sea swimmers is to wear a swimming hat to make you visible to rescue boats, if necessary.

From 23 June 2014 until the middle of September 2014 operation 'Mare Sicuro' is in operation. This has been put into effect due to a number of recent drownings. Two Guardia Costiera rubber dinghies, as in my first photo, will be patrolling in the waters; one in the Siracusa area and one in the Portopallo area.

For sub acqua divers: Never go far from the boat you have entered the water from. Don't go into underwater sea caves unless you are with a registered diving instructor. Never have your harpoon gun cocked near other divers or when leaving the water!

SHOULD YOU CALL THE COASTGUARD IN EMERGENCY, BE SURE TO REMAIN IN SIGHT OF THE PERSON OR VESSEL IN DIFFICULTY.

Information taken from the publication 'Reporter Siracusa' 20.6.2014

For Sailors: No vessels should be closer to any beach than 250 metres at any time. All sea going vessels should ensure that they carry on board the correct safety equipment. Don't forget that all children passengers on boats/vessels should wear life jackets at all times. Don't forget that mobile phones should be fully charged.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Beaches

• anne_h's Profile Photo

Flashers

by anne_h Written Feb 19, 2003

The only time I've ever been flashed in my life was in Sicily. Perhaps you are not familiar with this expression in English--it means that a total stranger shows you his, er, equipment, shall we say. Needless to say I don't have a picture to put here.

• NYMansour's Profile Photo

If you are a (young) woman...

by NYMansour Updated Aug 26, 2002

If you are a (young) woman travelling alone in Scicily, I advise you to be extra vigilent in dealing with men. They can be very overbearing, and as I experienced can be dangerous. I know this sounds sexist, but I think a woman travelling in Scicily should have a travel companion. You should act conservatively, dress conservatively (unless you are totally familiar and comfortable with the Scicilian culture) and be careful. I was lucky that I met a nice young woman in Siracusa. But, I was also very unlucky when I trusted someone I should not have (a man) while in another area of Scicily. Experience speaks.

• Nobbe's Profile Photo

Visit the archelogical area....

by Nobbe Written Aug 24, 2002

Visit the archelogical area. In this limestone quarry, the Athen's army had to work as slaves after they have been defeted in a war just outside Siracusa. It's a very warm place due to the warm winds coming from the northern africa...

• anne_h's Profile Photo

Pigs in the road!

by anne_h Updated Feb 19, 2003

Watch out for this traffic hazard. We were leaving Taormina and there was a huge pig just casually prancing down the road. Wish I'd had my camera ready.

Instant Answers: Siracusa

Comments

Siracusa Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Siracusa warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siracusa sightseeing.