Taormina Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Taormina

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Local Buses

by SallyM Written Aug 5, 2012

The bus station is in the Via Pirandello. On my latest trip I didn't go further than up to Castelmola (2.80 euro return) and down to Giardini Naxos (also 2.80 return), but buses also go further afield to Messina or Catania (including the airport).

The buses have blue 'Interbus' livery.

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Cable car to the beach

by SallyM Written Aug 4, 2012
    The easy way to get to and from the beach

The cable car (funivia) links Taormina (Via Pirandello) with the beach area at Mazzaro (main car park area). You can of course walk down or up, but on a hot day, it's good to have an alternative option.

Tickets cost 3 Euro one way.

• School Holidays

• balhannah's Profile Photo

TAXI - TAORMINA to GIARDINI STATION

by balhannah Written Oct 18, 2011

Trying to find a Taxi in Taormina was pretty difficult!

We eventually came to see a group of four Taxi's parked in the old Town, this was good, but their were no Driver's! We looked, and looked, wondering who to ask, when I spotted a group of men sitting on a fence chatting. I asked if any were Taxi driver's and sure enough they all were, but none seemed to want our business!
    Eventually one Driver decided to ask what we wanted, which was a Taxi from here, to the Railway station, cost 30 euro for the short distance. I said to expensive, and started to walk away, when he dropped it to 25 euro, which I think was still too expensive. We didn't have any choice but to take the deal.
    I believe the rate is between more around 20 euros than 25 euros, so bargain if they want more!

These prices are for 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo

GIARDINI to TAORMINA

by balhannah Updated Oct 18, 2011

Giardini Railway Station ceiling

We didn't do a set tour of Taormina, instead, did our own thing, and that was arriving by public Train from Messina.

Before we walked out the Station, we had a look at this old building. They had a few old pieces of pottery on display, but what was nice, was the ceiling's done in a creative style of painting, it was lovely! So, take time for a quick look before heading out the station to the Bus Stop which is right there!
    This is where the Shuttle bus stops and takes passengers to Taormina.
    We waited a long time, and I don't know why, as after our Bus, there was a queue of them.
    The Bus driver filled the Bus with passenger's until it was nearly breaking at the seams!

Thank-goodness, the trip wasn't long, but it was hot and stuffy! We could see out the window, and the view was fantastic. The road is very windy with many switchbacks, some of them so sharp, that the Bus needed two attempts to go around the corner. It doesn't take you all the way to the top, but to the Bus stop and turn around point. From here, there is an uphill walk to Taormina.

The fare in 2011 was Adults...1.5 euro

• aquatic's Profile Photo

Driving in Taormina

by aquatic Written May 19, 2010

Taormina, streets.

Taormina ’s narrow streets can really drive an inexperienced driver crazy. Not because they are difficult to pass, but because many of them look like dead end. The driver assumes there is no way to go further and turns around or turns too early. Actually, Taormina , being built on three different levels of the ground, has rather complicated plan of winding roads. Thank God, it is not a big city. The streets leading from above toward the sea are just stairs.

I got lost using map and GPS while looking for my hotel. I gave up and told my husband to “just drive, eventually we’ll get there”.

• Photography
    • Architecture

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

Or, from anywhere in the World!

by happyhourkid Updated Nov 26, 2005

Catania's Fontanarossa Airport

Technically, the closest airport distance-wise to Taormina is the airport at Reggio de Calabria, which is on southernmost tip the mainland of Italy. However by the time you land, get your luggage, get to the ferry dock, ferry over, and get transportation once on Sicily, you're better off flying into Catania or Palermo. Catania is closer to Taormina than Palermo. The airport is about 1-1.5 hours away from Taormina. I have never driven in from Palermo but I have heard it is about a 3 hour drive.

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

Visit from anywhere in Sicily!

by happyhourkid Updated Nov 26, 2005
    On the A18 North.  Toarmina is on the mountain on

From Catania-take the A18 highway Northbound towards Messina and use the Taormina exit.

From Palermo-take the A20 Eastward to Messina. Then take the A18 Southwards towards Catania and use the Taormina exit.

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

Ferrying over from the mainland.

by happyhourkid Written Nov 26, 2005
    The Italian mainland can be seen from Taormina on

You can also take a ferry to get to Toarmina from Reggio de Calabria on Italy's mainland. However, I believe it actually docks in Messina. Once arriving, it's then a modest drive south on the A18.

The actual ferry time is about 45 minutes.

• happyhourkid's Profile Photo

Enjoy the drive, but try not to crash!

by happyhourkid Written Nov 26, 2005

A Taormina road leading up to Castelmola.

You'll be taken aback by the dramatic scenery and the street scenes. But bear these things in mind:

1. The roads are much more narrow than in countries like the US.

2. Sicilians drive very aggressively.

3. The roads leading up the mountains are curvy and can be slippery when damp.

So drive cautiously! Take your time, and be on the lookout for cars, trucks, and motorscooters zipping around the corners. And if you feel like taking pictures, pull over and stop in the many parking areas and at lookout points.

• mabu's Profile Photo

How locals get around

by mabu Updated Jul 12, 2005

Local transport

You see these little 3-wheelers very often round Taormina. There are mostly elderly people driving them, i think you don't need a license to drive them.
    they are used to transport all kind of things and are even used to go to church or shopping.

You an hear them from miles away when they crawl up the hills as their little engine havn't got much power.

• mabu's Profile Photo

Parking

by mabu Updated Jul 12, 2005

Parking problem... :-)

If you go there with your own vehicule you will have big problems finding somewhere to park it!!!

Like in most of these villages the streets weren't built for all the cars and the money to build parkings is not existant and if so the locals wouldn't use them anyway.....

So cars are parked everywhere and obviously sometimes get forgotten (see pic..)

If you need to go there by car park it in the big parking (called "Parcheggio Lumbi") shortly after the motorway exit. It's well signposted. From the parking there is a shuttle bus up to the village.

• ROCKARIA's Profile Photo

With my Cagiva 1st left and also with Pawlu"zumbu"

by ROCKARIA Updated May 26, 2005
    Cross over from Europe or MALTA to Sicily

The best method of transport in and around Sicily is certainly with the Motorbike...in fact i crossed over with my Cagiva Tamanaco from MALTA by Ferry and explored Sicily with my Bike.....off course you have to be as crazy as these italians to drive and keep up with them...But for us Maltese this come as second nature!

• tpal's Profile Photo

One lane, one way!

by tpal Updated Aug 13, 2004

Taormina Hillside

The assent to Taormina from Giardina-Naxos is mainly a single lane one-way road with numerous switch backs. The road is narrow and the locals who are familiar with the route wanted me to drive much faster than I could handle. Aside from my general lack of Sicilian driving skills, the most difficult part of trip was the spectacular view that I (as the driver) was forced to ignore! One more interesting "detail". If you go past your destination be prepared to continue nearly to the top and then descend nearly to the bottom and start up all over again.

• We loved experiencing Sicily with SicilyLife

by alex_brayman Written Jun 19, 2004

We've been to Sicily several times and typically choose to explore independently, but on our last trip, upon searching the internet I found the company "SicilyLife.com" which caters to personalized service for tours of Sicily, including all my transportation and tours by a deluxe-private minivan.
    Sicilylife is run by a couple of extremely knowledgeable and charming locals, and our Etna tour proved to be a highlight of our vacation. We were picked up at our hotel (Villa Ducale) by Alessandro and Sebastiano, with whom we spent the day exploring Etna (amazing!) and the surrounding villages by way of the area's "red wine route." We stopped at a winery on the way which gave us a great vantage point to see the top line of Etna(with smoking cones) and take excellent photos. We walked on the volcanic stones of the famous lava flows of Mt Etna and on the way back to Taormina stopped at a seaside restaurant for a delicious meal of fresh fish.
    There is no better way to get "inside" a region than to do so with a native, and our entire day was guided beautifully by Alessandro and Sebastiano. We highly recommend Sicilylife for Etna tours, as well as for many other local activities.

• Great Tour of Etna from Taormina with Sicilylife

by alex_brayman Written Jun 19, 2004

Instant Answers: Taormina

Comments

Taormina Transportation

Reviews and photos of Taormina transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Taormina sightseeing.