Sulmona Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Sulmona

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Ristorante Pizzeria Il Vecchio Muro: Quality local dishes and Italian classics

by BlueLlama Written Nov 13, 2012

Il Vecchio Muro is a typical pizza-and-more restaurant of the type you find all over Italy, and it is an excellent example of its kind. The list of pizzas is extensive with all the usual combos covered plus some others, while there is a good selection too of Abruzzese first dishes, such as homemade pasta with pork cheek, and seconds.

Wine was a bit of a discovery. We weren't too bothered with drinking the evening we visited and chose a five euro bottle of rosé, not expecting much more than refreshment. I don't think I've had a cheaper bottle in a restaurant, and it turned out to be really very good. If you do feel like splashing out, though, there are more local wines at a variety of price levels.

The restaurant has an atmosheric garden area, where we would have sat if the place hadn't been so busy (half of Sulmona seemed to be eating there on the weekday night we visited). Instead we sat in one of the large - and also packed - dining halls. These seemed to be full of young children (whether that's a positive probably depends on if you're travelling as a family) and wasn't quite as attractive, but fine.

Service is good and swift. Value is great. Il Vecchio Muro seems to be a hit, and I can see why. However, there are no photos for this review as I was too busy eating!

Open all week in the summer, closed on Wednesdays during the winter.

Favorite Dish: Pizza! I feel like a philistine saying this while there were so many good local dishes, but I've found great pizza (not just good pizza, but the type you want to find in Italy because you just can't get it anywhere else) hard to find in central Italy. Well, they serve it here, and you can get a filling, flavoursome margherita for under five euros.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

ristorante frangio': irish angus in sulmona

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2007

irish angus

This restaurant is quite nice, especially in summer when you can eat outside... in this case outside means in an inner courtyard with lots of flowers and plants. Very quiet and scenic.

Favorite Dish: The menu was impressive when reading the first courses (very promising pasta dishes), but we did not have any. The second courses list was not so varied: we settled for some angus - it was either that or lamb... the irish angus appeared to be better than the argentinian one, and the good thing is that it's priced by the 100 grams, so you can tell the waiter how much you want. Ask for some rocket salad on top, even if it is not stated on the menu.

thumbs down for the apple crumble: it was served warm, but it had been heated in the microwave.... so it was unnaturally spongy.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Ristorante Al Quadrivio: the saddest pasta in the world

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 18, 2007

grilled cheese

Everywhere in Italy pasta dishes are delicious - even more in the Abruzzo area - with one notable exception, that of Ristorante Al Quadrivio... bad food and unprofessional staff

It's closed on Sunday evening and Monday all day - but I really don't think you want to eat there.

Favorite Dish: As said before, the pasta dishes are horrible... tastleless and characterless. For the rest, on the menu, meat is king... really. The only alternative was the grilled cheese... which they could not ruin, since they only had to put it on the grill. As for their grilled veggies, one of the three side dishes they had, they had ran out of veggies...

Instant Answers: Sulmona

Comments

Sulmona Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sulmona restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sulmona sightseeing.