Arco Travel Guide

• Restaurants
    by painterdave
    Arco's castle from the market square
    by oriettaIT
  • Restaurants
    by painterdave

Arco Things to Do

• by johnwaring Written Sep 2, 2006

You often see comments about the rock climbing or the view from the castle. When I visited the weather was so hazy that the views were poor. However, what a delight the centre is.
    The streets leading up to the castle were nice and you could easily get lost although thankfully it is hard to miss the castle.

Old centre Main Shopping Street facing west

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

by Lacristina Updated Jul 16, 2005

My friends had come to Arco climbing last year, but I couldn't join them. No way I was missing this year!

Well....actually, due to bad weather and airlines incompetence (don't get me started on this subject!) I missed three of the four days of climbing we were to have here.

But even ONE day was WONDERFUL!

This day we climbed at crags near the town of Nago, just east of Arco - this is a photo of Gary from California.

My women friends kept calling him Superman or Clark Kent, because 1) they met him in a phone booth (he showed them how to use the Italian phone card - the one where you have to break off the corner and THEN insert it into the phone slot) and 2) well, JUST TAKE A LOOK at him. My friend Toni kept saying he was "yummy!"

But I digress!

The climbing was great. This particular location was perfect - shaded from the sun in the morning because it faced west. Shaded from the sun in the afternoon because of the trees. Dozens and dozens of climbs from moderate to impossible - so people of varying capabilities (maybe starting at 5.6 or 5.7) can enjoy it together.

HOWEVER, this was classic limestone, i.e. SLIMESTONE. Worn smooth from decades of use, some of the holds were so polished they felt like glass. Didn't like that part AT ALL!

Buy the guidebook at a local climbing store.

• Mountain Climbing

Passirone 29, Arco, 38062, Italy

Arco Restaurants

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

by oriettaIT Updated Jun 23, 2010

We visited Arco during a saturday noon and there were not much restaurant opened. We looked around and we have been attracted by Alla Lega pergola.
    We went inside in a nicely decorated dining room but we decided to sit outside under the pergola. It is covered by grapes branches full of leaves and with grapes hanging down. The tables are not too close one to each other and the seat are comfortable.
    The menu had a good selection of food. We had a mixed salad as appetizer, Tagliolini with smoked trout, leek and olives, black Ravioli (the dough is colored using squid's black ink) filled with lake's fish meat and served with a tomato sauce, a bottle of water and a beer. The bill was about 35 euros total.
    The food was good, if I want to find a dislike, my tagliolini were a little overcooked but the taste was still excellent.

The outdoor dining area View from the street The grill Tagliolini with smoked trout, olives and leek Ravioli with black ink and lake's fish filling

• painterdave's Profile Photo

by painterdave Written Jun 21, 2010

I rate this restaurant as exceptional, and it is not just for tourists. We found it by accident and when we go back to the lake, we will make another visit.

Favorite Dish: I had the pasta colored with Octopus ink. It was to die for.
    Salads are excellent.
    They grill the meat over a wood fire under the grape covering where you can sit and watch.
    If you like al dente pasta, be sure and tell them this is for you.
    They have a great menu with lots of choices that are not just spaghetti and meatballs type Italian food.
    Comfortable seating, clean environment, and good service.

• by johnwaring Written Sep 2, 2006

This isn't a restaurant but a cafe. Although the service wasn't the quickest the building overlooks a lovely liitle park/garden near the main road. It is simply a terrace under what looks like a disused railway station (I seem to remember it was an old casino building) that has a lovely faded atmosphere. Don't go when it's too hot as the tables sit under glass with the sun streaming through. Very different to other places I've visited in the area.

Arco Shopping

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

by oriettaIT Updated Jun 25, 2010

The flea market take place in the historical city center (around the cathedral) every third saturday of the month. The selection of antiques were good and not too overpriced, there were also some other stuff. I bought a nice table clothes made of indian cotton for 5 euros.

Instant Answers: Arco

Comments

Arco Travel Guide
Map of Arco