Bolzano Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Bolzano

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Tourist information

by tini58de Written Aug 22, 2007

Tini and Maurizio at the tourist information

Favorite thing: The tourist information in Bozen is on Piazza Walther right next to the Cathedral. They give you a free map, answer all your questions and you can book tours there or obtain tickets for cultural events.

Azienda di Soggiorno e Turismo
    39100 Bolzano, Piazza Walther, 8
    Tel. 0471 307000
    Fax 0471 980128
    e-mail: info@bolzano-bozen.it

If you are interested in getting a map beforehand, you can download it here

• worldtrekker's Profile Photo

Take the cable tram up to the...

by worldtrekker Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Take the cable tram up to the Gruppo di Sella near the mountain, Marmolada. If you have time and are fit, you can also hike up! The Gruppo di Sella is encircled by mountain roads. So, if you're looking at a road atlas to find this place, look for a road that is a circle. That dot of a person in the pic is my brother standing on a ledge with some steep drop-offs on both sides... This is only a few minutes walk from the tram station.

• Hiking and Walking

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Useful links

by tini58de Updated Aug 22, 2007

Picture taken by Maurizioago - grazie!!

Favorite thing: When preparing a trip to Bolzano it might be quite useful to have a look at some websites before going there. Here is a list of useful links:

- http://www.bolzano-bozen.it/

- VT Bolzano/Bozen pages

- wikitravel Bolzano/Bozen guide

- http://www.comune.bolzano.it (Italian and German)

- http://www.bolzano.net

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

meeting back up with the musketeers

you'll need to walk this meal off

Fondest memory: We met back up with the rest of the musketeers and escorted them back to the restaurant. Even though I knew it would be a highly Germanic affair, I spotted some dishes in a more Italian direction on the menu when we passed it earlier. It was classic light wood with cushioned benches old world kitschy Germany but with temperatures in the mid-90s outside, no one was complaining about its vault-like interior, which was a bit cooler. Everyone found something to their liking without too much fuss and unsurprisingly the only complaint from our two small eaters was the meals were too big. Well, mine sure was but I ordered the biggest dish on the menu, a mountainous Bauenplatte (farmer’s plate) so it was to be expected. That said, it was more meat then even I could comfortably eat but that I did, along with a few bites of my father’s unfinished schnitzel. It came with not only sauerkraut and roasted potatoes but also a gorgeous dumpling filled with, you guessed it, more meat in the form of South Tyrolean ham. My Dad and wife both got a nice schnitzel smothered in a brown mushroom sauce not wanting for mushrooms and a side of polenta, which went surprisingly well with it. My Dad asked for a side of red gravy, refusing to imagine putting the other sauce on polenta. That was nice to get a taste of, too, as it showed they could make a good sauce with tomatoes, as well. My sister’s spinach spätzle was rich and tasty. To make matters worse, the bread was fantastic but would have come in handier at the previous night’s dinner. Needless to say, we were all stuffed and Doreen and I were so full, we opted for some grappa to stem the tide.

my sister's hugo

by richiecdisc Written May 7, 2014

My sister was very relaxed with her hugo

Fondest memory: The menu was full of Germanic sounding foods, at least to my Dad and sister but we found something that we convinced them would be like ravioli and Doreen and I went for dumpling oriented meals, with northern Italian influences. We started with an antipasto type plate of South Tyrolean hams and cheeses that everyone gobbled up. The one downer was the bread. On their website, they boasted about their bakery on premises and I figured this ensured good bread. I couldn’t have been more wrong and this was without a doubt the worst bread of the trip. For a bread-loving family as mine, this was a tough obstacle to overcome but the food that followed did just that. When Susi, my wife’s sister, arrived with our little niece and her husband, we decided to take the restless little one for a walk while Doreen shared some quality time with her sister, who could eat a more peaceful meal. It also gave my Dad and sister a chance to get to know Elena, who had just turned two and was ready to explore the town. We decided to take her for gelato but found only a dreadful one on the town’s main square. Obviously, it wasn’t the best Italy could offer but if it was any indication in the slightest, it would take an awful lot to top the great one we’d found in Innsbruck!

• Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

on different kinds of Italian food

by richiecdisc Updated May 7, 2014

Fondest memory: I luckily had a second choice, though a more tenuous one to be sure. It was a brewery I had visited in 2003. The beer was pretty good but I hadn’t eaten there as it was a bit pricey. I had read reviews prior to this trip and it sounded good and they certainly served up local Tyrolean dishes. I’d had a small tiff with my sister after she said she was looking forward to some Italian food, I guess in lieu of all the German food we’d been eating. I explained with its close proximity to the Germanic world, it was going to have many influences from there and that it was part of that very world prior to WWI and even very briefly during WWII. Of course, we came across some ubiquitous “Italian” restaurants serving spaghetti Bolognese but we could just as easily find that in Munich and I was adamant to eat Tyrolean fare. Still, going to a brewery in Italy seemed a bit of a stretch after so many beery excursions already in Germany and Austria. I didn’t want to seem too controlling but it was getting late and with my wife’s sister coming later that evening, we ventured off to see if the brewers could cook too.

a surprising white horse

by richiecdisc Updated May 7, 2014

wandering the scenic streets of Bolzano

Fondest memory: The next morning we found the breakfast buffet at the hotel quite good so we got off to a great food start. We wandered into town and, after exploring the gorgeous cathedral’s beautiful interior, we split up as my sister wanted to do some shopping and with only one day in town, I wanted to shoot some photos. My Dad was a bit nervous that Doreen and I would leave him but I assured him Doreen would go with my sister and he could come with me if he wanted, which he did. It was nice to be on my own with him and we discovered some off the beaten path sights before meeting back up with the women. We also stumbled across my chosen lunch spot when I was incidentally taking a photo of a sign with a white horse on it. It shouldn’t have been such a surprise as it’s called Weisses Rössl, an old German way of saying White Horse.

the first trip to Italy and across the Alps

by richiecdisc Updated May 7, 2014

Bolzano's pretty castles equal their setting

Favorite thing: Bolzano would be worth the visit even without the gorgeous trip through the Alps that you make to get there. That said, the train trip itself is worth doing even if you were to just jump on the next train back.

Fondest memory: The train trip from Innsbruck to Bolzano hadn’t been a letdown, boosted of course by the crossing into Italy, a first for my sister and father, whose family had left for America in hopes of a better life over a hundred years earlier. Neither his mother or father made it back to the “homeland” but I had made it part of my first trip to Europe in 1978 and had returned a few times since. But this was a special trip, mostly to bring him there. Though it wasn’t the part of Italy our family hails from and not exactly where I’d like to have been taking him, it was still Italy and he could say he’d been there. Once off the train, it was maybe more Italy than he was perhaps ready for: just a bit more hectic than, not quite as clean as Austria or Germany, where we’d just come from. The difference would have no doubt been more marked had we, in fact, made it down to Naples but this was already enough to have my Dad fondly reminiscing about Mittenwald.

• Trains

• catnl's Profile Photo

Lake Garda

by catnl Updated Jul 30, 2009

Favorite thing: we went here by bus from Bolzano, awesome lake, the biggest lake of Italy.
    i remember beautifull houses/hotels when walking
    very pittoresque! more info

again no pictures at my home:-)

• Water Sports
    • Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating

satiated beyond belief

by richiecdisc Written May 7, 2014

up at the castle with my Dad & sister

Fondest memory: Satiated beyond belief, I was surprised we mustered the gumption to venture back up the hill to where my father and I had been earlier that morning. It was short lived however and we were back down in the fruit market before we knew it once we decided something sweet was in order. With such a bad gelato experience the night before and so much fruit around us, we opted for a smoothie and when someone in front of us order one made of watermelon, we all did likewise as it was hot and we were all thirsty. It started to rain but the true deluge the dark sky foretold never materialized so we decided to count ourselves lucky. Just the same, we didn’t want to be too full of ourselves and after getting some provisions for the trip, headed back to the train station.

To conclude my fondest memory click here

Casa borghese in Piazza Municipio

by croisbeauty Updated Feb 22, 2004

Il Municipio

Favorite thing: Il Municipio (the Town Hall), situated at beautiful Piazza Municipio, was designed in neo-Baroque style and erected in 1907.
    The front facade of the building, and the one that is situated next to it, is nicely coloured with the ornaments. Too bad I didn't take the picture of it under the day light.

The Bell -Tower of the Cathedral

by croisbeauty Updated Feb 22, 2004

The Bell-Tower of the Cathedral

Favorite thing: See the very impressive and attractive bell-tower disagned in a pure Gothic style. I would like to see the very same scene under the bright sunny day. Hope to have sunny day next time I'll visit Bolzano.

Piazza Walther

by croisbeauty Updated Jan 11, 2004

Piazza Walther

Favorite thing: The Main Square of Bolzano nowadays is called Piazza Walther (von der Vogelweide), after German troubadour, however untill 1814 it was called Johannsplatz. The monument of Walther stands right in the middle of the square.

Fondest memory: The busy and very spacious Piazza Walther is the centre of the city.

Duomo

by croisbeauty Updated Jan 11, 2004

The Cathedral of Bolzano

Favorite thing: The Cathedral of Bolzano was dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta and it is the most significant Gothic stayled cathedral in the area between Milan and Ulm.
    It was built in the 14th and 15th centuries with an elegant apse, a steep tile roof. Fine doorways and reliefs adorn the exterior, and three aisled interior has frescoes of the 14th to the 16th centuries.

he had gone home

My Dad & I in front of the grapes in Italy

Fondest memory: Luckily, we had reservations for the train as it was quite crowded and our goodies came in handy in making the four hour plus trip go by more pleasantly. We’d found some nice looking crusty bread and local prosciutto-type ham, cherries and a bottle of local red wine. I hadn’t drunk wine on a train in many years and doing it with my 86 year old father who generally doesn’t drink was fun. The dark skies finally produced some rain and having just escaped in time, we were relieved to not only have avoided getting wet but also to have this all important pilgrimage behind us. My Dad would later remark that Italy was not as clean or organized as the German places and throughout the trip Mittenwald would surface time and again as his clear favorite. But there had been some moments in Italy where he seemed at peace and he certainly looked it when sitting in Bolzano cathedral that very morning. We enjoyed some meals that while not classically Italian were very much dishes of that region, and we were , in fact, in Italy, even if it was once part of the Austrian Empire. And now, sitting on the train, riding through the mountains of Italy, his family’s homeland, he was drinking a local Italian red wine and munching on crusty bread filled with a local ham similar enough to prosciutto if smoked and called Speck by the German speakers in the region. Small details like this didn’t matter; he was relaxed, enjoying life and he had done what his father and mother never could, he had gone home.

A good place to spend the night in Bolzano is here

Instant Answers: Bolzano

Comments

Bolzano Favorites

Reviews and photos of Bolzano favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bolzano sightseeing.