Arezzo Favorites

Main gates of Arezzo, Italy
  • Building with shields/plaques, Arezzo, Italy
    Building with shields/plaques, Arezzo,...
  • Inside San Donato Cathedral, Arezzo, Italy
    Inside San Donato Cathedral, Arezzo,...

Most Recent Favorites in Arezzo

Santa Maria Square

Santa Maria Square, Arezzo, Italy

Favorite thing: Entering the Santa Maria Square after we had walked down from the highest point in the old town of Arezzo, was a pleasant shady surprise. We found shops, butchers and more along the sides of the square. We stopped in at one shop for a drink here and sat down outside to enjoy this quiet place for a few moments before getting back to our feet and continuing our hike through Arezzo. As you can see in the last photo in this group, many of the streets seem to be like deep valleys that you have to traverse to get to the quiet meadows of the square.

• Hiking and Walking

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Interesting things on the streets of Arezzo

Models, enjoying lunch, Arezzo, Italy

Favorite thing: Well things that catch my eye anyway.
    The first photo shows to young girls who we thought were just enjoying a sandwich and glass of wine, then we noticed that there were a group of photographers snaping away, apparently a model shoot.
    The second photo is a beautiful set of old mailboxes, just waiting for those VT postcards.
    The third photo shows a set of 4 interlocking wooden panels, something like those aluminum rolldown doors used to close shops today, this is the old version.
    The fourth photo shows a set of lovely wooden doors that I would love to have at home.
    The fifth and last photo shows a little TINY Fiat, you would have to fold-spindle-mutilate me to get me to fit in this...I guess this was the first line of cars designed specifically for midgets. I could use this at home for a plant holder in the living room.

• Photography

Cathedral of San Donato

San Donato Cathedral, Arezzo, Italy

Favorite thing: Located on the main street leading up to the fort and gardens at the top of the hill located within the walled city, the Cathedral of San Donato is a very striking structure. The interior is not as overly ostentatious as many we have seen in Europe, but its less overpowering interior design actually made it more pleasant for me.

• Religious Travel

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Building with symbols, what do they mean?

Building with shields/plaques, Arezzo, Italy

Favorite thing: Okay, this is the building I spoke of in my introduction to Arezzo, as I said it may have been a type of guild meeting house, or at least that is what struck me as I studied the different plaques or shields with their totally dissimilar artwork. It looks as if each had been done by a different craftsman and put up at different times, possibly as each guild came of age or reached a certain size??
    I tried researching this building but could not find anything, but I have added a link below that you might enjoy on Arezzo. If you know what this structure is would appreciate the information to add here. Thanks.

Fondest memory: http://www.officeoftourism.org/europe/italy/tuscany/arezzo.asp

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Come on in to the streets of Arezzo

Main gates of Arezzo, Italy

Favorite thing: The old town (walled) of Arezzo is not that large that you cannot take a few hours to walk ALL the streets, but we basically followed the path of least resistance...from the entrance gate where we saw the small lion figure guarding the entrance, we followed the main street up to the apex of the town and then took a different street leading down toward that tower.

• Hiking and Walking

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Countryside

by Mikebond Written Jul 8, 2006

trees with bell-tower

Favorite thing: Arezzo is surrounded by a wide countryside and you can see green areas everywhere, even without going far from the town centre. Relax a little while looking at these photos, taken from the top of the Palazzo dei Priori.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Arezzo from above

by Mikebond Updated Apr 30, 2010

view from above

Favorite thing: These photos of Arezzo were taken from the top of the Palazzo dei Priori and show many red roofs, typical of Toscana and other Central Italian regions.

Instant Answers: Arezzo

Comments

Arezzo Favorites

Reviews and photos of Arezzo favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arezzo sightseeing.