Local Eating, Florence

Muse Café - from the Bargello
  • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

N/A: Tipping

by GracesTrips Updated Mar 28, 2015

In Italy, you do not really leave a tip. If you choose to do so, it's a matter of rounding up a euro or two at the most. Most restaurants basically collect a "tip" in their cover charge which could be a "using table" charge or by charging you for the bread they bring to the table. Some restaurants flat out have a convenience charge of €5.00.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Small Local Friut Shops: Eat The Fruit

by RoscoeGregg Updated Dec 6, 2012

As you stroll through Florence you find very fine fresh fruit shops. There is a great abundance of fresh localy grown fruit. It is inexpensive and delicious. What better way to remember Italy than to eat food close to the soil of Italy.

Favorite Dish: I look for things I cannot have at home. The fresh muscat grapes were unbelivable. My companions would not leave me alone when I had some.

Hand Me MY Wallet!!! Easy To Spot I Wish I Had Access To A Kitchen Barbara Compares Produce With Our Produce Just Great

• swiftfoot's Profile Photo

Gelateria de Piazza: Best Gelato

by swiftfoot Written Nov 22, 2011

set in a medieval piazza in San Gimignano, the gelateria stands out - its multi-color gelato contrasts sharply amid the stone surroundings. Its announcement in neon lights that it is a member of the Italian team that was awarded (by whom, it does not say) best gelato in 2006 and 2008 is one reason it attracts a swarm of gelato lovers at any time of the day. the queue can be very long..

Gelateria de Piazza - best gelato awardee

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Snack bars and cafes: You apparently can't eat for cheap

by Jefie Updated Oct 24, 2010

To save a few bucks during our week in Florence, we were hoping we could get by eating one big meal a day. Breakfast was included at our hotel so that wasn't an issue, and we were hoping to find some cafes or snack bars where we could score a cheap but delicious lunch the way we'd done in Paris by eating amazing baguettes, cheese, cold cuts or crepes for less than 5 Euros. Finding a cafe wasn't really a problem; there were several all over the city. The main problem was that they were still fairly expensive, and the food wasn't all that good. We tried several different ones located in different areas of the city, hoping we'd finally be able to find something like a good sandwich shop, but to no avail - practically everything we tried was dry and not particularly fresh. In the end, I must confess, we gave up and had lunch at McDonald's!!

Favorite Dish: Well, after eating bad sandwiches for a week, that cheeseburger felt pretty darn good, and the fact that it only cost 1 Euro was the icing on the cake!

It looks good, but...

• milliturtle's Profile Photo

L'Antico Trippaio: Florence Street Food

by milliturtle Written Jun 24, 2010

L'Antico Trippaio is actually a food cart that sells different types of sandwiches, including some Florence specialties like lampredotto (cow stomach), trippa alla fiorentina (tripe), and bollito (boiled beef or beef briskets). Each panino is 3.50 euros (when we went in May 2010) and each type of sandwich is served with its own special sauce, available in mild or spicy. You can also buy wine to go with your panino.

We visited the cart located at Piazza Dei Cimatori, 9, tucked away in a quiet corner a couple of minutes from the Palazzo Vecchio. For those who don't mind eating ... um... different parts of the cow, these panini are must-tries. The meat and sauce are so tasty that we actually went back for more the next day. As we are eating our panini at the side of the cart, we noticed that many of his customers are locals. One thing though - bring lots of napkins - eating a panino with sauce while standing could get quite messy.

If you don't want to try the specialties, there are lots of other, more traditional, choices of panini. I wished I had a chance to try the pork sandwich because that sounds yummy.

Favorite Dish: Bollito - the sauce is very good, the meat is juicy and well marinated. Also, this is just beef briskets, so for those who don't eat innards, this is a good choice.

We also liked the trippa and lampredotto, but I guess the trippa beat out the lampredotto slightly because we like the texture more. Even though we sometimes use tripe in Chinese and Vietnamese noodles, the Florentine version is a bit different. It seemed to be less chewy. The sauce is also different, a bit more creamy.

This is actually the trippa alla fiorentina Menu of the day

• jorgec25's Profile Photo

Trattorias: Try the local food, at the local places!

by jorgec25 Written Jun 16, 2009

I went to 3 different Pizzarias/Trattorias whe i was in Florence. There are several that are very good. As long as you choose the ones that stay far from Ponte Vecchio, Palazzo Vecchio or the Duome area, you get good prices and very good food. Besides the Pizzas, try the Risottos and the Gnocchi, that are delicious. Also taste the wine. Choose the house wine, since it has a very good price/quality ratio. Try to choose the places that indicate thas "Service is included", or otherwise you can pay a "copperto".

Favorite Dish: Cheese Gnocchi, Seafood Risotto and Pizza!

delicious cheese gnocchi
    • Wine Tasting

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

Dining in Florence: Florentine Restaurant Guide

by cpiers47 Written May 10, 2009

An expat living in Florence has created this incredibly comprehensive restuarant guide for the city. If you're looking for a restaurant of a certain type or in a specific neighborhood, the categories and maps will prove useful.

This is by far the most accessible resource for Florentine dining that I've seen!

**Disclaimer: I'm in no way connected to the site other than having reviewed some of my favorite places. VT is a great spot to find restaurant locations as well, but this collection for Florence really is worth exploring.

Favorite Dish: http:www.dininginflorence.com

• rkearns's Profile Photo

plain old window shopping

by rkearns Updated Oct 14, 2008

This may not be considered a restaurant tip, but we eat with our eyes, so I thought it appropriate to add this glorious photo to the mix...you don't always have to dine out. Buy some salami and cheese and make yourself a satisfying meal in your hotel room. After all, we all know that dining out not only breaks the budget during long trips, but it also gets to be pretty fattening. Indulge on your own terms!

genitalia pasta

• ema522's Profile Photo

The little bakery on Borgo Pinti

by ema522 Written Jul 22, 2008

This was a find! It's a tiny bakery shop on Borgo Pinti, on the same block as the Monna Lisa hotel where I was staying, but sadly I didn't discover it until halfway through my stay. Bread is their main stock in trade but that's not the real draw for the average traveler who can't use a whole loaf of bread, fresh and delicious as it may be. There's a case full of small round things that look like little pies, both savory & sweet, and that's what you're after. The savory pies are actually a bit like pizzas but without cheese or tomato, and they have a tender crust like foccaccia. You can pick up a sackful and a cold drink or bottle of water for a cheap yet delicious lunch. Once I discovered them, I ate them every day and sometimes twice a day.

Favorite Dish: I wish I knew the name for those savory little pies! The crust was light and crisp from being baked with olive oil, and they had several different fillings. My favorites were the onion, potato, and especially the fresh porcini mushroom (yet another great thing about being in Italy in autumn is gobbling up all those fresh porcinis that we can't get in the U.S.).

Go during the day when it's open!

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Bar-Pizza-Ice Cream: Cute Cafe....Not So Cute Food

by msbrandysue Written Jun 14, 2008

This small cafe sits on the Piazza Santa Croce. The waiter wasn't friendly but he wasn't rude. We ordered the two slives of pizza that seemed like they were Stouffer's French Bread Pizza (not very good). The prices were, of course, way too high as they were in a central place.

However, you're only here once. It didn't put us out of the bank or anything but if you're looking for every meal to be precious then pass this up for sure.

Favorite Dish: Na...

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Various little shops: Italian fast food

by Herkbert Written Jun 8, 2008

While walking around, we were just stopping for something quick for lunch. There were plenty of places in Florence where you could grab a sandwich, piece of pizza, plus many other things. The thing we liked the most was that everything was fresh and ready to eat, though most of the shops would heat or toast your sandwich if you wanted.

With a bottle of water or soda, you could find a place to relax and enjoy a mini picnic.

Favorite Dish: A sandwich of mozzarella, tomato and prosciutto was a great afternoon treat.

Great sandwiches See anything you like?

• lizzie1715's Profile Photo

Numerous around Della Signoria: Fast Food Florence Style

by lizzie1715 Updated Feb 22, 2008

Fast, is the only thing that McDonalds, KFC, Red Rooster et al, have in common with Florence's fast food shops. In Florence they sell real food, beautiful rollsstuffed with parma ham, fresh tomatoes, lettuce... Fantastic. Pasticerrias also sell beautiful sweets and hot chocolate second only to that found in Barcelona. The gelato remains a favourite

A word of warning though! If you want to trully try all the fast foods available, plan on putting on at least a kiligram per week.

For this particular tip I will let the pictures do the talking

Is this really better than Maccas? Ready made sandwiches never tasted so good at home Brilliant hot chocolate sold here Limoncello-a must try in Italy

• olgaehr's Profile Photo

Best Tuscan Dinner

by olgaehr Written Jan 17, 2008

Nothing better then making your own dinner, and you don't even need a kitchen for that. There are plenty of nice little deli shops and wine stores. You can buy your own salumi, marinated veggies, deserts and of course nice Tuscan wine.

Favorite Dish: Salumi, fresh bread

Awesome food nipozzano chianti rufina

• mileslunn's Profile Photo

Italian Food

by mileslunn Updated Jul 26, 2007

If you are a fan of Italian food, you will definitely love Italy as the dishes are far better than what you will get at a typical Italian restaurant elsewhere. For starters, prosciutto or carpaccio are the best. For first course, try anyone of their pastas and don't worry if you are unsure of them as unlike in most Canadian and American restaurants where there are only a few good pastas, most will be good here. For the secondi, try either their Veal or Pesci (fish), while for desserts, their gelatos or sorbettos are the best. In addition you can get a gelato at many ice cream places. For drinks, wine is the most popular, but if like me, you prefer beer, that works too. For dessert, though try some of their lemoncello, which is more popular in the South of Italy, but also served in Florence. Their espresso and capuccinos are small compared to what most are used to, but are much stronger so don't have them if you are up late unless you want to be up all night. Instead, order a decaffeinated one if in the evening.

• RuiPT's Profile Photo

Always pasta: Pasta

by RuiPT Updated Sep 20, 2006

It’s amazing but the Italians eat “pasta” all days and every time they eat the pasta appears. I loved pasta and I don’t mind to eat pasta all times. In Portugal we are used to eat soup at the beginning of the meat and it’s a little strange to us so much pasta.

All kind of pastas