Florence Restaurants

The entrance of the restaurant
    The small summer terrace
  • The
    The "Renaissance Room"

Most Recent Restaurants in Florence

Trattoria Gozzi Sergio: quick & authentic local lunch

by brendareed Written Jun 14, 2014

This little gem was just down the street from our hotel and a wonderful place for a quick authentic lunch. The hand written menu changes daily but includes salads and pasta dishes. We both got a pasta dish that was really tasty! The service was very fast and the food was delicious! It got rather crowded and it seemed to be mostly locals eating there – always a sign of a good place to go! The prices were cheap – my meal was less than €5 – cheaper than the pizza down the street!

It is on the street across from San Lorenzo and behind the vendor stalls. It is rather obscure and hard to find if you don’t know it is there. I walked past it several times until a friend told me about it and we went together. Too bad I learned of it towards the end of my week in Florence because I would definitely have liked to go again.

Ristorante Acqua al 2: delicious food - great service - fun atmosphere

by brendareed Written Jun 14, 2014

We had a group dinner at this wonderful restaurant – there were about 25 of us so we had a back room of this very busy restaurant. As a group, we had limited selections since we were trying to streamline our orders – so we went with an assorted pasta selection and an optional steak selection. The pasta, which was a sampling of five different kinds of pastas and sauces, was €12. Those that added the steak to their meal – a sampling for three kinds of steaks (enough for two people to share) – the total bill was €25 for both meat and pasta. The wine was very good and the service was great.

The restaurant has a lot of plates on the walls that have been decorated by famous people in the entertainment industry – and the room we were in was also decorated with trashcans from “Stomp”, a piano, and other paraphernalia from theatre productions. The owner brought out a plate and let our group design one of our own – not for the wall (since we weren’t famous enough, I guess) but he let us keep the plate as a souvenir of our meal and week in Florence.

One thing I found interesting that I hadn’t seen before is the television that allows you to watch the cooks in the kitchen while they work! I saw our food being prepared and then given to our waiter who appeared in seconds at our table after seeing him on the tv!

Doing some research for this tip, I learned that the restaurant has three locations – Florence, Washington, DC, and San Diego, CA. It was on the bottom of the placemat all this time and I just noticed it!

As we left for the evening, we walked back through the rest of the restaurant and it was crowded. Looks like a place you need to go early or make reservations. I would return again since the food was delicious and the service very good.

The Diner: Florence's only diner

by brendareed Written Jun 14, 2014

This restaurant came highly recommended from a friend. It is probably the only American style diner in Florence and that is why it started – the owners realized that sometimes people visiting in a foreign land get homesick for food from home. Thus, The Diner was born…

At The Diner you can get breakfast all day long, burgers and fries, shakes – all that traditional diner fare – for a price that won’t bust your wallet. Classic hamburger and fries will run you about €9. And the food is really, really good. Just a fun place to go for a change of pace!

The Diner is on a back street – you would really miss it if you didn’t know it was there – just around from the Bargello. Their website has a map (but not much more). The bright orange seats outside will tell you when you are there! They are open daily from 9:00 am to 10:30 pm.

• brendareed's Profile Photo

Francesco Vini: wonderful food and wine

by brendareed Written Jun 14, 2014

My husband and I ate stopped here twice on our first trip to Florence. We were introduced to the restaurant and its owner through a friend and each time had a wonderful experience. Our first stop was in the afternoon and we stopped in for some wine. The hospitality was superior. We were given a tour of their wine cellar – which is part of the Roman excavations of the amphitheatre - it was impressive! And the wine was wonderful too.

We went there a second time for dinner. It was a beautiful day so we ate outside. We allowed the owner to select our meals – starter, main course and dessert – and everything was Italian, fresh and delicious. It was a pleasant evening as we got to know the couple that sat at the table beside us who were from Wales. They were on their third visit to this restaurant and agreed that they hadn’t had a bad meal yet.

The service was top notch – anything we requested we received. At the end, we decided to buy one of the bottles of the wine from their selection that we enjoyed so much – and my husband requested the bottle with the upside down label (it was on display with the rest of them). So we have a unique memento from a wonderful experience!
    Francesco, the owner, stood watch over the evening and was quick to notice if anything was askew with any of his guests. It was fascinating to watch his sense of hospitality and fast response.

I had hoped to return on my second trip, but during a discussion with our server (the owner’s son), I learned that he would be celebrating his honeymoon that same week and they would be closed. Sure enough, they were closed (I went by there just in case!). Maybe on my third visit to Florence…

Francesco Vini is located on one of the main pedestrian walks between the Palazzo Vecchio and the Church of Santa Croce. Very easy to find.

Hard Rock Cafe: classic burgers and fries

by brendareed Written Jun 14, 2014

I know lots of people that are Hard Rock enthusiasts; I’m not one of them, although I don’t mind eating at one when I’m with a group. The food is good and the atmosphere is fun. I went to the Florence Hard Rock with some friends on one of the days we had an extended lunch break – it is not the place to go for a quick meal. We all had a good time and our server was lots of fun.

The menu was the standard Hard Rock menu – lots of burgers and other standard fare at what I think are expensive prices. I got the classic burger that comes with fries for €15, drinks were extra. It’s a lot of food so if you are a light eater, you could easily share with a friend.

The restaurant is pretty new – our server said it has only been in the city for about 6 months. As with all Hard Rock Cafés, they decorate with band memorabilia and have a pair of Michael Jackson’s pants, a shirt worn by Elvis, and a card signed by all four Beatles, plus lots of other things.

They have a restaurant and bar area with different opening times. The bar has bands that play at night – a list is on the door and on their website. As with all Hard Rocks, they have a shop that sells t-shirts, hats, and pins.

Centrally located near the Piazza della Repubblica, not far from the Cathedral.

RESTAURANT:
    Sunday - Thursday 12.00 - 24.00
    Friday and Saturday 12.00 - 1.00
    BAR: Sunday -Thursday 8.30 - 1.00
    Friday and Saturday 8.30 - 2.00
    COFFEE BAR & ROCK SHOP:
    Mon-Sun 8.30 - 24.00

• brendareed's Profile Photo

Pizzeria a Taglio: pizza by the slice to go

by brendareed Written Jun 14, 2014

I would stop at this pizzeria on my way back to the hotel for the afternoon lecture. It was quick and easy, which meant I could spend the rest of my lunchtime taking photos or enjoying the city. It is nicely located in the Piazza di San Giovanni – which is the piazza the Baptistry is located in. It is in the row of shops behind the north doors (and entrance to the Baptistry).

They have a variety of pizzas – my preference was the sausage. You pay per 100g – they weigh it for you after cutting off your piece, then pop it into the oven for a quick heating while you pay. Then you are on your way quickly. The price is €1.30 per 100g and my pieces (approximately 6 inches by 9 inches – rectangular shaped) typically were around €5. You can purchase drinks there and even eat in their downstairs area if you like. But on nice days, grab it to go and enjoy the scenery!

For meat lovers – remember that pepperoni will get you peppers so if you want pepperoni (meat) you need to ask for salami.

Ristorante Nuti: fast and friendly

by brendareed Written Jun 14, 2014

A group of us had dinner here on one of our nights in Florence. Our server was a super friendly young guy that was funny and quick to take care of anything we needed. The food was delicious and the service fast.

I had the Ribollita soup – a thick vegetable and bread soup that came with a side of bread. It was delicious and exactly what I was looking for. Others with me had pizza, calzone, bruschetta, tortellini, and salads. No one complained about their food, in fact, all reviews were very favorable!

As with most Florence restaurants, they do charge a cover, which was €1 in addition to your meal and tip. But it advertised in the front of the restaurant and on the menu. But the overall menu prices were very reasonable (my soup was 7.50, pizzas started at 6.50, large bottle of water 2.50).

It was a busy restaurant but one that several members of our party returned to again and again during our stay in Florence. The restaurant is about a block from the Baptistry and near the San Lorenzo Church. Highly recommend!

• babaparis's Profile Photo

rivoire: beware of the "rivoire"

by babaparis Written Jun 4, 2014

i went to Firenze two month ago .
    i visited the "Piazza della Signoria" . i decided to go on the "bar perseo" to eat an ice cream .

the woman of the "bar perseo " told at my friends and me that one ice cream cost 5 euros .
    the woman asked me if we wanted to have a biscuit to put on the ice cream . we said " NO , NO !" but , she put the biscuits on the ice creams : it was 0,30 euros the biscuit . i said her that i didn't want the biscuit but it was too late . i was a little bit irritated but i payed .
    when the woman gave us the bill , it was not 15 euros for 3 people but it cost 30 euros . we didn't nderstand why but we had the obligation to pay .... desgusting .
    the ice cream was great but it was a con . i think the woman of the "bar perseo" saw we was stupid tourists and easy to con .

Ristorante Giglio Rosso: Good but somewhat disapointing

by oriettaIT Written Mar 3, 2014

Our Fiorentina steak

Having fail to go to the suggested place for Fiorentina steak, the last day we were in Florence we settled for this restaurant that was suggested to us by a guy at the market.
    I can't say the food was bad, it was actually pretty good but I was kind of disappointed by our Fiorentina. Probably because I had a gigantic expectation build up, but I expected it to be much tastier..
    The restaurant is very big, divided in several rooms, simply and modern decorated.
    The menu has a good variety of food

Favorite Dish: We ordered an appetizer, 1.3kg Fiorentina steak, water and half liter of house red wine and the bill was 84 euro.
    As I said, everything was quite good and I really have no complaints, but still I was disappointed.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Hosteria del Bricco: Great find on the other side of the river

by oriettaIT Written Mar 3, 2014

Front door

This restaurant was recommended to me by a local friend, I was told it was one of the best option to have a good Fiorentina steak without spending an arm and a leg. Unfortunately they forgot to tell me I had to book it a day ahead as the owner explained me that they always try to get the perfect cut of meat for each steak hence they go get it only upon a order.
    I have the true intention of going back next time I visit Firenze!
    Even if we could not have the wished Fiorentina we decided to stay for lunch anyway as by the time we reached them we were starving!
    The dining area is nicely decorated with traditional object, cozy and quiet.
    The staff is friendly and helpful and the whole place is very clean.
    They have a good variety of traditional food with some interesting personal touches.
    It does not hurt that their prices are lower than most of the other restaurants in the center!!

Favorite Dish: We had the best Crostini toscani misti of the trip! We only ordered one portion and they presented us an entire basket of toasted bread and a selection of five spread, liver pate, onion pate, peppers pate (spicy), mushroom and eggplants. A really big portion, order for one was more than enough for two people, and for 8 euros!
    I had Pappa col pomodoro, another traditional soup made of tomatoes and stale bread, it come from the recycling tradition of the pheasant when people invented all sort of trick to reuse food and avoid waste. It was very tasty and nice even if I decided I like Ribollita better.
    my partner ordered a twicked carbonara with wild board meat sauce, not my taste but very well made.
    We also shared a second course witch was a beef meat rool stuffed with artichoke and with a side of peas.
    The bill, was 50 euros for two people including a bottle of water and a liter of Chianti house wine.

• Trattoria Marione: Good Location AbovAverage Neighborhood Restaurant

by hongkong88 Written Mar 2, 2014

This restaurant is similar to many enighborhood placs that dit Florence but my wife and I thought it was a cut above. For one thing the decore was tasful and gave the place some personaality. The food was fine. You can get pizza and basic meals and good deserts. It is nothing fancy and perhaps a half step above similar places nearby but we liked it.

Favorite Dish: I'll tell you what I had which was the beef stew. Like the serveral other stews I had in Florence this one was too salty. I am not a salt nazi and don't mind seasoning but in Florience they seem to go overboard and Marione was an example.

Da Nerbone: Dine at the market

by oriettaIT Written Feb 28, 2014

Nerbone stall in the San Lorenzo Market building

Nerbone is an institution in Florence eating. The stall is situated inside the Mercato di San Lorenzo building and has been serving street food since 1872.
    They used to serve only sandwiches but have also been adding a lunch service after 12.00.
    The most typical food they serve is sandwich with Lampredotto. Lampredotto is made with a part of cow's stomach and it is truly good, much better than it sound! The sandwich is juicy and delicious.
    They also have sandwich with roasted pork, also delicious and other stuff.
    The Lunch menu include Ribollita soup, pasta dishes, roast meat dishes and veggies.
    You can accompany your lunch with a good glass of Chianti.
    They have a small dining area with rustic table, you can sit there to eat your snack or lunch but expect it to be very crowded after 12.30 as locals know it well and use it regularly, also expect to share table with other people.

Favorite Dish: We stopped for a late morning break and shared a Arista (roasted pig) sandwich (4 euros) and had a glass of Chianti (1 euro).
    Their prices are generally lower than any restaurant and the food is better than most!
    expect to pay around 5-6 euros for a first course and 7-8 for a second course.

Ristorante Marina: Russian in Florence

by oriettaIT Updated Feb 27, 2014

Borsh soup

This restaurant was a delightful surprise! I read about it online so I knew I had to try it.
    From a superficial look it seem the usual Tuscan restaurant offering the usual stuff, but it has a hidden surprise! It is run by a Russian family and, beside the regular Tuscan touristic menu they have another one with Russian specialty.
    The waiters (daughters) are friendly and welcoming and they will explain you anything you want to know about their food, the cook (mother) will also come out and tell you recipes etc if you ask.
    The dining area has a few tables with nice traditional Russian decor and it is clean.
    We liked this place a lot for the great food and the relaxing atmosphere, we came back twice and wished we could be there more often.

Favorite Dish: We tried the herrings salad as appetizer, it is funny called "aringhe sotto la pellicia" (herring under the fur coat), it is a salad made of boiled potatoes, mayo, herrings, beats and it has a coat of grated hard boiled eggs. Very tasty.
    I absolutely loved their Borsch soup, so much I asked for the recipe and have been making it at home several times. It is a lovely soup made of onion, carrot and beats, it can be served with or without meat and it is topped with sour cream. Perfect in a cold day.
    We also tried the dolmas, meat and rice patties cooked in cabbage leaves, their ravioli with a potatoes and meat filling and their stew.
    Their food is simple but cooked like at home and delicious.
    They serve Russian beer called Baltika, it has different kind going from 2 to 7, the difference is the alcohol percentage or the style of brewery.

Al Sasso di Dante: Good value near Duomo

by oriettaIT Written Feb 27, 2014

Crostini misti

This restaurant was recommended to me as one of the best value in the Duomo area.
    It is very small and has a few tables inside plus a outdoor area that is only used during the good season. It has been there for a long time and it has lots of loyal customers that keep coming back.
    It is not unusual to be seated together with other people as there is really not much room, but it is worth it.

Favorite Dish: We tried some of the Tuscan typical dishes, a appetizer of mixed crostini (Crouton), they had different topping: liver pate, tomato and garlic, beans, kale and good tuscan oil.
    I then had a ribollita soup, I just love this stuff! It is a vegetable soup made with kale (cavolo nero), beans and other veggie mixed with tuscan bread, really delitious.
    My partner had a portion of peposo, a Tuscan stew made of beef with abundant black peppercorn , very good even if you must like black pepper!
    We had water and two glasses of good wine and our total bill was of 56.4 Euro.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

La Falterona.: A hidden restaurant.

by Maurizioago Updated Feb 10, 2014

This restaurant takes its name from a mountain. I spotted it by chance, because it is hidden in a backstreet.

It is a quite chic restaurant, but their prices are affordable in my opinion.

I was given a small aperitivo and a couple of appetizers before my dinner. These were included in the price.

There is a big choice of dishes on their menu.

Favorite Dish: Pasta with aubergines was very good. The second time I went to that restaurant I had meat and vegetables. I don' t remember the name of this dish. This was very good too.

Instant Answers: Florence

Comments

Florence Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Florence restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Florence sightseeing.