Florence Restaurants

• The
    The "Renaissance Room"

Most Recent Restaurants in Florence

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Pino' s Caffè.: A restaurant near Ponte Vecchio.

by Maurizioago Updated Feb 9, 2014

This is a tiny restaurant that can accomodate nine or ten people. There are some tables in a covered gallery outside though. The ambience is very simple. It is the right place to have a good meal after a visit to Palazzo Pitti, or if you aren' t far from Ponte Vecchio.

At Pino's you can find a good choice of food. Various kinds of pasta and meat are on their menu.

As far as I know this restaurants is opened only for lunch until april.

Favorite Dish: Pasta ai quattro formaggi (noodles with four cheeses) was very good. Arista (meat) with baked potatoes was very good too.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Trattoria Marina: Russian Experience!

by painterdave Written Jan 26, 2014

Borsch, well made and tasty

This restaurant has two menus, one with Tuscan cuisine and one with Russian. The owners are Russian who moved to Firenze some years ago. We went there to have Russian food and were pleased so much that we went back a second time.
    They even serve Russian beer, which we as residents of Italy cannot find.
    Everything was served fairly quickly, and they stopped at our table to answer questions about the preparation of food, and their moving to Firenze.
    Menu also in English
    Bathrooms were clean, all was tidy and the decor was things from Russia.
    If you are in Florence and need a break from Italian, this is a best bet.
    Prices are reasonable, too.
    Don't let what you see in the very front of the restaurant push you away, this place is great! You will dine in the rear area.

Favorite Dish: Herring Salad is to die for!
    Borsch, vegetarian or meat
    Dolma
    Their menu is limited, but what they have is enjoyable.

• Business Travel

Osteria Vecchio Vicolo: Fiorentina and More

by painterdave Updated Jan 26, 2014

Mixed Pates From Heaven

Top of our list for having a great Fiorentina was this Osteria, however, we did not know to call ahead to make arrangements for this. (They don't just go and buy meat, but select it ahead of time, so expect a good cut.)
    So we happily chose other dishes, and they turned out to be a great surprise!
    I will go back to Vecchio Vicolo on my next visit.
    Set across the river from all the activity, we actually took the city bus to the top of the hill, got off at the statue of David and walked down to the river. The osteria is located at the bottom on Via Lambertesca. They are on the right as you walk from the beginning of the street.
    Quiet, clean, and a good menu with lots of selections.
    Bathrooms clean!
    Pleasant Owners

Favorite Dish: You MUST try to crostini misti.. They give you LOTS of pates of different types. I remember the liver, the mushroom, the onion, the artichoke and several others. This was the best selection and taste that I have had in Italy these past 5 years.
    Here is what we had, and we recommend:
    Papa Pomodoro, a soup made of tomatoes and soaked Tuscan bread
    Papardelle di cinghiale, pasta with wild boar
    Rolls made with meat and artichoke cooked in tomato sauce (Involtino)

Sasso di Dante: Tastes of Tuscany

Ribollita

Sasso di Dante was on our list of reviewed places to try, and we were not disappointed. Just outside the restaurant is the rock where, supposedly, Dante sat every day, hence the name Sasso, which means rock in Italian.
    The restaurant has many table places close together, but the food makes up for the lack of room.
    Clean, good service, and the menu is Tuscan, not one the is made to fit foreigners tastes, but the real thing.
    Prices seemed a bit lower than other places near the Duomo.
    If you are in Firenze for several days, you should take a good look at Sasso.

Favorite Dish: They feature Fiorentina at a price lower than other restaurants. (we checked out many to see what the charge per kilo was) Theirs was 39 euros.
    See photos to see what was chosen, as we did not have steak as we live in Italy and wanted to try Tuscan dishes other than steak.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Nerbone: Market Street Food (Popular)

Front of Nerbone

Serving tasty meat sandwiches since 1872 in the main market of Florence, this place lives up to its popularity. The sandwiches are not expensive, and full of meat that tastes so good. They provide a place to sit down at picnic tables, and their table wine is cheap, but good.
    This is a good place to sit and people watch.
    Afternoons....they serve lunch, not just sandwiches. It could be ribollita, or other dishes.
    This is a popular place listed in all good guide books on Firenze.

Favorite Dish: We had pork roast, but their specialty is tripe, called lampredotto in Italian. I did not have the courage to try it, but this is popular with the locals here. You will see lots of tripe in the meat markets in Florence.

• Museum Visits

• EugeneM's Profile Photo

Il Pizzaiuolo: THE pizza in Florence!

by EugeneM Written Jul 27, 2013

No two ways about it, pizza comes from Naples and points south. So when you're in Florence and have an uncontrollable hankering for the world's most perfect food, what do you do? You head for Il Pizzaiuolo! Owners Angelo (from Calabria) and Paikos (from Florence) have one of the most popular, fun and delicious little eateries in town.

The wood burning oven is in the main room for all to see. Just as in any good neapolitan pizzeria, there's a huge mirror hanging just over the oven door, behind the pizzaiuolo, angled in a way that everyone can watch him work. No cheating, no short cuts - simply the best pizza made with the best ingredients! Other stellar dishes on the menu are the very abundant antipasto of pizza fritta, arancini di riso and burrata, the friarielli (mouthwateringly scrumptious bitter broccoli rabe brought up especially for Angelo from Calabria) and the frittura di gamberi e calamari.

If you want a table on a Friday or Saturday night... make a reservation or you won't get in!

Favorite Dish: Pizza margherita with mushrooms, onions and Angelo's own hot peppers.

• EugeneM's Profile Photo

Bracerie Mangiafuoco: Tuscan cooking with pizazz!

by EugeneM Written Jul 13, 2013
    Warm and cozy, always friendly!

We're regulars at Bracerie Mangiafuoco, eat there at least twice a month. Owned by sisters Daniela and Rosita Sorice, this is a warm, welcoming, cozy little spot only minutes from the Accademia where you're likely to strike up a conversation with whoever's sitting at the next table. Frequented by locals yet attractive to visitors because of its' good food, reasonable prices and really friendly atmosphere, you just can't go wrong!

Favorite Dish: Rosita's "pici all'aglione" is my idea of what they serve in the dining hall on Cloud 9. Spicy, garlicky, with delicious home-made pici (the thick, hand-rolled spaghetti typical of Tuscany), it satisfies all my senses.

• Ciro&Sons Ristorante: Great family pizzeria in the centre of Firenze!

by Ivo_K Updated May 7, 2013

The entrance of the restaurant

This is a great Italian restaurant situated in the historic centre of Florence in a part of a building that used to be a residence of the late-Renaissance noble family of Pope Clement VIII Aldobrandini. The venue has a small summer terrace in front which is always crowded when is opened during the warm months of the year and two floors - the "Renaissance Room" on the first floor was painted by the artist Francesco Meucci in Italian Neoclassical style of the 18th century, on the second floor there are the so-called "Lounge Room" and the "Wine Cellar". The restaurant is run by a family and most of them are actually working there (the father is a chef, two brothers - waiters, etc.) - you can see the photos of all the family members on the walls of the stairs when you going to the second floor. The food they offer is delicious and covering all typical Italian dishes plus some fantastic desserts (you can get there also gluten-free food), they offer also a nice list of Italian wines (including their own label Ciro&Sons), different kinds of liquor (including some types of grappa) and Krombacher on tap, the staff is very kind and the service is good, the prices are average for Florence - we paid 290 EUR for a company of 8 people including two bottles of wine and the 15% service fee so I would recommend this pizzeria to all the guests of Florence who would like to enjoy the tasty Italian cuisine. You have to keep in mind though that it's working only around lunchtime and from 18:00 on, so if you want to get a reservation for a table outside you better plan it for early evening since they don't accept such for later on. The parking is an issue since the restaurant is on a small narrow street, you can pay in cash or by all most often used credit/debit cards.

Favorite Dish: The Insalata Italia and the Caprese salads, the 4 Cheeses and their Vesuvio pizzas, the Soufflè Cioccolato con Gelato Nocciola for dessert is a must!

Il Cantuccio: Top Notch Biscotti

by RoscoeGregg Written Dec 6, 2012

The Maestro At Work!

This little artisinal biscotti baker has become a highlight of our trips to Florence. It is owned and run by a woman that is committed ti creative and quality work. The ingredients are the finest and the workmanship is excellent.

The cost is very reasonable and the selection is wide.

We have started to carry a few of these in our day bag and they really hit the spot when you want a little lift. Be careful once our friends see that we have them they disapear

Favorite Dish: There is a flavor for everyone. I like everything I have had from this shop!

GROM: Great Tasting Gelato

Barbalicous Ready To Eat Delicious

Well after all my talk about chains. Beware of rules. There are other good gelato shops in Firenze. I just have to plug this one. Putting the chain thing aside.

The staff was very attentive and took the gelato seriously. The quality was high and the ingredients the highest quality. So they have earned a recommendation.

It is right near the Duomo so a convenient stop as you get tired of looking up.

If their web site is not just green washing ( hard to know anymore) they seem to care about small farms. Being a farmer that is a plus for me.

Favorite Dish: The flavors are well based on natural flavors. Our favorites were pistachio and nicholla.

Sabitino's: Fantastic Service & You Can Sit If You Wish

by RoscoeGregg Updated Dec 6, 2012
    This Guy! Makes you feel right at home.

This little cozy cafe is a great stop in the morning and they are great for lunch. It is allways well staffed. Most mornings the owner is there sporting his remarkable moustach.

They have good coffee and pastries. They will also throw together what they call an American breakfast. (eggs,ham, toast that kind of thing)

They also put out a great spread of sandwiches for lunch.

Like I said these people are really friendly and do great work. This cafe has been run by the owner's family for 100 years. So do yourself a favor and stop by for a bite.

Favorite Dish: We often make this our morning stop in Florence. We pick up sandwiches for day trips here also. Other people I have met there loved the full more American style breakfast.

Small Local Friut Shops: Eat The Fruit

Hand Me MY Wallet!!!

As you stroll through Florence you find very fine fresh fruit shops. There is a great abundance of fresh localy grown fruit. It is inexpensive and delicious. What better way to remember Italy than to eat food close to the soil of Italy.

Favorite Dish: I look for things I cannot have at home. The fresh muscat grapes were unbelivable. My companions would not leave me alone when I had some.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Ciro and Sons

by goodfish Updated Nov 12, 2012

We picked this one for our ‘big night out’ in Florence and couldn't have been happier. Online reviews I’d scanned had been consistently positive, and the meal, service and ambiance lived up to the rosy reports. The restaurant is housed in a Renaissance-era palace, just around the corner from the Medici Chapels, on a pleasant little hub of streets and has a narrow sidewalk terrace that is nicely glassed-in from passing pedestrians and traffic - which was mostly bicycles and motorbikes.

Not being big on reservations ( highly recommended for later-evening dining) we arrived at the opening hour to grab a table outside and watch the activity in the piazza. Dinner was a fresh and tasty salad apiece, an earthy funghi risotto for me, sweet pear and Pecorino ravioli with a drizzle of balsamic for the husband, 2 desserts plus a few glasses of wine: deliziosissima! This was our most expensive meal in Florence (about €70 ) but only because we did so many courses: prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food.

We tried to go back on our last night (Sunday) to try their wood-fired pizza - rumored to be amazing - but they’re closed on the Sabbath so no pie for us. :O( But coeliacs, this is a gold mine for you as, with 24-hr notice (call or email) they will cheerfully provide gluten-free pizza, and there are GF pastas, desserts and bread on the menu as well - all getting rave reviews from tender-tummied diners.

Lovely dining room with patches of 18th-century frescoes, casual terrace, additional dining upstairs, credit cards (Visa/Mastercard when we were there) accepted.

Open Hours: Monday from 06:00 PM to 10:30 PM, Tuesday to Saturday from 12:00 PM to 03:00 PM, Tuesday to Saturday from 06:00 PM to 10:30 PM

Once caution: restrooms are upstairs and I didn’t see an elevator so if you have mobility challenges, ‘go’ before you arrive.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Trattoria Garga: NOW CLOSED. See note below about new restaurant.

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Nov 4, 2012

Trattoria Garga, Florence, Italy 2005

It's been a long time since I lived in Florence, but when I did I loved this restaurant. It was beautiful with lots of atmosphere and the food was good with a twist. I am sad to say that it is closed, but the son of the owners has opened up another restaurant called La Cucina del Garga and I am sure that it will be equally as good and every bit as fun. See the blog, Over a Tuscan Stove, for an update.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Harry's Bar: Sophisticated, Elegantissimo, and Upscale

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Nov 4, 2012

Harry's

Update 1/14/06

I went to Harry's last night. Had two delicious Bellinis at 9E a piece and the gnocci with salmon which was delicious, even if not the most tender gnocci that I have ever eaten. The chocolate cake was not my style. More of a mousse cake which I don't like. The bill was about 50E which I consider expensive.

This is a very elegant bar and restaurant and the regulars, who knew each other, were obviously from among the wealthy Florentines. Even in their casual attire they were expensively dressed.

I was sorry that Leo, the owner from 10 years ago, had retired. I did recognize the bartender from that era, but not the maitre d' who has been there for 20 years. I believe all the others were relatively new.

It was still a real pleasure being there and brought back wonderful memories.

Ties are not necessarily required, but dress is still very nice, even if casual.

ORIGINAL POSTING

If you are dying for a real Martini (if you ask for a Martini in an Italian bar you will get a glass of Martini Rossi) or a Brandy Alexander, this is the place to go. Leo knows how to make them. He also makes an excellent Bellini.

This is a very sophisticated place much like Harry's in other cities, although, I believe they are each owned by different people. The drinks and food are excellent.

Since I was alone, I often went there for lunch, rather than dinner, although, I have seen women dining alone at dinner. The wait staff is very nice and they didn't treat me any differently than people who were with someone else.

I would suggest that you dress nicely-probably would not wear jeans nor shorts. They might require a tie. I don't remember.

Favorite Dish: Anything you order here will be good.

• Women's Travel
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Florence

Comments

Florence Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Florence restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Florence sightseeing.