Florence Restaurants

The entrance of the restaurant
    The small summer terrace
  • The
    The "Renaissance Room"

Best Rated Restaurants in Florence

Da Garibardi: Da Garibardi - on Mercato Centrale Square

by sue_stone Written Jan 27, 2008

Lunch at Da Garibardi

During our Sep 2007 visit to Florence we had lunch at Da Garibardi, which is located on Piazza del Mercato Centrale. Initially we tried to get a table at neighbouring Trattoria Za-Za, where we had eaten previously, but they were full. However, Da Garibardi looked good, and most importantly they had a table for four available on the shaded terrace at the front.

Da Garibardi turned out to be a great choice - we had a very enjoyable meal and friendly service, not to mention a very tasty bottle of vino.

Favorite Dish: To start, we shared an Antipasti platter which was a delicious appetiser. For main course, Mum and I couldn’t resist the Bistecca Fiorentina, which is a local speciality - basically a big t-bone steak. Dad also really enjoyed his steak with blue cheese sauce.

La Cantinetta Wine Bar: La Cantinetta Wine Bar

by sue_stone Written Jan 27, 2008

Vin Santo

During our brief visit to Florence in Sep 2007 we wanted somewhere to have a drink and a light dinner, as we had had a big lunch that day. We also didn't want to venture too far from our hotel, and just down the road we came across a good option - La Cantinetta Wine Bar.

La Cantinetta has a few tables out the front, but these were full when we arrived, so we ventured into the (too) brightly lit interior and chose a table near the bar. We were the only ones sitting inside at that stage, but plenty more people arrived throughout the evening.

Favorite Dish: We ordered a bottle of wine and started snacking on a few of the complimentary bar snacks. These whet our appetite, so we ordered a plate of prosciutto and cheese to share - the perfect accompaniments to a couple of glasses of red wine.

After this, the boys couldn't resist a glass of Vin Santo with cantucci biscuits for dipping. Thankfully there were enough biscuits for us all to have some.

• TRATTORIA LA CASALINGA: AUTHENTIC CHEAP ITALIAN FOOD

by ENGLISHMANABROAD Updated Mar 6, 2007

THIS PLACE IS A FAMILY RUN BUSINESS POPULAR WITH THE LOCALS AND INFORMED STUDENTS / TOURISTS. THE FOOD IS AUTHENTIC NORTH ITALIAN FARE WITH A PIZZA NO WHERE TO BE SEEN !!

THE FOOD IS SOURCED FROM LOCAL PRODUCE AND FRESHLY PREPARED BY COOKS, WHO DESPITE THEIR SENIOR YEARS, PREPARE GORGEOUS FOOD IN KEEPING WITH LOCAL CUSTOM.IF THE LOCALS EAT IN SOMETHING MUST BE RIGHT ?? THE CLIENTELLE COVERED ALL AGE GROUPS.

WE HAD A SUBSTANTIAL 4 COURSE MEAL & DRINKS FOR LESS THAN 50 EUROS - BARGAIN !!

IF YOU WANT FANCY EXPENSIVE FOOD WITH OPULENT CORPORATE SURROUNDINGS AND SLICK SERVICE THEN THIS IS NOT FOR YOU,IF LIKE ME HOWEVER YOU WANT THE REAL FEEL / TASTE OF ITALY; GREAT FOOD,ATMOSPHERE,FRIENDSHIP AND GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU....A GOLD MINE

(I USED TO LIVE IN ITALY FOR 3 YEARS SO I THINK I HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OF ITALIAN FOOD)

BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT !!

Favorite Dish: MY FAVOURITE DISH ,WHOSE NAME ESCAPES ME RIGHT NOW (I AM AT WORK !! ) WAS THE GRILLED PORK CHOP SERVED WITH SAUTEED POTATOES & MIXED SALAD...FRANKLY I COULD PRETTY MUCH EAT EVERYTHING ON THE MENU EXCEPT THE TRIPE (UGH!!!)

OTHER FAVOURITES ARE MOZZERALLA WITH PROSECUTTO HAM, TOMATOE BRUSCHETTA & SOMETHING I BELIEVE (LOOKED BAD TASTED GOOD) WAS LIVER PATE ON TOAST....AND THE RAVIOLI,CANNELONI,ETC ETC

• cpiers47's Profile Photo

I Fratellini: Panini Perfetti!

by cpiers47 Updated Jan 9, 2009

I read about this place in the Lonely Planet guide and circled it many times so that I couldn't possible forget to try it!

The panini are about 2.50 euro each and the selection is great! I tried a couple different but am sure you can't go wrong. This is an amazing price for the city center and it's no wonder that people line up for the sandwiches. The warm bread and fresh fillings are turned into a sandwich in front of you and it's clear this is a family business.

Service can be a bit brisk and the men working didn't have much patience for tourists - but, it was the high season. Don't be put off by the attitude - persevere for the best sandwich you'll eat in the city!

Favorite Dish: The website below is simply a link to a review. Scroll down for the info.

• susancallus's Profile Photo

Trattoria Al Trebbio: The Best Trattoria of Florence

by susancallus Written Jun 17, 2006

Me and my friend at Trattoria Al Trebbio

Trattoria Al Trebbio is the best where to eat the most delicious Italian lunch or dinner! It's very difficult in Italy to choose the best because the choice is too vast! :))) It offers the best on Italian typical food and everything is homemade! My friend and I had two different type of pasta so that we could taste both! :) Mine was Tagliatellini al Asparagus and Tagliatelle di verdura was my friend's choice. We couldn't decide which was the most delicious! The photos can help you to understand! :) Then the director of the Trattoria (Signor Antonio) who was so gentle and handsome with us suggested to take the 'Polpetti Fatti a Casa' and suggested us the desert as well. MMMMMMMMMMMHHHHHHH....SUPER!!!! My suggestion to you is also that you order their own home made wine and you will thank me while you're tasting it! :)))

Favorite Dish: everything we ordered was super buono! :)

• Seniors

• Zio Gigi: Don't miss Zio Gigi, great local Osteria

by JOG1151 Written Aug 9, 2006

We were told about this retaurant by someone who had visited Italy numerous times, great tip!!! It was in a local neighborhood, on a side street, several blocks from The Duomo in Florence. We never would have found this restaurant on our own as it was a little off the beaten path. There was a fixed price menu for lunch however, we went for dinner, and it was well worth the taxi ride from our hotel. I knew it was going to be very good as the place was crowded with all locals speaking Italian.

Favorite Dish: After being in Italy for almost 6 days, I was starting to tire of the pasta dishes, and was actually craving a steak. I decided to order the beef filet with porcini mushrooms, what an excellent choice. The meat was grilled perfectly, the seasoning was delicious, and the mushrooms were so fresh. My girlfriend also had a meat dish, and tried the Veal Scallopini, which was also amazing. For dessert we had a dark chocalate cake, which was home made and absolutely delicious.

• Il Portale: Location, Food, Price

by gaiusmarius Updated Mar 25, 2006

A charming, medium sized restaurant next to the Della Nazione hotel and on the south side of the Stazione. I was directed to this restaurant by a fellow resident at the Della Nazione who had eaten there every evening of their stay in Florence. After, our first meal there, we at there every evening. The menu is varied (from pizza to Florentine steak to pastas to the best gnocchi I have ever eaten). The only difficulty with the menu is one doesn't know what to choose, it is all so good. In fact, during our fourth evening there, we recognized many of the diners (both tourists & locals) who were also there on our previous nights. All pricing is most reasonable including the house wine which are also quite good. This was the best price I encountered for steak Florentine and it was superb. The steak for two costs more than two-steaks for one, but is larger than two steaks for one person. The filet is also superb. As mentioned, the gnocci were better than my mother made and hers were the previous champion gnocci. While we did not have the pizza, many of our acquaintences did and were highly satisfied. The prices vary according to what you order (obviously the Florentine steak for two (30 euros) was more than a pizza. The gnocchi were 61/2 euros. If I lived in Florence, I would certainly dine at Il Portale no less than once a week.

Favorite Dish: As described above, I can enthusiastically recommend the gnocci, Forentine steak for one or for two and the filet. I consider it my misfortune that i did not have the opportunity to eat my way through the entire menu. The staff is most accomodating and will make adjustments. Be aware (probably due to the american tourist clientle) that they will ask if you wish your steak, well, medium, or rare. Florentine steak is normally "very rare". I suggest you say that you wish your steak cooked as if for a native Florentine (which will be most rare).

• leics's Profile Photo

Vivoli: Still the best ice-cream in Florence

by leics Updated Apr 24, 2011

Vivoli exterior

This is, according to the 'Rough Guide', the best ice-cream in the city. It certainly is excellent and comes in numerous flavours.

Vivoli is a small cafe/bar, operating since 1930 and frequented by many locals. It makes its own ice-cream as well, and it is excellent.

It is highly recommended by me, as well as many other people (apparently). Maybe that's why the street isn't on the map provided by the Tourist Information Office? Perhaps they want to keep it a secret?

It was just as superb on my second visit. Try the 'fantasia'; nuts, glace cherries, candied peel. angelica, chocolate chunks, trifle sponge...wonderful!

And it was just as superb on my fourth visit in 2011...the fantasia is still wonderful (see photo) but you have a huge choice of flavours.

In 2011 a medium coppa (cup) cost 3.20euro. A bit pricey, but well worth it; think of it as a special treat.

But do expect the staff to be a bit dour. They have been every time I've visited; efficient enough (you pay at the cash register not at the ice-cream counter) but rather unsmiling.

• Women's Travel

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

Trattoria Da Guido: Excelent Little Family Run Place

by RoscoeGregg Updated May 5, 2011

This is a local resturant recomended by our hotel's owner. It was just fantastic. On a side street near the San Lorenzo Market it is quiet clean and very friendly. It is run by the whole family. The steak, pasta and wine were very good. They served an excelent Insalata mista and the bread is great.

I cannot say enough about the staff. They were as patient as Job with us. They were helpful and very professional. They keep a very clean kitchen. We never felt rushed or like we were unattened. Just a great place to catch a sure fire great meal.

Favorite Dish: I had a pasta fagoli that was very good. Our favorite was the tomato bread soup with a salad and wine. We had it twice. Once after a long chilly day of roaming around. It felt like iwas at my grandma's house i was so satisfied

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Trattoria Za-Za: Meat anyone!?

by sue_stone Written Nov 23, 2004

Bill and his giant steak!

We had an excellent lunch at Trattoria Za-Za.

We took a seat on the covered terrace, which overlooks the Mercato Centrale.

(Tip - Make sure you sit down in the right section/at the right tables as there are 3 different restaurants with seating in this area, all next to each other.)

Service was very friendly and helpful and it was just a really nice place to sit, eat, relax and drink!

Favorite Dish: Alex had a beef fillet with cognac and peppercorn sauce, and declared it one of the tastiest meals he had ever eaten!

Bill & Alison shared this huge steak in the photo with several side dishes.

It was all good.

Of course we needed a couple of litres of red wine to help with the digestion...

• Trains

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

La Ghiotta: Cheap Local and Tasty!

by sue_stone Written Nov 23, 2004

Alison feasting at La Ghiotta

La Ghiotta is a small restaurant a little off the tourist trail, which is popular with locals and the occasional tourist that stumbles across it.

It had been recommended to me by fellow VT'er HORSCHECK, so I was pretty keen to check it out.

We managed to squeeze into the last available table and happily settled down to some delicious local cuisine.

Favorite Dish: Alison had roast beef and assorted sides; Alex & Bill had huge calzone's and I had a fabulous home made style lasagne.

It was all good and all so cheap!!

The best thing of all is that 1 litre of house wine was only 4 euros! Bargain!!

I Ghibellini Pizzeria-Ristorante: Alfresco Pizza

by sue_stone Updated Nov 23, 2004

Wine & Pizza - what more do you need ??!!

We had a fairly cheap and reasonable dinner at I Ghibellini.

It is located on Piazza San Pier Maggiore, which is home to a few similar restaurants.

We chose it as it was busier than the others, the menu was varied and there was a table available on the terrace....it was also located close to our hotel.

We sat down with all intentions of sharing a couple of pizza's, as we were still a bit full from a big lunch......but once we had a glass of wine we threw caution to the wind and ordered up big!!

Favorite Dish: I had a tasty tuna and rocket pizza; Alison had a tuscan chicken dish; Alex had some pasta and Bill had a foccacia style pizza.

It wasn't the greatest meal ever, but was tasty and cheap, which is always good - that way we could justify heading off to buy gelato afterwards!! Is that wrong ?!!

• Business Travel

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Festival del Gelato: We scream for Icecream!

by sue_stone Updated Jan 27, 2008

Dad happy about his gelato

Ok, if you have been reading through my Restaurant tips it may appear that I eat way tooooo much gelato.....well, when in Italy, I do try to have it a least once a day ; ))

On our recent trip to Florence we checked into our hotel and then headed straight for Festival del Gelato for a couple of scoops from their vast selection of tempting flavours.

Festival del Gelato has the most flavours on offer of all the gelateria's in town, serves are generous and staff friendly.

There is nothing better than buying a gelato and then finding somewhere to sit in the nearby Piazza della Repubblica and enjoy.

Favorite Dish: They do lots of fresh fruit flavours here, and the bacio is great too.

On our visit in Sep 2007 we sat inside and ate our gelato. There is a toilet upstairs if you need it.

• zogfield's Profile Photo

I Tre Fratelli: Best priced and tastiest panini in Florence!

by zogfield Written May 17, 2007

This place is fantastic and a must for those wanting a quick, simple, but delicious sandwich in the middle of Florence for €2.50. The tiny, tiny 'hole-in-the-wall' style sandwich bar is located down a side street (off Florence's main shopping street, Via dei Calzaioli - connecting the Duomo to the Piazza della Signoria) and consists of a counter where two great guys prepare over 30 different types of panino - using many different types of salami, meats and cheese. You can also order a glass of wine here and place it on wooden racks on either side of the bar while you eat your sandwich. It's amazing how such a place can go unnoticed by the vast majority of tourists when it is so central! It really is tucked away into the wall though, and you'll only notice it by the large crowd of Italians hanging around it at lunchtime.
    Highly recommended for a very tasty but inexpensive snack. And perhaps a glass of chianti or two.

Favorite Dish: My personal favourite is number 15 - finocchiona (a Tuscan salami with fennel) and goat's cheese. They're all great though.

• leics's Profile Photo

Za'Za: Somewhere which seems to have been 'discovered'...

by leics Updated Apr 24, 2011

The mixed antipasti

I first visited Florence in 2006 and ate at Za/'Za because, according to my guidebook, this trattoria was one of the best for value. And I have to say I agreed. I always passed it on my way back to my hotel, and every time I did so it was full of both visitors and (more importantly) Italians. The latter is my point-of-judgement; if the locals use it, then it's an ok place.

On my return (to eat) in 2011it was very clear that the fame of Za'Za has spread. It was packed every time I passed and certainly in the early evening. In fact, they've now appointed a 'bouncer' to make sure that people don't take tables which have been reserved.

They've got tables outside under awnings as well as inside. If you don't mind the odd pigeon or sparrow hopping round your feet then I think outside is nicer in warm weather. Five years on, you'll still get the same trio (ish) of accordionists serenading you at some point in the evening!

In 2006 I had the plate of mixed antipasti for starters as a special treat; it was lovely and actually quite enough for the whole meal: a plate of meats (salami, prosciutto etc), a tiny egg-yolk omelette with truffle oil, bruschetta, various cheeses........absolutely gorgeous. It was a struggle to finish the huge plate of carpacchio with salad/dressing/parmesan for my second course.......well, I didn't finish it. I had no room for pudding, and that says it all as I have a very sweet tooth!

In 2011 I'd learned my lesson and shared the plate of mixed antipasti (a slightly smaller version, I noticed, but with still the same variety) with my friend. Then I had the meatballs. And all was just as tasty as five years before.

House wine was fine, as was the coffee. Service was ok too, efficient and with good English spoken. I still think booking a table (or being prepared to queue) would be essential for lunchtime or evening in high season; both times I ate early by local standards, so didn't have a problem.

Bill for one person (with house wine, water and coffee) in 2011 was around 30 euro.

Za'Za may have been 'discovered' by visitors but it is still an excellent and convivial place to eat, offering good food at reasonable prices. I'll eat there again when I go back.

Favorite Dish: Too many to choose from but the mixed antipasti comes very close. Menus in English as well as Italian, which is useful.

Closed on Sundays. Open from 11.30am till late.

• Seniors
    • Singles

Instant Answers: Florence

Comments

Florence Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Florence restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Florence sightseeing.