Gold Shopping, Florence

Know about this? Rate It!

Having a great dinner after shopping!
    by benhriggs
  • Gold Jewelry Shopping with Maren Erickson
    Gold Jewelry Shopping with Maren...
    by labchicago
    Window shopping on the bridge !
    by y2ketan2007
  • meltdown's Profile Photo

Cose Del 900: Simple, beautiful & affordable jewelry!

by meltdown Written Jul 13, 2008

What a charming find! We so enjoyed chatting with the owners of this gem-of-a-shop. One owner is from Florence and the other from Germany and they speak English, as well. Their shop is on such a beautiful street and just 2 minutes from Ponte Vecchio. They have been in this same location since 1981!

What to buy: So many wonderful things! Margarete, one of the owners, specializes in simple, beautiful pieces. She has a wonderfully elegant touch. Plus they are happy to tailor a piece for you while you wait at no extra charge!

What to pay: I was very impressed with how affordable those beautiful items were! It seems that everything is SO expensive these days - This shop was a real treat. I was able to purchase 3 lovely items (2 bracelets and 1 necklace) for under 90 Euro!

• Gay and Lesbian

• Maren Erickson: Personal shopper for custom gold jewelry

by LauraOM Updated Dec 1, 2012

Maren Erickson is a bilingual (English/Italian) personal shopper in Florence. She has an extensive network of local artisans and shop owners she shares with her clients. In just over two hours, she guided my husband and me on a power-shopping excursion that would have taken us days to execute on our own. She has a keen eye for style and quality, and a good sense for what her clients are seeking.

Maren knows great sources for gold jewelry as well as leather, silks, pottery, and lots more. She also provided good advice on local restaurants. After our shopping spree, she joined us for a lovely lunch at a cafe near Piazza Repubblica.

What to buy: Maren took us to a jewelry shop near Piazza Santa Croce to see their Roman coin jewelry. I liked aspects of many of the necklaces we were shown, but I didn't see "the one" that I couldn't live without. Maren saw my dilemma and went and got the shop owner. After a quick chat, the proprietor pulled out a tray of unmounted coins and encouraged me to pick the one I liked. She assured me that they could mount it in the setting I selected and have it all ready by the next day. I was able to pick out the exact combination I wanted! What a treat to be able to participate in the design of my beautiful necklace. It made the purchase even more special. Being a "friend of Maren" definitely helped with the final price of the piece.

What to pay: Prices vary depending on many factors including size, setting, chain, etc.

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

Lots of shops on the bridge: All that Glitters

by ExGuyParis Updated Nov 17, 2002

A multitude of jewelry shops on the Ponte Vecchio. Once, many European bridges were like this, with shops and houses built on the bridge. Most are now gone, but here you can get a sense of what living and shopping over a river is like. The bridge is always bustling, with mobs of tourists taking pictures of the river.

The quality of the jewelry ranges from cheap and tacky to outrageous and gorgeous.

What to buy: Gold, gold, gold...and leather, leather, leather. Be prepared to haggle over the price.

What to pay: from next to nothing to a fortune; it depends on your taste and the contents of your wallet (or your credit limit)

• geeyook's Profile Photo

Ponte Vecchio: Jewelry on the Ponte Vecchio

by geeyook Written Jul 19, 2004

Jewelry Stores on the Ponte Vecchio

Goldsmiths and Silversmiths have lined both sides of the Ponte Vecchio since the 15th century. Today the shops on the Ponte Vecchio are jewelry stores carrying fine gold jewelry and coral jewelry.

What to buy: Gold jewelry, coral jewelry

What to pay: The prices are not considered a bargain.

• Goner's Profile Photo

The Gold Corner: Great Coral Jewelry Here

by Goner Updated Jun 10, 2003

Florence Jewelry Store

It's a small little jewlery store, but they have a great selection and the clerks are very helpful. Tourist pay no tax here.

What to buy: This is where I bought my pink coral and gold earrings...

What to pay: $20 USD on up to....

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• guell's Profile Photo

Ponte Vecchio: You want Gold? They Have Gold!

by guell Updated Feb 9, 2003

Ponte Vecchio

This famous bridge in Florence houses may gold and silver jewelry shops. Whether you're in the mood to shop on just brouse, this is the spot.

For more information on the bridge, see my "Must See."

What to buy: GOLD!! SILVER!! For more information on the various shops, see the web site below.

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Ponte Vecchio: If Jewelry is your thing - Ponte Vecchio

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Feb 9, 2005
    The Pontevecchio and the Brown Arno

The Ponte Vecchio is a bridge loaded with shops. It's a landmark of Florence and there have been shops and homes here for hundreds of years.

The Shops looked to be predominantly Jewelry although there were some gift shops as well. There are also shops on each side. Some that lead up to the Uffuzi on the city side and to the Palace on the other side.

What to buy: Although it looked heavily weighted towards jewelry, I was able to get some other gifts at one of the shops. It's a great place to buy a special piece of jewelry as you'll remember the location as well.

What to pay: You can spend all the money in your wallet and then some. Most places take plastic. It's not inexpensive.

• Luxury Travel

• Ponte Vecchio: All that glitters is not gold!

by flaviom1976 Written Mar 24, 2010

The atmosphere and the design on some of the pieces.

What to buy: I was walking along the shops with my girlfriend and we were looking at the jewelry through the windows. At one shop, we noticed an interesting design on earrings, not typical of what you would find in a typical retail jewelry store. The earrings appeared to be available for 80 Euro. I told my girlfriend that if she wanted them I would buy them for her. We went inside and asked to look at them. The lady who helped us brought out one set in yellow gold and another in pink gold. She told us that the design was particular to Florence and that it was in fact gold plating on top of silver not gold. My girlfriend picked the set she liked and the lady at the shop asked us if we would like to see a matching pendant and 17" chain. We agreed and decided to take the three pieces. We were told that we could get back the 20% VAT deducted from the price at the shop. I was quite pleased with this. The total for the earrings, pendant and chain came out to 210 Euros. The items were then put into a small jewelry box and the box was put into what looked like a small Lindt truffle box.

Some people (including myself) my not like the idea of gold plating over silver. My girlfriend is pleased with the pieces she selected. They are nice pieces that reminds her of our trip. We enjoyed the experience and it was a nice surprise for her. I wouldn't say that you must buy jewelry in Florence as part of your experience. It is nice however, if you can find a specific piece for a price you are willing to pay.

What to pay: Prices for gold-plated silver jewelry seemed to be at a premium.

• Gold Shopping: Fantastic Shopping Help

by Renard60 Written Sep 25, 2012

I have traveled extensively over the last 20 years. I love travel and I love to shop. However, I have been frustrated in many cities to find that it takes FOREVER to find the right shops with the things I love. And usually it happens to be the day we are leaving! Maren at Florenceshop4it has changed all this for me in Florence. I have shopped several times with Maren and she has taken me efficiently and joyfully to the small shops in Florence that it might have taken days for me to find. It's like having an instant best friend to help you find things that look great on you and that stand the test of time as far style. I live in a small Washington State town, Stanwood, and the first outfit I bought 4 years ago with Maren still gets tons of compliments (gray wool pleated dress and cardigan and some handmade gray suede tall boots)
    The last time I shopped with Maren I bought more shoes-of course- but also a really unique gold cuff bracelet.
    Maren seems to have a wonderful easy relationship with many of the store owners which results in discounts for you.
    Well worth her fee in saving of time and frustration. My husband loves that I can get my shopping done quickly and then spend more time with him.

What to buy: High fashion women and men's clothing, leather coats and purses, one of a kind gold jewelry and of course, shoes and boots!

What to pay: This is what is so fantastic about hiring Maren. She knows what is appropriate to pay for high quality goods and also is able to get you deals.

• Gold Shopping: Shopping with Maren Erickson

by benhriggs Written Dec 29, 2012
    Having a great dinner after shopping!

If you are planing a trip to Florence, Italy be sure you include a shopping expedition with personal shopper Maren Erickson! Florence is a shopping mecca but can be overwhelming to a tourist who is unfamiliar with the city. We wanted to save time and money, so we contacted Maren. She asked what we were looking for and chose the perfect shops. Our favorite was a local jewelry designer with an exquisite selection. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted and Maren was very helpful and patient. She is very knowledgeable about quality and design and I am so happy with my purchases.

Maren also took us to a fabulous leather store and a scarf shop. We found just we wanted.

Maren gave us excellent dining suggestions. She and Chia joined us for a lovely dinner at Le Carceri.

Shoping with Maren and Chia made our trip to Florence complete!

• Gold Shopping: Shopping in Florence with Maren

by RituS5 Written May 25, 2013

I found Maren just a couple of days before my trip to florence and was so pleased she was able to fit me on at relatively short notice. It was like having an old friend in a new city. Maren took me shopping the first day I was there and it was to the best places. I picked up some lovely jewelry, leather gifts, and silk scarves. She was on hand to give advise even the next couple of days that I was there! I ended up going back to the shops she had taken me to, as even after looking through and browsing at other stores, the ones Maren took me to had the best stuff in terms of quality , design and price.

• Gold Shopping: Shopping with Maren

by RituS5 Written May 25, 2013

• Florence Shop 4 It: Jewelry Shopping with Maren, plus much, much more!

by labchicago Written Jun 25, 2013
    Gold Jewelry Shopping with Maren Erickson

Having been to Florence before, I knew there were too many options and not enough time to shop for the perfect gold jewelry. I contacted Maren Erickson, US/Seatle expat, to help aid me in my Florence shopping expedition - one of the best things I did in my 8 days in Italy. Maren made an appointment to see one of the most sought after family of jewelery makers in Florence (and that they were a family of handsome Italian men was just a bonus). My girlfriend and I left the tiny shop with some of the most stunning necklaces I have ever seen. After that experience, I don't know how I will ever go back to wearing "ordinary' jewelry ever again! Just spending the time with Maren is worth a trip to Florence. She is wonderful and I couldn't bought these items with out her!

• maritoni's Profile Photo

The jewelry brige store: Ponte Vecchio bridge

by maritoni Written May 21, 2005

along river Arno

the brige: - see behind my photo is the bridge itself... that is river Arno in the background.

What to buy: gold, platinum - made by local jewelers...

What to pay: cash, cc

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo

Ponte Vecchio: All that glitters is Gold !

by y2ketan2007 Written Dec 6, 2007

Window shopping on the bridge !

The shops on Ponte Vecchio sell jewelry.While it is a lot of fun window shopping I don't know how reliable these shops are.

Instant Answers: Florence