Leather, Florence

Know about this? Rate It!

• MichelangeloFloretin's Profile Photo

Michelangelo Florentine Leather: Response to Kybp, written may 22,2015

by MichelangeloFloretin Written Aug 20, 2015

Hi, my name is Michelangelo Lapo.
    I saw your comment on Virtual Tourist and was disappointed that you had a negative experience. I stand behind the quality and pricing of my genuine leather goods. I have been working in the leather industry for over 28 years and take pride in providing genuine Italian leather goods. I invite you to come back and let me improve your experience at Michelangelo Leather.
    Feel free to e-mail me at michelangeloleather@gmail.com , I look forward to hearing from you.
    For the prices I wanted to mention that for the bags you can find prices from 68 up to 250 euro, and for the jackets from 200 up to 480 euro.

• Adventure Travel
    • Business Travel

• Michelangelo: Michelangelo leather in florence

by Picasso9 Written Jul 23, 2015

This shop is an authentic treasure, the real deal of fine Italian leather. You will find a great selection of finely crafted leather goods (jackets, bags, wallets, etc). The leather is buttery soft, lined, and beatifully crafted. You can tell that the owner cares about what he is selling and is very knowledgeable about leather. And above all -- the price is quite reasonable. You leave the store feeling confident that you have purchased something special, of high quality, from a trustworthy merchant. Thank you, Michelangelo, for making our visit to your shop so memorable. You have a magnetic personality and made us feel welcomed and at home. We will treasure this memory of Florence for many years to come. @kypb: try Michelangelo on your next visit to Florence. I think he would welcome the opportunity to share top notch quality and address any questions you may have. He seems extremely focused on ensuring that every client leaves the shop super happy with his or her purchase. He can be reached at michelangeloleather@gmail.com

What to buy: Jackets, bags etc.

What to pay: 200-400

• Coccinella: Leather in Florence

by Kybp Written May 22, 2015

Read all the great reviews about Michelangelo's and Roberta'a. Thought Michelangelo's was WAY overpriced for leather that wasn't even as good as some of the other places I saw. Roberta's was great and bought a nice handbag. Lots of colors and selection. But my highest rating must go to Coccinella. On the way to Roberta's (Via Iacopo rurning right just past the Ponte Vecchio), stumbled upon this small leather shop and admited the jackets. Found a beautiful and high quality leather jacket at a price MUCH better than Michelangelo's, wpre it all the next day (unseasonably cold this May!), and after it stretched out a bit as leather does, passed by to see if they would exchange it for a smaller size. Thought I would be booted out the door (cuz it's no Walmart!), but instead they actually exchanged it no questions asked! I was astonished! I was SO appreciative!

What to buy: Leather jackets

What to pay: $250-$600

• Michelangelo Florentine Leather: Leather Shopping in Florence

by ricecho Written Jan 9, 2015

Before going to Florence, I did some research on buying leather. High reviews on Michelangelo's shop kept coming up again and again on Virtual Tourist. His shop became a priority. When we showed several of our tour guides the address, no one knew the street. I was not about to give up. My son finally located it on google maps. It wasn't on local maps because the street is so small. Finally, we found the shop, but the doors were locked! Couldn't believe this was happening. We were not leaving until we got in! We knew he was probably at lunch, but had no way of knowing when he would return. We went to get gelato (another definite must!), and walked back to the shop. Still locked. After only a few minutes, a delivery guy came to the door with 3 bags of products. He found the locked doors, saw us standing there, and called Michelangelo! We finally got into the shop! The leather smell is so intoxicating you just stand still and breathe it in.😍 Tons of jackets, purses, brief cases, belts, wallets. I finally decided on a gorgeous chestnut color jacket. The leather is so soft you can't stop rubbing it. It's a classic style, very tailored, and fits like a glove. My daughter decided on a beautiful gray leather purse. Michelangelo treated us like family. He offered to design something for us later on, and send it to the states. He even emailed us that afternoon, saying he had a wonderful time meeting us. You never really know what you're buying when you visit another country, especially for the first time, but my jacket purchase was validated by out tour director who lives outside of Rome, when she felt it, looked at the stitching and zippers, and said it was a phenomenal purchase. She even asked for his card so she can recommend his shop to other tourists. An awesome experience!

What to buy: leather products

What to pay: 100-200 euros for purses, 300+ for jackets

• Michelangelo Florentine Leather: Best leather shop in Florence, tuscany

by jorn.sarens Updated Oct 6, 2014

Behind the cash desk of this wonderful local leather shop, you can find Michelangelo, the owner of the store.
    He's one of the most lovable and charming persons I met in my life. The moment you start a conversation with him, you just can't denie his charm. He really makes your day with his eternal smile and politeness. He's one of the few people in Florence who speaks enough English to have a decent conversation with, because he lived in New York for a while. This makes your visit only better. He designs all his products himself and they are handmade by his very skilled local employees. Even if you're not looking for anything specific, it's definitly worthwhile to pay this unique shop a visit. Michelangelo will make sure you'll get the right product for the right price. It is really one of the best leather shops in Tuscany. Unfortunatly his good name is being used by an online-shop. They use Michelangelo's good name and fame to sell more of their products. Michelangelo stands chanceless against these crooks as the police won't help him and he's not capable of taking these hackers down himself. So that's why he relies on his clients, whom he all sees as his friends, to help him out by spreading the word.

But I digress, the point is that Michelangelo's shop is definitly worth visiting. Even if it's just to have a conversation with the man himself. He just really makes your day.

What to buy: What not to buy?

What to pay: Michelangelo will see to it, that you get what you pay for. He's really not in to it for the money, it's his passion and he just enjoys designing and making his clients happy.

• Raffaello Leather ( Samuel Etafa): Leather Coat Rip Off

by RichoIluka Written Jul 10, 2014

Ordered a womens high quality antilope reversible coat in August 2010 ( correct 2010!) and paid 1200 Euro in advance. Measurements were taken from my wife and colour selected and a coat arrived albeit late in October 2010.
    The received item was the wrong colour, wrong size( even too large for my100+ Kg frame) and very poor quality likely ex China. Despite numerous emails and phone calls nearly 4 years later we have never received the coat we ordered and paid for. We also complained to the local authorities who instructed Mr Etafa to replace the coat and he has ignored them.
    All the correspondence and details will be posted on the web soon to highlight how easy it is to get ripped off and lack of respect making us vulnerable tourists and a warning to others.
    My wife and I will never visit Florence again instead buying from reputable merchants elsewhere.

What to buy: Give Florence the miss as there a rogue merchants ( eg Samuel Etafa) and you have no consumer protection from the Italian Government Authorities. Great place for tourist activities but buy you goods elsewhere.

What to pay: We spend 1200 Euro and were ripped off

• Michelangelo leather: quality products at Michelangelo leather

by steph42691 Updated Jun 20, 2014

Michelangelo's products are great quality. Everything made is Italy, including the buckles and zippers which makes the quality better. He guarantees everything! Michelangelo will make you laugh while in the shop, not pushy at all!

While at the shop, Michelangelo informed me about someone using his name to sell more products. It made me upset, so I am posting to warn people against buying "his" products online, they are not his. Unfortunately people use his name online and try to make money off of his quality products. He only sells in Florence, not online. He is not in business with anyone online. I felt terrible when Michelangelo told me about these people using his name online.

On a positive note, stop by his shop you will not be disappointed. You can touch the leather and feel the difference!

What to buy: Jackets, purses, briefcases

What to pay: Depends on the product, really ranges. He gives discounts. I told him what my budget was and he worked with me.

• LeslieW5's Profile Photo

Leather: Maren Erickson, great personal shopper

by LeslieW5 Written Jul 29, 2013

Mother and I went for a personal shopping experience with Maren Erickson and it was fantastic. Would definitely recommend that if you are planning on shopping for goods in Florence you asked Maren for help. She was friendly, very knowledgeable and helped us both to find the perfect leather jackets! Her dog Chia is adorable too, and such a fun addition to our excursion!

• Women's Travel

• Leather: Call all men shopping with their wives in Florence

by harry.koller Written May 31, 2013

Maren Erickson provides an excellent personal shopping service in Florence. She will look after your wife's shopping needs and make your visit to Florence a real pleasure. The time you save with Maren can then be spent seeing the sites rather than spending hours wandering from shop to shop.

• Michelangelo Florentine Leather: GREAT LEATHER SHOP

by stephanie85 Updated May 17, 2013

At michelangelo`s florentine leather store I bought a very special designed bag and soft leather jacket.
    It`s very light, newest fashion design and different from what I saw.

It was very helpful to read the great advices at virtual tourist and I`m very happy that I looked for that special store in the small street Via Giovan Battista Zannoni 9-11-Red. I walked in Via Nazionale until i found the Via Faenza then on the left hand side is Via Giovan Battista Zannoni 9-11-Red.

This is the most wonderful shopping experience i have ever had. Michelangelo has a heart of gold!
    Thank you so much Mr. Michelangelo!

What to buy: newest design women`s bags, travel bags, wallets, soft leather jackets for children, women and men

What to pay: best you talk to seller michelangelo who is the owner

• Women's Travel
    • Museum Visits

• Leather: Shop for leather with Maren & Chia

by shanpeng Written Apr 29, 2013

It was our anniversary trip and we had a great time shopping for leather with Maren & Chia. Maren took us to the right shops so we saved a lot of time from looking around. I bought a pile of beautiful things for my partner that could last for a long time - mostly leather jackets & handmade shoes. He is not exactly a fervent shopper, so he was very pleased with the efficiency of the operation. And Chia the dog is undoubtedly the most delightful and patient guide ever!

What to buy: leather

• Leather: Fantastic Personal Shopper in Florence!

by lsweetnam Written Feb 10, 2013

Finally getting to writing a review for one of our best experiences in Italy!

Maren & her personal assistant Chia (a wonderful little dog) met us in Florence. We were in port for the day on a cruise and although, due to transportation problems, were were running late, Maren made sure we saw everything, and shopped for everything on our list!

If you are shopping for leather goods, beautiful silk scarves or gold, Maren will take you to the exact right spot. She saved us so much time wandering the streets of Florence, trying to figure out what was good or not. The shops she brought us to were top notch, always greeted by the owners who were familiar with them and greeted us warmly. These were authentic Italian shops, not the big box stores that you get on typical tours. Well worth the small investment!

Both my mother and I purchased beautiful leather coat and silk scarves, that are now the envy of many friends:) Thanks so much Maren, truly hope I can make it back again ~ I definitely refer you to anyone heading over to Florence!

What to buy: Leather jackets, boots and shoes are a great find in Florence.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Mercato San Lorenzo: Leather and flea market at Mercato San Lorenzo

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 18, 2012

Besides art and culture, Florence is one of the leading leather manufacturer in whole of Italy. There excist very long tradition of manufacturing leather shoes, bags, belts or garments here in Florence where skillfull craftmen preparing leather to be softer and lighter then on other Italian markets. Vero cuoio di Firenze is their trade-mark.
    Mercato is open every day, sunday including, from 9 to 19 hours.

What to buy: I'd suggest belts or leather jackets, which aren't of lower quality then those at Mercatino del Porcellino but cost less money.

What to pay: Be ready to play the game with the sellers because they know their job very well. Burgain is a must and the final price depend on how much one was persistent and skillfull in targeting the prices.

Mercato San Lorenzo Mercato San Lorenzo

• Michelangelo Florentine Leather: Great Leather Shop

by msmelis80 Written Nov 12, 2012

Michelangelo's shop is a wonderful gem amidst a sea of mediocre quality work and blatant tourist rip-offs. Michelangelo is a wonderful and warm person and proudly shows a range of products. Be sure to leave yourself the time to just talk with him regardless of your purchase interests. His shop is not high-end boutique leather, though he has nicer coats--this is good quality, well made and thought-out everyday leather items with that nice leather class at a good price.

What to buy: Florence is obviously a leather capital, although it's very hard to find leather pressing and engraving work. Michelangelo's shop has a great range of everyday leather products.

What to pay: Michelangelo has a wide range of products, with a corresponding price range. Even someone on a tight budget could find a fair deal for a smaller well-made wallet or hand bag.

• Luxury Travel

• Peruzzi Leather: leather

by kellyjuice Updated Sep 13, 2012

They demostraight what they do to leather and what processors they use and all products are made in Italy. I did Was doing a tour and was taken here they have great leather jackets bags shoes gloves etc

What to buy: great pair of gloves " beautiful " and a medium size carry bag both products excellent quality would recommend Peruzzi Leather.

What to pay: They are not the cheapest but gloves start at as little as 30 Euros the ones I brought were latest style 80 Euros The Bag was 249 Euros but will have this for many years to come

Instant Answers: Florence