Walking, Florence

Santa Croce
  • jldodge710's Profile Photo

Great Walking Tour of the City

by jldodge710 Written Sep 21, 2013

We arranged a full day walking tour in the city for four adults through Tours by Locals. Elena Calissi was energetic, very knowledgable, and gave us a tour that will forever be remembered. We toured the streets and the churches with Elena discussing the history and the culture. She has a diverse background and presented Florence in a way that peaked our interest in coming back for more. We would highly recommend Elena to any and all tourists.

• Seniors

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Walking Amongst the Great

by msbrandysue Written Jun 13, 2008

Santa Croce

My friend Shanna always likes to visit cemetaries on our trips. I would love to see her face when starring at Michaelangelo's tomb. It's probably bigger than my bedroom. It's absolutely amazing!

However, when I visited they were restoring it so I didn't get to see much except the parts peeking out behind the curtains.

However, inside Santa Croce are many more. We saw many (however, I can't quite find those photos!).

Tombs inside Santa Croce include:

Hours: Mon-Sat 9:00am-5:30pm; Sun 1:00pm-5:30pm

• wilocrek's Profile Photo

Walking the streets.

by wilocrek Updated Jan 12, 2008

Like most Italian cities, Florence is a pleasure to walk through. Whats particularly unique about the streets of Florence is that they are long, straight and narrow. The buildings brush right up against the sidewalks on both sides and so even though none of the buildings look higher then 3 to 4 stories, they seem a lot bigger while walking the streets because of how cramped everything is. Even on a bright sunny day in Florence, if your so lucky, the streets seem to always be in the shadows and the Duomo always seems to loom large at the end of every street!

• Ipanema_Princess's Profile Photo

Walking Tours of Florence

by Ipanema_Princess Written Aug 18, 2007

Walking...the best way to discover Florence !

"Walking tours of Florence" is a compagny that as it name says it provides a selection of tours in Florence and Tuscany.
    At the beginning I wanted to do the visits on my own, but I was so desperate by the lines at the museums, that I decided to take a guided tour so that I don't have to wait...

They have a good selection from basic city tour, museums tours, cooking class, evening walk, wine tour, shopping tour, biking tours...
    I went to their office and asked what was available, but most of the tours for the next days were already full. They have a lot of success, and make small groups so I really suggest you book in advance especially in the summer (you can do that on their website).

So I took the only tour available that was "Masterpieces of the Uffizi Gallery". I though that is was expensive (39 euros) however I didn't regret it, because otherwise I would have missed this wonderful museum. Our group was splited in two, so that we could really enjoy the visit better (we were about 15 people with one guide).
    My guide was a young american girl (all are mother tongue english speakers). She was very fun and told us plenty of interesting facts about the "Rinascimento" and funny stories about the painters. I really appreciated her, and it made the visit very pleasant.

I don't know how their other tours are, but if it's the same quality then I would highly recommand it !

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Original and Best Walking Tours

by skywalkerbeth Written Oct 9, 2006

lover locks!

I also have to give rave reviews for my walking tour the next morning. It was on basic Florence history and amazingly well done. It was the Original and Best Walking Tours which you can find it on the web at www.artviva.com. I saw that Michael Palin proclaimed it his favorite walking tour in Florence and since hey, he's my fave Python, not to mention a truly inspiring traveler - so why not check it out. The woman who guided us was getting her doctorate in the Italian Renaissance and she was very thorough as a result. I learned some interesting little factoids on the walk – here are a few (which may be apocryphal but nonetheless entertaining):

“Stinking rich”: the rich used to be buried under the floorboards of churches – the richer you were, the better your “real estate” in a church – with the richest being up near the front. Naturally, dead bodies underneath tended to stink. “Hole in the wall” signifies the little tiny holes built into palace walls with a tiny door on either side. The rich folks inside would leave food and other goodies in their “hole in the wall” for the poor to come by and take for themselves and their families.

We didn't just learn little factoids, she also dissected artwork both on churches and buildings as well as inside them. After the walk I bought three books - two on the Medici (April Blood by Lauro Martinesi, about the Pazzi conspiracy to murder the Medici brothers.. Medici Money by Tim Parks), and the third one was Brunellschi's Dome by Ross King.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Walking and window shopping in Florence

by SLLiew Written Oct 2, 2006

I enjoyed walking the streets of Florence - passing world famous branded Italian high fashion shops. Great way to for window shopping. What surprised me was the entreprenuer of many road side sellers of African descent in front of these shops. What a contrast.

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Walk your buns off - and get a good picture

by skywalkerbeth Written Jul 25, 2006

If you want a good view, you gotta climb! I walked up up up to the Piazzale Michelangelo and snapped away. May is just the best time to go - sunny, not too hot, and maybe a little crowded but not bad. You can also visit San Miniato al Monte, which is a beautiful 11th century church. I could see it from my hotel which was great at sunset!

• chery08's Profile Photo

Walk Walk Walk....

by chery08 Written Jul 23, 2005

You gotta walk alot to uncover the whole city... and it's really nice feeling walking in the streets of Florence...You will bump into some little surprises...man sellings things on the streets... people performing on the streets.. some drawing on the floor..that's so interesting~~... i LOVE it~~~~

• Kiwigirlie's Profile Photo

It's not such a hard walk

by Kiwigirlie Written Feb 2, 2005

If you walk to the hills on the west side of the river there is a park and look out point. Very nice to get up there first thing in the morning or towards the end of the afternoon. It's a lovely place to have a picnic, some cheese & wine and enjoy the views.

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• mariocibelli's Profile Photo

Walk on the WIld Side Part 2

by mariocibelli Written Sep 21, 2004

The Lungarno (Day) like you cant tell!

Part of the charm of Florence is seeing how the city changes during the day. One of the best times for a walkabout, is first thing on Sunday morning like at 7 or 8 AM. THere is practically nobody out and with good sun, you have the place to yourself and can take photos till your viewfinder falls off without having to worry about the tour groups.

• mariocibelli's Profile Photo

Walk on the WIld Side Part 1

by mariocibelli Written Sep 21, 2004

The Lungarno

• Architecture

• Amiga's Profile Photo

Florence is a city for...

by Amiga Written Aug 25, 2002

Florence is a city for walking, shopping and window shopping to your heart's content. Leather, fashions, shoes, lovely handcrafted jewelry made by artisens in their own shops and art galleries. I wanted these sandals badly, but somehow ended up with only the photo.

• JaumeBCN's Profile Photo

The most wonderful walk in...

by JaumeBCN Written Aug 24, 2002

The most wonderful walk in Florence begins at the Piazza del Duomo and ends at the Ponte Vecchio, passing through the Piazza della Signoria, the Florence political and social centre for ages. The Palazzo Vecchio is nowadays the town hall and it stands out the Palazzo dei Cinquecento includings works by Michelangelo or Vasari.

• DanaK's Profile Photo

Absolutelly must take a walk...

by DanaK Written Aug 24, 2002

Absolutelly must take a walk on the bridge!
    Ponte Vecchio - the oldest surviving bridge in the city was built in 1345, the last in a succession of bridges and fords on the site that dated back to Roman times... Today comes as much to admire the vews as to browse among the antique shops and specialized jewellery shops.

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Walking through the streets

by alisonr Written Nov 16, 2005

The old central part of Firenze is so nice to stroll through. Stopping here and there to admire the art, eat a gelato or browse at the old shops. Really nice way to see the city.

Instant Answers: Florence