Pickpockets, Florence

by eksvist
  • rozehill's Profile Photo

Around the Ponte Vecchio area, and train station

by rozehill Updated May 20, 2007

Around the Ponte Vecchio area there were many gypsies hanging around especially in or near crowds of tourists. They pass over a baby or a doll to distract you, and also they use the little children to steal and pick pocket from tourists who are busy looking at other things to notice.

• School Holidays
    • Trains

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Florence is a small city, but...

by Gypsystravels Written Aug 24, 2002

Florence is a small city, but like any city caution is the key. Use common sense and try to avoid any area which is dark or isolated. Be aware of your sorroundings and always have your money in a safe place (money belt, bra?). Pickpocketers are found every where, so being alert is your best bet. Leave expensive jewelry at home and never carry more money then you need. Leave your passport and extra cash and travelers checks at the hotel safe. If you are staying at a hostel, I would recommend that you carry your important belongings in a seperate small bag, pack or shoulder bag. Make sure you have copies of your passport and numbers of travelers checks (if you carry these) in a seperate location for just in case they are lost or stolen. The number to your local consulate is a good idea as well as is the phone number to the local authorities.

• Deborah_Bagg's Profile Photo

Keep you money in a neck type...

by Deborah_Bagg Written Aug 24, 2002

Keep you money in a neck type money belt. There is so much chaos in this city that it would be easy for someone to rob you blind and not notice. If possible, get a good feel for the layout of the city your first day out. It will prevent you from looking like a huge target.

• jlee008's Profile Photo

Pickpockets

by jlee008 Written Nov 19, 2004

No matter where you go, you should always go with a level of alertness for your surroundings. This is no different for Florence. As cultured and artistic as it seems, there are still the dangers of pickpockets. Be even more viligant in areas where there are a lot of tourists (i.e. where you probably will be). There are plenty that hang around the Ponte Vecchio just for the fact that there are so many goldsmiths and people.

• Ibizahippie's Profile Photo

Beware..

by Ibizahippie Written Jul 9, 2005

I heard that there's alot of pickpockets here..so just be alert and keep your belongings close to you. But I guess we'll have to do the same everywhere especially in a tourist crowded area ;)

There were also alot of stories about gypsies. So I was mentally prepared when I went to Florence..But how surprised I was..I don't even see like what I've read stories about them.

I remember seeing a gypsy sitting down at a spot near the Del Duomo. Two policemen approached her and told her not to hang around there. So I thinks the problem with gypsies is very much in control now because the police must have helped alot.

• Ibizahippie's Profile Photo

No problemo..

by Ibizahippie Written Jul 9, 2005

• Trains

• contadina's Profile Photo

Pick Pockets

by contadina Written Jan 3, 2003

I did NOT find this a problem. I did actually see one pick pocket at work, but just avoid keeping valuables in you back pockets. Carry a bag that closes securely and you will be fine...
    Men-let the lady's carry the important stuff! ...which should be a given anyway ;)

• Gotte's Profile Photo

Watch your bag

by Gotte Written Feb 7, 2004

The crowds are bad in the tourist areas, and that's where they get you. We were careful, though - fastening bag kept across the body and facing forwards.
    The gypsies weren;t as prevalent as we'd been led to believe, but I'd still keep an eye out.

• valSmallFry's Profile Photo

Gypsies!

by valSmallFry Updated Nov 13, 2006

Do not give gypsies money! We were approached by several women in shawls that were holding out cups, almost chanting, asking for money. As soon as you give them money, they will hold it up and persistently follow you, asking for more. When my husband naively gave one of them a euro, the only way we shook her was when a woman, speaking in Italian began to walk with us, all the while scalding me to keep my purse close. I think they might work in groups to distract you while another one pick-pockets you.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Ponte Vecchio = danger

by GUYON Updated Sep 7, 2002

Ponte Vecchio is a meeting point for pickpockets. The tourist's attention is drawn by the jewellery shops or by a street attraction. It is easy to steal in the bags and in the pockets.

In Italy, even theft is an art

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

Watch out for pickpockets...

by sandravdp Written Sep 7, 2002

Watch out for pickpockets (especially at the trainstation) and when you take a carridge be ware: a price of 45 dollars is asked for a 20 minute ride!

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

One must be aware of...

by wadekorzan Written Aug 25, 2002

One must be aware of pickpockets all over the world--but in Florence, on the Ponte Vecchio bridge where it tends to be very crowded--do watch your valuables!

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Watch for pickpockets,...

by wadekorzan Written Aug 25, 2002

Watch for pickpockets, especially on the Ponte Vecchio where it tends to be very crowded. It is a pickpocket's paradise.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Beware of pickpockets...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Beware of pickpockets especially around large shopping malls, the streets of Florence and here, in Signoria Square. They usually work in a group and prey on unsuspecting tourists/ foreigners.

Instant Answers: Florence