Forte dei Marmi Travel Guide

Forte dei Marmi Things to Do

The beach

by uglyscot Written Jan 23, 2007

The beaches are very nice, but usually the property of hotels. there is the free beach but unless you are at the edge of the sea, you will have to find somewhere to sit among the debris, plastic bottles, cans and sea weed. At least that was the case in 1978. Hopefully this has changed under the new European regulations; then you will really enjoy the sea AND sand.

• School Holidays
    • Beaches

Forte dei Marmi Hotels

Forte dei Marmi Restaurants

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
    Pizzeria Il Timone 1 more image

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 12, 2011

I was guest in pizzeria "Il Timone" for two evenings, first because it is very close to my hotel, secondly because of very friendly service and thirdly because they make pizza on woods.
    The ambient is pretty nice and very clean, too bad they offering pizza only.

Favorite Dish: I have ordered "calzone", it is pizza shaped like a semicircle, made of dough folded over and filled with ingredients. The typical calzone is stuffed with tomato and mozzarella, including other ingredients usually associated with pizza toppings.
    Pizza was very good although I was a bit surprised by the quality of mozzarella!
    Normal pizza cost 8 euros while the price of calzone is 10 euros. I took Beck's beer and espresso and it have cost me 17 euros.
    At the end I was nicely surprised by Limoncelo on a house.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Pic from restaurant's web site

by PALLINA Written Sep 22, 2011

We know than dining out in Forte dei Marmi can be a nightmare, for your pockets first of all and for the crows and the waiting list. Actually we went there without booking (it was Sat evening) but we got immediately a table inside (of course the summer dehors would be nicer). Service tried to be accurate, but personell was very young and unexpertised. Anyway, everything was "OK" but not "GOOD", especially for the price paid. Wines were also medium-low quality wines at, at least, 22 Euros per bottle.

• Work Abroad
    • Singles

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

by PALLINA Updated Sep 22, 2011

Born as a take away, it has some tables inside but many table outside, covered by a large tent. It is not a traditional pizzeria but an Italian take away for slices of pizza (not thin one) and focaccia. The service do not exist. At every table you will find a menu with paper and pen inside so you can write your own order; the waiter just pass and collect the paper sheet and bring you things. You won't be charged with "coperto" and tips are not requested (as everywhere in Italy: you do not feel obliged to give tips. Waiters have their regular wage). We had really amanzing focaccia and a very nice cheese cake. To be in the centre of Forte dei Marmi, perhaps the most expensive place where to buy and house in Italy, it was really cheap. We were five women and we ate with 12 Euros each.

Favorite Dish: Focaccia prosciutto fichi e formaggio (Parma ham, figues and cheese)

• Work Abroad

Forte dei Marmi Warnings and Dangers

public beach

by uglyscot Updated Jan 27, 2013

As I mentioned in my introduction, the beaches are good but inaccessible to the general public. If we wanted to see the sea and sand, and with 6 small children this was inevitable, we had to resort to finding a 'clean' area on the free beach. The debris and detritus was awful We had to make sure there was no broken glass or syringes in the vicinity that a toddler could find.
    Down by the water was better but in May it was very cold, too cold for me to attempt to swim.
    One consolation , the surrounding views were wonderful.

• Beaches

Forte dei Marmi Off The Beaten Path

by uglyscot Written May 30, 2006

Lerici is a nice little place on the coast. If I'm not mistaken it was here that Percy Bysshe Shelley, the Romantic poet died.
    There is a nice harbour and a castle.

• Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Forte dei Marmi

Comments

Forte dei Marmi Travel Guide
Map of Forte dei Marmi