Fun things to do in Livorno

Canal from Piazza della repubblica
    by maykal
  • Things to Do
    by hivaoa1
    Terrazza Mascagni
    by maykal

Most Viewed Things to Do in Livorno

• craic's Profile Photo

The ambulance arrived ...

by craic Updated Jul 14, 2004

... for the second gent.
    The paramedics patted him a lot too. It seemed to comfort him.
    They loaded him into the back. He was talking voluably, waving his hands about, so I think he'll live.
    I really wanted to take a photo of him being loaded, but it seemed a bit off.
    The young helpers wheeled his vespa away.
    I continued on my way.
    Just a couple of bingles in Livorno.
    No need to take it too seriously.

I think he'll live

The police arrived ...

by craic Updated Jul 14, 2004

... the old gent who had been riding the vespa in the first accident turned up, on his feet, looking sprightly.
    Bit of a palaver. Everyone was quite cool.
    The girls drove the car to the side of the road and the police made chalk marks around the body of the vespa.
    I have no idea who was in the wrong.
    One got the impresion though that it was the old gent on the vespa.
    Maybe his reaction time had slowed down.
    Speedy reactions are the trick to staying alive on Italian roads.

No road rage

Another accident!

by craic Written Jul 14, 2004

Then an old gent on another vespa ran up onto the footpath and crunched himself. No idea why.
    Everyone attending to the first accident turned around, flapped their arms shouting things like - Oh no! Not another one! - and ran across to help.
    He didn't seem to want to stand up. A car stopped and thrust a bottle of water out the window to the helpers and sped off.
    The helpers bathed his wounds with the water and patted him a lot.
    I don't think an accident victim in the Antipodes would have been patted. But he didn't seem to mind being patted.

Oh no!

Accident!

by craic Written Jul 14, 2004

I walk out of the church - and there were these two girls that had crunched the lovely new yellow vespa!
    No sign of the rider.
    But they looked quite insouciant so I reckoned they hadn't killed the rider.
    They were standing in the middle of the road as the traffic roared round them.

Poor little vespa!

Refreshing sea breeze

by craic Written Jul 14, 2004

I noticed a small window, low in the wall in a side chamber near the candles, that was open.
    Outside young lads and their dog were larking about, sunbathing and joshing each other. I couldn't understand what they were saying. But I knew that was what they were doing.
    So I sat in a pew right in the breeze and cooled off.
    Then the priest came in with two older parishioners.
    They gave me sharp, surprised glances.
    I got that look a lot in Livorno.
    So I left.
    I do feel a bit embarrassed in Catholic churches because I don't know how to do that bob and cross yourself thing as I enter and leave.

The view through the window

• craic's Profile Photo

Churches not thick on the ground in Livorno

by craic Written Jul 14, 2004

There are acres of churches in Rome. You are always tripping over them in Genoa. But In Livorno I had a particular reason to look for one, and realised there just weren't that many around.
    My particular reason is I wanted to light a candle for some friends who had found themselves in a spot of bother. Not that I am religious, or anything. But I like to find a church, make an offering, light a candle and sit and think about whatever friends have got into a spot of bother.
    This one was a very plain workaday church. No great art. Shabby around the edges. No candles burning.
    I lit a candle for my friends. I lit one for my family. And then I did something I have never done before. I lit one for myself.

At last - a church!

• isn't Vada beach BEAUTIFUL?

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

Would u ever think this is Toscany, Italy?

well, this is Livorno, the coolest city for young people to live in Italy I guess

there is no other place where people are open-minded , against ***head Berlusconi and friendly, but mostly people in Livorno won't speak behind your back!

• Tirrenia Beach

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

this is another beach where I usually go with my boyfriend's dog
    it's 15 minutes north of Livorno, half beach belongs to Pisa, half to Livorno.
    I don't like the sea here, it's not clear cos of the currents and the nearby industrial port, but it's good for strolls

• Sonnino Castle

hey
    that castle is Sonnino, from which the beach gets the name
    the beach is down the cliff, very isolated, but all the young locals go there by a path

if u happen to be here in Livorno, just ask any young people, they will show u the way!!

• Calafuria Beach

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

This is one of my fave beaches to go when i have just a few hours to spend at the beach
    this is just 5 minutes drive from where I live
    the water is fabulous and clean
    during the summer u will find a lot of people overnighting at the beach and partying their ass off the whole night hahaah

• nightlife

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

even at night, Livorno is very lively, it's full of young people in the streets and in the bars, since it's never too cold, they just hang out at the beach pier (Moletto d'antignano), or in the main square (Piazza Attias)

enjoy!

• very close to the mountain too

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

Livorno is a perfect city to live in Italy.
    It has a very good climate the whole year round, something like Los Angeles, it's on the beach but it's also very close to the mountains (2 hours drive) and very close to important cities like Pisa ( 20minutes by car or train), Florence (50 minutes by car or train), Siena (40 minutes by car), San Gimignano and so on
    Most young people, like me, usually go snowboarding on these mountains, they usually get a lot of snow and there are even snowparks

• FROM MY FRIEND'S APARTMENT

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

on the top of this attic we can have a look on the harbour

we have 2 harbours in Livorno, it's the 2nd most important in Italy after Genoa
    1 harbour, the biggest one, is an industrial one
    and the other is a touristic harbour

• fortress along the canals

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

Hey the red building u see on the right, used to be a fortress in ancient times to defend Livorno by the invasors
    nowadays there is a park inside the fortress and it hosts a music festival with punk-hardcord-rock bands during the whole summer
    it's a great atmoshere inside, nice people, very laid back

there's no place in Livorno for snobs!

• from my office

by randychiara Written Jan 7, 2004

this is what i see from my office in Livorno

it's a nice view over the city canals

these canals in the past used to be a way to get in the inner side of the city, which was originally built all over these water-ways

Livorno Hotels

Latest: Jun 8, 2014
Hotel Universal
Latest: Sep 16, 2013

Instant Answers: Livorno

Comments

Livorno Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Livorno locals.
Map of Livorno