Lucca Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Lucca

• alza's Profile Photo

Ristorante Puccini: Friendly service, good wine-waiter too

by alza Updated Jul 25, 2010

I read about this restaurant in my guidebook and was tempted enough to spend quite some time finding it. It's right in the historic centre and not far from the Basilica S. Frediano, but it wasn't on the map the hostel gave me and I went in circles for a while.

I went for lunch, later than intended since I searched for the place ... but not too late for lunch to be served in Italy. Still, the door was open but I saw no one inside at first glance. Then I heard voices in the back and saw a family of three having their spaghetti. They welcomed me and told me I could sit where I wanted. I decided to be social and sit at the table next to theirs.

The daughter served me and very well. The Puccini, by the way, is a restaurant specialising in fish dishes. I managed to order half portions of a few things I wanted to taste. When I started wondering what wine to get, she called her brother, who turned out to be quite an expert sommelier.

The parents told me about the Garfagnana, a mountain region north of Lucca that I wanted to visit. This family restaurant is pleasant, service is attentive without being overbearing. Everything is very fresh and well-prepared. Considering the quality, I didn't find this place expensive (especially since when I eat this well at lunch, I don't have another restaurant meal for dinner.)

Arias from Puccini operas were floating in the air and I think I hummed Madama Butterfly until lights off at the hostel.

Favorite Dish: I was intent on drinking wines from the area I was visiting all through my trip so here, it was La Pietra del Focolare 2009, Colli di Luni DOC. The grape varietal is Vermentino. Good thing I write things down in my Moleskin notebook!

I ate Carpaccio di pesci freschi con insalata crocante (Fresh fish carpaccio with salad)

and Spaghetti with mussels and shrimps, very tasty! It sounds simple enough but it's not always easy to get every single strand coated with delicious sauce. First the sauce must be excellent, of course. But then, someone has to mix the spaghetti with the sauce in a perfect way. At the Puccini, someone knew how to mix.

The wine was perfectly cooled and went down easily.

gosh what a busy table! The son is into wines and soccer. I only saw the door when I left.

• alza's Profile Photo

Rousseau Il Doganiere: Looks like a restaurant in Montmartre!

by alza Written Jul 20, 2010

Very inviting façade, a place reminiscent of Montmartre or of a small country restaurant in France. The interior is small and the furniture is dark wood, so the French feeling lingers on. I appreciated the quiet and not feeling rushed, the pleasure of eating while lost in thought.

Rousseau specialises in traditional Tuscan and especially Luccan (?) cuisine. They have fantastic tortelli lucchesi (pasta filled with greens and ricotta, and lightly sauteed in butter and sage);

caciucco di bietole e ceci (fish soup with Swiss chard -- which I LOVE! -- and chick peas;

couscous, another favourite of mine. Here it's "vegetariano", good, though I would miss the essence of perfume which lamb shoulder gives the broth;

they also have various pizze, and a good house red.

But mostly, they have excellent "tagliata" which is a good piece of meat (usually beef) cooked on the grill or over coals, just enough to remain pink inside and very juicy. The meat is cut into slices only after being left to "relax" a few moments after cooking. It's delicious simply served over a plate of rugola greens and cherry tomatoes, and an infusion of best olive oil lightly warmed with garlic, rosemary and green pepper.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dishes here were: the primi, Tortelli lucchesi, very delicately perfumed with fresh sage.
    And also the secondi, a Tagliata of beef, perfectly done and beautifully served.

For wine, I think I had a Rosso di Montecarlo (Sangiovese), a hilltown between Lucca and the Valdinievole in Northern Tuscany. But I forgot to write things down that day, I was trying to budget and lost track of time.

For dessert, I had a Bavaroise. That's another favourite so I guess I can say this place was right for me!

Rousseau Il Doganiere

• cmcard2's Profile Photo

Osteria Barella: A must for the traditional fare of Lucca

by cmcard2 Written Mar 21, 2010

Osteria Barella serves the traditional fare of the Lucchese. It is tucked behind the Piazza dell'Anfiteatro. The restaurant that was established in 1860, and sat beneath medieval vaults with combinations of mortar. The posted menu boasted offerings such as stuffed pastas with a meaty ragu, risotto with mushrooms, and hearty soups.

The traditional fare inclueds dishes such as the hearty soup "Farro Lucchese." Farro is a barleylike grain important to the region.

Favorite Dish: Tortelli Lucchese, which are pasta parcels filled with a spicy meat filling topped with a ragu sauce.

Osteria Barella TortelliLucchese Ravioli con Pomodorini

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

unknown: Down the Alley

by DEBBBEDB Updated Sep 10, 2009

We turned down what I would call an alley and found a fabulous place to eat lunch. This is an example of what I have always said - we get our best meals by stopping when we are hungry and looking around to see what's available where we are rather than to try to plan the trip to be at a restaurant at a mealtime.

Favorite Dish: Other than that it was a good lunch, I don't remember anything else about it - not the name or what we had to eat

• Architecture
    • Trains

• tzuki's Profile Photo

La Salette: Spacious restaurant with parking and terrace

by tzuki Written Jun 12, 2009

The restaurant looks small from outside but later we discovered it was enough spacious and it has also the terrace on the side to the square Santa Maria. It is one of the locals for pizze, focacce, calzoni, salads, etc...

We arrived there early for lunch and we were lucky to eat in the terrace beside the weather was not so good. While the food was superb and very tasting as well. The service was fast and keen.

Favorite Dish: We had a salad as starter, a pizza with parma ham and egg and a calzone with spinach.
    Calzone is one of my favorite dishes when pizza arrives and it keeps the ingredients all together and warm enough while eating.
    We had a tiramisú (a traditional Italian desert) which was delicious too.

• tzuki's Profile Photo

Osteria Bastian Contrario: Don´t miss to stop by - A great experience!

by tzuki Written Jun 12, 2009

We stopped by chance and what a great experience I should say!!
    The Osteria is a small place inside but it has also a terrace to chill out in summer. It is very cute place with lot of details everywhere and Massimo, the owner, it is really great person and cook. He suggested us a series of local food and we had a great tasting experience there.

We spent two nights there having dinner there and it was very good because being such a cute place with a few tables inside, it is good to meet other locals sharing the tasting experience along with us, as well as, Massimo joining us too.

I fall in love of this place, it has something magical :)

Favorite Dish: We had an assortment dish of local salami and cheese (mmm delicious!) accompanied with hand-made bread!
    As main dishes, we had a portion of local ravioli with pumpkin creme sauce and another bit with meat sauce and my partner opted for a big grilled steak with potatoes and salad.
    For desert, we had a chocolate cake (one night) and the other I tasted the pear cake (made by Massimo´s mum).

All was served with local wine and sweets... delicious!!!

Entrance osteria Inside the restaurant

Osteria I Santi: not too touristy

by PALLINA Updated Apr 17, 2009

Tuscany's cousine with innovation; this wine bar lies very near Anfiteatro square but somehow is not so touristy, perhaps because of the prices. They seem to be "about average" from the menu but then, when you get the courses and see how small they are, they became expensive. But it deserves it, definitely. The interior is also very charming (but tables are very few), a mix of tradition and modernity together. Wine range is very large.

The only remark I have to make is about the service: the maitre was ok (but not that friendly) while the other boy was really uncapable to understand our needs. I suppose he is used to make another job and he was just an help (but sorry, with these prices service must be excellent as well). I also notice a different in service with people coming from Tuscany; I wonder how unpolite they could be with foreigners!

Favorite Dish: Spaghetti cacio e pepe were marvellous.
    Maltagliati al ragù as well.
    Crostata pere e cioccolato suberb

• Luxury Travel

Piccola Osteria Lucca Drento: a nice stop

by PALLINA Written Apr 16, 2009

I cannot understand the meaning of its name, but this place, nicely located in Piazza San Frediano, it could be a relative cheap option to have a rest or a coffee or a cocktail or something more. They are very friendly and young. Dark bathroom (black tiles and sanitaries) is a bit scary but it doesn't spoil the rest.

Closed on Tue

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Osteria Baralla dal 1860: noisy but...

by PALLINA Written Apr 16, 2009

Strongly raccomended by Slow Food Association and by locals, we did not eat there in favour of the quiter Osteria I santi but we went there to have a coffee and realized we had to go there instead. Very very noisy, very touristy (too near to the Anfiteatro Square) but exactly what you expected by an osteria in Toscana; warmness and politeness and genuine food. I just reccomend you to go there before rush hours (so before 13 and befor 19.30)

Favorite Dish: Typical Tuscany's dishes

• Trains

Buccellato Taddeucci: Our regular haunt for breakfast

by arty_girl Written Oct 25, 2008

We ate our breakfast at Taddeucci in piazza San Michele quite often. It's a fmaily run place which has been around for well over 100 years. Generally we had little pastries which were very yummy- their cake with raisin especially. They also do lunches. The only down side is that you get tortured by pigeons.. though that's the same for most of Lucca! Much to my aggrivation haha, still really lovely food though :) This is th

Favorite Dish: the pastries and of course buccellato which the place is renowned for! In 1881 buccellato was confectioned and is now a renowned Luccan product.

The restaurant sign

Da Felice: Incredible pizza, a hit with the locals too

by arty_girl Written Oct 25, 2008

The pizza in this place is incredible... nicest I had while in Lucca. They do both takeaway and sit in (though sitting in can be slightly cramped as it's incredibly small and very popular. You can have anything from one slice of pizza to a massive one.. depends how hungry you are! We took a few slices to sit in while we waited on our pizza to be ready to take away.

Seriously... don't miss it! Local specialty flatbreads and they have a special drink which they serve. my memory fails me as to what the name is but it's similar to coke, just ask.. they'll probably know what you mean! I'll ask my sister what the name was though :)

Favorite Dish: The pizza for sure, it's sublime.. I'd recommend the margarita, simple but yummy!

Traditional Luccan Restaurant: Da Giulio

by arty_girl Written Oct 23, 2008

This is a restaurant which is very popular with the locals and has a lovely character about it. The walls have lots of interesting pictures including a wall or two dedicated to all the famous actors and film directors who have eaten here over the years. Like many Luccan restaurants it's family run and you feel the warmth and hospitality which is so typical to the locals. The restaurant is deceptively large and while it is possibly slightly more expensive than other luccan restaurants, you're paying for the quality of the food. The service is very friendly, apart from one teenage waiter who seemed slightly stroppy (this was funny more than anything though!)

It's quite hard to find and we actually walked past it when looking for it this evening! When you're at the tourist office at the top of the city (close the the walls) turn right and walk straight ahead. You'll pass the police station and a childrens park, walk a few seconds more and it'll be on the right hand side!

Favorite Dish: The pasta was excellent... also had nice wine!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Ristorante "Antica Locanda dell'Angelo": ZUCCHINI FLOWERS IN SEASON

by travelgourmet Updated Jun 25, 2008

The monastery of St. Michael the Archangel gives it's name to the restaurant, Antica Locanda dell'Angelo, formally known as Osteria dell'Angelo. The restaurant was a draw for the Italians and foreign merchants who came to Lucca to trade for the renowned silk goods. The well known restaurant goes back to the 1400's and the Guinigi family of Lucca fame helped to draw the guests of the restaurant for more than three centuries. The building itself was saved from destruction when the whole block was torn down in the 1930's.

After careful restructuring by the Municipality of Lucca and today's owners, the Cipolla family, it is again welcoming customers fond of it's cuisine with traditional Lucchese dishes with a hint of the Cipolla Sicilian accents. The ambience is wonderful and the court yard for a daytime lunch sets the mood for the afternoon of walking and gazing at Lucca's many treasures.

Favorite Dish: The wine list is extensive and of excellent quality. In season, the Zucchini flowers with fish are sought out and the right amount of delicious olive oil is in the recipe.

THE ANGEL CALLS
    • Religious Travel

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Gabry Cafe: Good food in small places

by Herkbert Written Jun 6, 2008

We found the Gabry Cafe while wandering the streets of Lucca. Really more of a place to stop in and grab something to go, they also had a pleasant little eating area out front. We ordered pizzas, salad and iced teas all for around 16 Euro, and enjoyed every bite.

As this was our first day in Italy, it was also a good chance to try out our Italian on the very nice waitress. She smiled and we got our order so we must have said something correct!

Gabry Cafe

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

Gigi Trattoria: Great Tuscan food

by Herkbert Updated Jun 6, 2008

Trattoria Gigi, located near to San Martino, was a great little place for lunch. The food was delicious, the waitress was fun and the company (mostly local construction workers) was great. We enjoyed lunch sitting out on the terrace on a nice sunny day.

The prices were extremely reasonable and the service was great.

I would definitely recommend Gigi Trattoria to everyone looking for a good meal.

Favorite Dish: The gnocchi was delicious. It was served in a light pomodoro sauce with mussels.

Gigi Trattoria

Instant Answers: Lucca

Comments

Lucca Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lucca restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lucca sightseeing.