Lucca Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Lucca

• Matchello_Lulu's Profile Photo

Bastian Contrario - Truffled Menu With NO Truffles

by Matchello_Lulu Written Nov 9, 2012

We just arrived from Bastian Contrario. We ordered truffled starters and dishes. None of the starters came with truffles. When we asked the argentinian waitress about it she said it was a mistake from the chef. Ok one mistake happens... two.... well thats a bit too much!
    When you pay for an expensive dish like the ones we ordered we expect nothing but what we asked for! Maybe the waitress was ordering cheaper dishes to keep the difference I dont know... but it was too much of a coincidence that made us ask for a cancelation of the rest. They went so shy that didnt want to charge. Of course we paid for what we had.
    THIS PLACE IS A TOURIST TRAP and a ABSOLUTELY NONO!

• Helga67's Profile Photo

by Helga67 Written Mar 8, 2005

Palazzo Pfanner

Although it is nice to visit this palazzo and its gardens, we were a little bit disappointed. We came here to visit the permanent exhibition of the local costumes from the 18th century. But, although still mentioned in several books, the costumes are no longer at the Palazzo. In my opinion, without the costumes, the rooms are quite empty, there wasn't that much to see in the rooms.

Unique Suggestions: Spend some time in the lovely garden

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

• illudiumqh36's Profile Photo

Horse cart in town

by illudiumqh36 Updated Feb 1, 2005

From Spring to Autumn it could happens to see some horse carts bringing tourists on the Walls and around the main squares of the city.
    Well, this is, in my opinion, a big trap... it's not necessary to take a vehicle to have a tour of Lucca: the Walls are only 4 Km long and, for all the beauties they have inside, you should stop and take a picture every 100 mt; moreover the lanes are so narrow that for a tourist could be uncomfortable even a bike.
    Last but not least...I don't know exactly the prices, but I think it is far from cheap to take a horse cart for an hour or more.

Fun Alternatives: If you need to be fast take a bike for Walls and main squares and go on foot for lanes.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

Touristy restaurants and shops near Tower Guinigi

by micas_pt Updated Aug 9, 2004

View from top of Tower Guinigi

Lucca fascinated me, being such a nice and quiet city in Tuscany, unlike some other touristy destinations we had visited the previous days such as San Gimignano and Pisa. It was a pleasure to discover this authentic Tuscan city.

But still, near the main Must See such as the Tower Guinigi and the Duomo di San Martino we found that restaurants and open door cafes may tend to be a tourist trap, as they are expensive and sometimes quality doesn't match price. So, when visiting Lucca try to drink and eat in restaurants and cafes which are not that close to the monuments, as they will take advantage of that (like any other city in the world, I guess).

• sandravdp's Profile Photo

The main traps here are...

by sandravdp Written Sep 7, 2002

The main traps here are missing all the buildings and paying too much at the restaurants at Piazza del Mercato in the heart of the old town. How can you walk by all those pretty things without noticing? I will tell you: the Italians have a thing with building things too close to eachother. So I was at the Guinigi Palace and Tower without even seeing it untill I looked up and saw a tree standing on some tower. And then I still only saw the tree and not the palace.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Do you really need such English Italian T-Shirts?

by Bigs Written Nov 17, 2002

Well, as in every touristy place you can buy souvenirs, some are worth their money and some aren´t....... ;)

Instant Answers: Lucca

Comments

Lucca Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Lucca tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lucca sightseeing.