Montepulciano Restaurants

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Ristorante La Terrazza Del Chiostro: Have a meal in Pienza

by GracesTrips Updated Jun 23, 2011
    Salad with Pecorino Cheese and walnuts

I know this is supposed to be a restaurant tip for Montepulciano but we did not eat in town. Instead, right next door is the town of Pienza. We had dinner there and it was wonderful. I did not set up a Pienza travel page because we really didn't see much of the town. We just wanted to grab a bite to eat. This was an amazing restaurant! We ate outdoors on the terrace and enjoyed sweeping views of the landscape. The restaurant is located in the Hotel Relais il Chiostro di Pienza.

The town of Pienza is mainly known for their Pecorino cheese. So, I made it a point to try some (was in my salad).

• Trattoria Diva e Maceo: Fabulous proper Tuscan food

by henleylenny Updated May 29, 2009

Traditional Tuscan made freshly. The restaurant is certainly not flashy in appearance, but the food was some of the best we experienced in our travels around Tuscany, and fantastic value too.

Favorite Dish: Farro risotto wrapped in raddiccio. A rich risotto made with farro grains and presented as a parcel wrapped in raddiccio leaves. Just wonderful.

• MovingMere's Profile Photo

Pastries and coffees

by MovingMere Written Jan 10, 2008

We walked to the first open cafe to have breakfast the Sunday morning we left Montepulciano. As you can tell from the empty plates in the picture, our pastries were yummy. :)

The view was pretty amazing also...

• MovingMere's Profile Photo

Borgo Buio Restorante: Family atmosphere

by MovingMere Written Jan 10, 2008

The restaurant was right across the street from our hotel, and was one of the most fun dinners we had. There were only three people working there - hosting, serving, and singing! Two servers seemed like siblings and the opera singer could have been their dad. Of course, they may not be related at all, but it was fun to pretend it was a family operation.

The young guy was our waiter and was really upbeat. When he served our wine, he warned us not to pour too much at first so it could breathe. :)

Favorite Dish: I ordered with gnocchi, which was really great (but not my mom's favorite), and the desserts were yummy. Kevin was really happy with his wild boar, but I didn't taste it. Also, the wine was the most expensive we bought in Italy and made the price go up.

In general, you could eat at even nice restaurants for under 10 or 15 euro, but the poor exchange rate right now (at least for us), made it more in dollars.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Ristorante 3 Stelle: Great Food

by Cristian_Uluru Written May 1, 2007

Ristorante 3 Stelle

The Ristorante 3 Stelle is a fantastic restaurant located in Sant'Albino di Montepulciano. Here you can taste the real Sieneses cousine. I can suggest to try the delicious Pecorino di Pienza (Pienza Cheese). Very good are the Picci al Cinghiale (home made Pasta with wild boar). Then I suggest to try the delicious Fiorentina beefsteak cooked on the grill. Great are also the others grill meat. The staff is very friendly! A grat experience!!!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Caffe Poliziano: Historic Cafe with fabulous views

by sue_stone Written Oct 3, 2006

our treat

The place to have a coffee in Montepulciano is the historic Caffe Poliziano, which dates back to 1868. The café is perched on the edge of the hill, offering spectacular views across the valley.

There is a restaurant downstairs with dining on a panoramic balcony. The café, on the main floor, had seating over two levels, plus a tiny terrace with a couple of highly-sought after tables. Inside, the walls are lined with mirrors and pictures, and the palms and lamps add to the salon type atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: After exploring Montepulciano, we popped into Caffe Poliziano for a treat. We some how managed to bag a little table on the terrace, much to my delight.

We ordered espresso's and some gelato. Both were quite good, but not as great as just sitting there enjoying the view.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Trattoria Diva e Maceo: Delicious local cuisine and wine

by sue_stone Written Oct 3, 2006

Goats cheese and balsamic salad

We arrived in Montepulciano just in time for lunch and decided to get that out of the way and explore the town after that. The first restaurant that we came across was actually on my list of places to eat, so we decided to give it a try. It had only just opened and we were first there, but it soon filled up with both locals and tourist and they were turning people away before long.

Trattoria Diva e Maceo is a small cheerful looking restaurant located just inside the main town gate. Service was very friendly and food was excellent local cuisine - in fact we could see two 'mamas' hand-making pasta in the kitchen. They also have a good wine list filled with plenty of local wine to accompany your meal.

Favorite Dish: Alex and I both had the same starter - a Goats Cheese & Balsamic vinegar salad, which was really good.

For main course I opted for the hand made Pici pasta with meat sauce, while Alex had the Tuscan style pheasant, which he declared was the best pheasant he has ever eaten.

Our half bottle of Avignonesi Vino di Nobile Montepulciano was excellent and one of my favourite wines of the trip.

The bill came to 49 euro including cover charge.

I would highly recommend Trattoria Diva e Maceo.

• Il Cantuccio: Regional cuisine

by Fra.da. Written Aug 11, 2006

Menu

This restaurant provides excellent regional cuisine from Tuscany. Prices are little high but food is really excellent. Wine is really good too: try the wine "della casa" (= recommended by the host). I suggest having typical dishes from Tuscany. Location is nice and it may be ideal for romantic dinners!

Favorite Dish: Try the "pici" (home-made Italian pasta). As dessert, cantucci with wine (=typical cookies from Tuscany)

• Helga67's Profile Photo

Caffe Poliziano: Lunch with a view

by Helga67 Updated Nov 21, 2004

Caffe Poliziano

This cafe is in an old historical building dating from 1868 and it is a great place for lunch. It has a very lovely Art Nouveau interior. When you have the chance sit outside on one of the two balconies for the perfect view of the Valdichiana valley.

They serve tradicional tuscany snacks for lunch.

Favorite Dish: Try the pastry, very fresh and delicious.

• ingridf_nl's Profile Photo

Griffon D'Or: Griffon D'Or

by ingridf_nl Written Oct 11, 2004

If you want both wonderful service, a lovely meal, and just to relax, I highly recommend the restaurant that is associated with Café Poliziano. It is just downstairs.

The food is wonderful, and there is one waiter in particular who will give you the most fantastic service you have ever had.

We have been here twice (in two different years) and both times the experience was marvellous.

Favorite Dish: When I asked both of the waiters what their favorite dessert was, it was a lime mousse. This dessert melted in my mouth, and was not at all too heavy after our rather decadent meal.

• ingridf_nl's Profile Photo

Café Poliziano: Beautiful valley views

by ingridf_nl Written Oct 11, 2004

picture from site: http://www.valdichiana.it/expo/

This café is soooo beautiful. If you are lucky enough to sit on the balconies that face the valley, it is a wonderful place in which to either get a coffee and some fantastic pastry, or to get a glass of Vino Nobile.

It is associated with a restaurant downstairs that is also fantastic: Griffon D'Or... which I have created a tip for since it is so marvellous.

Instant Answers: Montepulciano

Comments

Montepulciano Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Montepulciano restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montepulciano sightseeing.

View all Montepulciano hotels