The town was from the Roman era and had a wall as defense, mostly gone now. It was officially founded as a town in 1255 when built over a Lombard fort by Luca Guiscardo Pietrasanta. The town was in a struggle between Geona and Lucca for years in 1300-1400's, and then the Medici's took control in 1484. Malaria caused a decline of citizenery, but in 1841, Duke Leopold Lerona started a rebuild to a more grand state. That also led to the promoting of art and sculpture as a prime asset for the teaching of the art.
The fat looking statue in the Piazza dell Statuto is by Fernando Botero and donated to the town in 1992. It represents the struggle of fighting and is called "Il Guerriero"
Unique in all aspects. -17th century frescoes and casts/models of sculpture-some very bizzare as you see. This is a great museum, with its variety of art. The bozetti/statues/sculptures are the focus, though, and they are some that I have never seen like before. Very interesting to say the least. The museum opened in 1984 after a collection from over 350 artists of various types and talents works were assembled. It was a convent for nuns and the building and courtyard are intact. Entry fee is 3 Euro and is open 10-5 daily except Monday.
It was called the Sketches Museum and the artwork dates back to Michelangelo days. This part of Italy became a center for art of sculptures. Pietra Santa and Versilia became the mecca for sculpting and the Carrara marble being close by allowed ready access to the stone. The sketches are in reduced scale and the model in actual proportion represent the original idea that then is transformed into a completed work of art. They are made in the most varied materials such as chalk, wood, terracotta, paper, etc.
The church called Cathedral of St. Martin was first built in 1223 and expanded in 1330. In 1627 the interior was decorated more elaborate by adding sculptures and altar pieces of elegance. The bell tower of 120 feet used to have a white marble facing, like the church when it was built in early 16th century. The baptistery is from 1786 for the last rebuild, and on the site of an original oratory.
This is a very nice town to be able to walk around and enjoy the sites to see. The Piazza Duomo in front of chiesa-church San Martino is nice. The church tour is enlightening and the adjacent baptistery is fabulous with the colorful frescoes inside, mostly done in the 1500's. The chiesa is form the 14th century and has been renovated in 17th and 19th century. The campanile is 36 meters high. A statue of Leopold Leonora, the one who helped revive the city in 1300's is in the piazza square.
Next to it is a museum of cultural art center that is an absolute delight, Museo Bozetti
It is from the 16th century it is off the from the historic center. They have a string of palaces along a street off the the side of the main square, and ending where the homes are located. Wealth from those heady days allowed merchants to get the splendor of good living.
This is the layout of the town and sites designated to see while strolling. Most of the sites are all along the Piazza del Duomo. However, there are some others upon the entry near the information center on Via Mazzini
This is right next to the Duomo and the bell tower. It is from the 800-900's, even though the facade had rework in the 19th century for the window treatment. Two other structures had been on this site for years before and in 17th century the town purchased one and Moroni pledged the other. These were for use as a Chancellery and town hall. Today the building holds the community history like a library, and a small archaeological section. The era of 1800's feature grand staircase to enter.
This is the fort on top of the hill. Guiscardo Pietrasanta gave the town a revived life by focusing on the valley below to develop. The view from the top is very good to see the town and surrounding landscape and the ocean.
This is the Via Mazzini, the main street that has most of the shops to purchase local items and for tourists. The medium sized town of 25,000 people allows you to casually shop, while not worrying about tourists crowding the areas.
This is of the altar and nave of Duomo - Chiesa di St. Martino and the detail from some site. It was constructed in the 14th century and altar was designed and built by Stagi in 1504
This is the frontal view of the piazza. It connects with Piazza Duomo. The piazza is named after Giosue Carducci born in 1835 in a house in this square.