Pisa Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by colsen4
    Inside This Gelato Palace
    by TooTallFinn24
  • Outside Sign (Note it does not match its name!)
    Outside Sign (Note it does not match its...
    by TooTallFinn24

Most Recent Restaurants in Pisa

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo

il Viale Trattoria Pizzeria: A Nice Meal with Good Service

by Chinggis_n_Borte Written Mar 4, 2014

The restaurant décor was attractive and elegant, and the waitress was polite and friendly.
    We both ordered pasta dishes: a spaghetti alla boscaiola and a spaghetti alla Bolognese. We both finished our meal with a pannacotta each. And coffees. The food was tasty.

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Osteria dei Cavellerie: Tuscan Veal

by hquittner Written Sep 9, 2013
    Tower House with Restaurant

We stayed two nights at the Hotel Victoria and were directed by them. It was a short block from the back door of the hotel. It is in the base floors of an ancient tower. It serves the best grlled meats served with home made pasta and fresh vegetables. It is filled with locals. On ehe second nihjt it was Ladies Day and the place was filled with groups out for partieS. This would be a nice place to go to for lunch for a day tripper, because there is a long closure time around lunch. Be sure to reserve before hand for any mealal.

the noon ho

Favorite Dish: Every thing.

• Seniors

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Il Gelato Qualitia Naturale: Perhaps the Best Gelato in Italy

by TooTallFinn24 Written Jun 3, 2013

Inside This Gelato Palace

It's only 3 pm and a rather rainy cold day but there is growing a line at the Gelato Qualitia Naturale shop. As we stand in the line we notice that no one seems to be concerned about the line even though there are some gelato alternatives nearby. This shop had been recommended to us by the owner of Michele's B & B so we thought we would give it a try.

A friendly young lady takes our order and hands over a cone and a dish to my wife and I. OMG! The Amaretto flavored gelato I got is out of this world. I don't how they managed to do it but it is fantastic! The amaretto flavor comes through so beautifully. My wife equally raves about her lemon gelato. Cost was about 5 euros all together.

It turns out that this shop uses all natural flavors and ingredients. While there is a fairly large selection of gelato choices I believe they stick to a relatively successful few. What ever they are doing they are certainly doing it well! Bravo Gelato Qualitia Naturale!

Favorite Dish: The amaretto and lemon flavored yogurts were out of this world great!

• Sienlu's Profile Photo

Il Turista: Nice Surroundings, Service to be improved

by Sienlu Written Jun 15, 2012
    Feeding the pigeons!

On our 2nd tour day with my parents, we visited Pisa and stopped at "Il Turista" Ristorante for lunch. I'm not sure if the service was being rushed because we were a party of 50 people but as soon as I had the last bite in my mouth, they would take my plate away. The food was good, not great but again maybe it is special menu for groups. The surrounding however were lovely, outside tables with a little tower made of metal. Nice area of grass where my daughter decided to feed the pigeons (oops)!

• Wine Tasting

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

LA BUCA di Valenza Giovanna: PIZZA IN PISA

by travelgourmet Updated Feb 26, 2012

PIZZA PERFECT

Vuole mangiare, mentre a Pisa? Hungry while walking around Pisa? Most people get this desire for food after walking the walk at the Leaning Tower of Pisa. 294 steps up and then down, burns off more calories than you care to, and with all the wonderful aromas of Italian kitchens in full fury of food preparation, a stop at a Trattoria, that is also a Pizzeria, is the place to regain that sudden loss of caloric intake. The restaurant "LA BUCA" has not let me down. With a view of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, I sit indulging in pizza. How appropriate. Pizza in Pisa.

Favorite Dish: The pizza was special. Ten years ago , my wife and I ate pizza at LA BUCA, sitting in the outdoor patio while gazing up in amazement at the Campanile, the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It was a sight to behold and a feeling to remember. The beautiful architecture of the white marble arches rising above the patio umbrellas while ingesting a delicious pizza was a memory not to be forgotten. Many well prepared dishes are available with the gnocchi (potato drop dumplings) melting in your mouth. The waitstaff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Well, we returned to LA BUCA, in September, 05, to relive that special moment my wife and I had ten years ago. The restaurant was closing for the afternoon to prepare for the dinner hours, which was going to be too late for us to enjoy due to travel times. We explained to the staff our reason for being upset at not being able to enjoy the memory of ten years ago. With that, the manager, chef, and server all smiled at us and led us to the table area we sat in all those years ago. A delicious pizza was brought to our table to relive that simple but most memorable moment, having pizza in Pisa.

To all the staff at La Buca, "Molto Grazie". If you choose to visit and enjoy the savory dishes of this wonderful Italian restaurant "La Buca", please give a big Ciao from "travelgourmet" of Virtual Tourist. Trust we can return again one day as the wind continues to whisper, "Ritorno a me".

• Architecture

• BlueBeth's Profile Photo

Hostaria Le Repubbliche Marinare: Hidden gem

by BlueBeth Written Sep 14, 2011

This is definitely somewhere I'd have no hesitation in recommending, and unless you know about it there's little chance that you'd stumble across it. It's not near the tourist trail, somewhere between the river and the station, but nowhere in Pisa is very far from anywhere else so it's easy to get to, when you know where it is.
    We booked a table for 10pm before we set off from the UK, and I'm very glad we did. We arrived a little early and the place was full, so we sat in the reception area and looked through the huge selection of whiskeys they had.
    Once at the table we had a little wait before we could order, but they were very, very busy, and it gave me chance to watch people (a hobby). But the food when it came was incredible. I ordered the smoked sword fish carpaccio to start, and I don't think I will ever taste a better fish dish! It was incredible. My husband ordered the proscuitto and figs and he was very happy with his choice.
    For my main course I ordered sea bream with a potato crust, it looked amazing, grilled sea bream topped with the thinnest shoe string fried potatoes I'd ever seen, perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned.

Favorite Dish: The smoked sword fish carpaccio is possibly the greatest fish dish I have ever tasted, anywhere in the world.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

Al Vecchio Borgo Restaurant: GrEEEEEEEEEEEat Pizza at Vecchio Borgo

by Martin_S. Updated Jul 25, 2011

Vecchio Borgo Restaurant, Pisa, Italy

Owned and run by a family of immigrants. In the photo you see the owners, Dalia,Suruj and Mafiz whom we met and complimented on their excellent pizza.
    If you are visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa, ask where this restaurant is, about a 5 minute walk from the Campo dei Miracoli.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, Pizza, Pizza, the 6 of us ordered 4 different kinds and ALL were excellent.

• PALLINA's Profile Photo

Caffetteria alle Vettovaglie: 5 minuts walk from Campo dei Miracoli

by PALLINA Updated Apr 4, 2011

I wrote "Breakfast" because you cannot choose many things. This modern-styled cafeteria was born as a typical Italian bar (where Italians go and drink a coffè standing, seldom sitting) but now it's much more. At lunch time it offers a small but fine choice of dishes, either pasta or meat, fish and cheese. It deveoped also in a very richy enoteca. The atmoshere is nice, locals are there with the few tourists which have escaped from the 1000 tourists' traps around Campo dei Miracoli.

Opening:
    Mond-Thu: 11:30-1:00
    Fri-Sat.11:30-2:00
    Sun 18:00-21:30 (only appetizer's time: it means you can sip a glass of wine or something else and you can find something goog to eat served in a buffet. everything standing)

Favorite Dish: I do not really remember what I ordered. I just remember both mine and my husband's dish to be very tasty. The price suggested is for 1/2 antipasto, 1 dish, water, wine and coffee.

• Study Abroad

• ldc_stl's Profile Photo

Il Vecchio Dado: Does it get better?

by ldc_stl Updated Apr 4, 2011

This family owned restaurant claims to be one of the oldest in Pisa. According to the owners, Casanova himself dined there. The staff is very friendly and offers great service. Book ahead on the weekends and in summer. It is not uncommon to sit down for dinner at 1130pm. An outside table offers a great view of the Arno River.

Favorite Dish: Stuffed Ravioli

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Il Campano: delicious, but awkward service

by Mahieu Updated Apr 4, 2011

Beautiful and cosy interior! The food is delicious too, especially the "bruschetti" for starters! The service is a bit awkward, the personnel seemed to disagree all the time ( they were probably man and wife :-)) and the bill didn't correspond at all. Well, it was in our advantage, so we didn't say anything.

Favorite Dish: I had tagliatelle with truff mushrooms.

• deebum25's Profile Photo

La Hostaria de Repubbliche Marinare: A wonderful experience with a great staff!

by deebum25 Written Sep 21, 2010

My best friend found this restaurant while we were wandering around Pisa. We had read the excellent reviews on TA but hadn't been able to locate it. Our last night in Pisa I wandered down a street I'd never been down and voila my husband pointed it out to me. We made a reservation for that night and eagerly anticipated the experience. it was the last night they were going to have what my husband called the Pirate Ship (outside deck) open so we ate outside since the weather was beautiful. It definitely lived up to our expectations. Our first course was the Appetizer of "4 Maritime Republics". OMG utterly delicious. Grilled shrimps in a vegetable puree (it was yellow so I couldn't put my finger on what it was but it was delicious), squid sliced thin and rolled up, and a raw white fish "cooked" in acid and dressed with olive oil with very thinly sliced onions that just knocked me out and a little spoon of fish, farro and tomatoes. Sorry not to be more descriptive but just eat it, it was wonderful. Didn't think I could be any happier until our pastas arrived. Second course shrimp with bottarga and pasta with saffron and porcini mushrooms for me. Luckily for us it's mushroom season so we lingered over the pasta which was very well done. Third course I had the bistecca with fagioli beans and it was perfect (they ran out of the spinach but I didn't mind). The bistecca was cooked as it should be, medium rare and perfectly seasoned. The beans tasted of garlic and herbs and although they were the slightest bit mushy they were still very good. My husband had the fried seafood plate which although pedestrian was very well done, the fish and seafood still moist in its golden brown batter and wonderfully fresh tasting. The tomatoes in the simple salad were ripe and sweet. The house red wine actually had some taste to it (we'd had watered down wine at another restaurant) and we finished the meal with a panna cotta with chocolate sauce, also creamy and excellent. In short it was a wonderful end to our trip to Pisa and we were absolutely lucky to have literally stumbled across this wonderful find. We spent 108 euros and it was worth every penny.

Favorite Dish: The antipasti done 4 ways. If you have to ask for a pinch of salt it's all good but eat the white fish with the thinly sliced onions with the salty squid and you should be just fine.

• Singles
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Women's Travel

• deebum25's Profile Photo

Il Turiddo Ristorante: would not recommend at all

by deebum25 Updated Sep 21, 2010

My husband and I went to Il Turiddo based on the very good reviews we saw at TripAdvisor. Sadly I now notice that those reviews are about a year old and oh my how things have changed. We stopped on a rainy Friday night and they had one table available so we figured we were in luck! The server couldn't have been nicer, spoke fluent English, and was prompt in clearing the table and bringing anything we could have needed. Unfortunately she also brought us the worst food we ate in Pisa. We had the antipasto plate which consisted of a bowl of uninspired mussels and a platter of half a dozen different antipasti and meats. The only thing I remember clearly was that one of the antipasti that had a tomato and baby clam spread was so salty as to be inedible. I then had asparagus and shrimp cream with ravioli and the shrimp WERE NOT PEELED. Quite frankly I was obviously shocked. I mean they were supposed to be large and were medium at best but then not even to peel them? The one saving grace was my husband's porcini and cream pasta since it was mushroom season. The steak was overdone, the tomatoes for the salad were not ripe which was there was no excuse for given that there was a beautiful farmer's market not five minutes walking away, and the grilled radicchio was again so salty that you could not eat it. The best thing I could say about this place was the server was extremely nice but to send back two dishes and be disappointed in a third is absolutely inexcusable at those prices. I don't know if there is a new owner, new chef, or what the problem was but I definitely would not recommend.

• Le Repubbliche Marinare: Great Neighborhood Place - eat like a local!

by misstippy999 Written Aug 12, 2010
    in summer, they have outdoor dining!

This is a great family owned restaurant down the street from my friend's apartment in Pisa. I've eaten here numerous times and it is always fantastic, fresh, and the service is wonderful! Last time I was there my friend had "deep fried squid and shrimps" which was lovely, not greasy at all (really light for something fried) and I almost wished I had ordered it instead of pasta - but the pasta was delicious. Beppino, the owner, makes everything, including the pasta and the stunning desserts. If I lived down the street I would be 300 pounds ;)

Favorite Dish: Any of the fresh pasta dishes are amazing; the fried squid and shrimp is light and delicious!

• Osteria il Capodaglio: One to avoid

by GraemeDavis Written Jul 21, 2010

Three problems:
    1) Overcharge. On a "Tuscan" set menu of E25 the overcharge was E4.75 (ie E29.75 per person) the restaurant claiming that part of their clearly displayed set menu (mineral water and coffee) was not in fact included in the set menu. When queried they said this was a mistake but tried instead to charge E2 "tax" on top of the E25.
    2) Abysmal service. A mostly empty restaurant but they somehow couldn't get their act together to serve the few customers they had.
    3) Shockingly poor food quality. Starter of liver pate - poor quality. Soup, okayish. The main course was wild boar in a spicy tomato sauce - turned out to be three or four tiny pieces of gristle in a cheap and nasty sauce. Reminiscent of a cheap canteen.
    Totally unlike the food quality or service of other similarly prices restaurants in Pisa (and elsewhere in Tuscany).

• Architecture

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Dolce Pisa: Nice little cafe in Pisa

by Jefie Written Jul 15, 2010

On the terrace of Dolce Pisa

Dolce Pisa is first and foremost a bakery, and it seems like the kind of place where students stop to get a coffee and a pastry, and chat for a while in between courses. I think we might have been the only ones actually there for lunch (and the only tourists as well), but when we saw the nice terrace and very reasonable prices on the menu, we decided to give it a try. Our waitress was really nice - she didn't speak English but she patiently waited as I did my best to order in Italian. I ended up getting the lasagna al ragu and it was quite good. Sylvain decided to give the chicken and potatoes a try but that was just OK. The atmosphere on Via Santa Maria made up for anything our meal might have been lacking, though - being so close to the university and the city's most popular attractions, Dolce Pisa's sidewalk terrace is definitely a good place for those who enjoy people watching!

Instant Answers: Pisa

Comments

Pisa Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Pisa restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pisa sightseeing.