Walking around, Pisa

Know about this? Rate It!

Approavhing the River Arno
  • filipdebont's Profile Photo

By Bus or on foot?

by filipdebont Written Oct 2, 2004

Square in front of Pisa Centrale

With my luggage in the left luggage department I was totally ready to visit Pisa.

At the square just in front of Pisa Centrale (station of Pisa), there is the bus station. From here you can take a bus towards the Piazza dei Miracoli, the touristy spot in Pisa.

But I decided to do it on foot. Anyway I had a whole to spend in Pisa, and also it is the best way to see and feel a city. (And it was not so far at all)

• Architecture

• globetrott's Profile Photo

take a walk through town

by globetrott Updated Jun 10, 2004

Walking around Pisa is very easy and everything important & interesting for the tourists is within a rather small area.

A bike or a motorscooter is another good way to explore the city, but you certainly have to be used to the "Italian way of driving" , that differs a lot from the rest of Europe, and is not ment for people without extra-strong- nerves...
    :-)

On my pic : Fiat 500 and in the background : S.Maria della Spina

• Adventure Travel
    • Trains

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Walking the streets

by darkjedi Updated Jan 12, 2008

Between the Station and the Tower

You have probably only come to Pisa to see its tower, why not enjoy a short walk throught town to get there. In the time it takes to find and wait for the bus you could be half way there and taken in much of this town's atmosphere. Make good time and its half an hour to the Square of Miracles from the Railway station and once you cross the river you will be half way. Pisa is a very flat city so you won't be struggling with any hills or steps, the highest you'll be climbing is on the gentle slopes over the river bridges. On our more of less random way there we discovered a couple of small churches that contained some of the most amazing artistic detailed ceilings and much more accessible than those in the Cathedral.

• SJTravel's Profile Photo

Take a walk instead of the bus

by SJTravel Written Jun 9, 2007

If you arrive in Pisa by train, you will have a couple options on how to get to the Leaning Tower (la Torre) and the Field of Miracles. I recommend taking the 20 minute walk through Pisa. If you are like me, and a lot of other people, Pisa is just a short stop to see the Tower before getting back on the train for another destination. So why not see a bit more of Pisa in your short time there. Many people opt to take the bus, after all, the bus tickets are inexpensive and the bus is convenient (stops at the train station and right outside the Field of Miracles). However the walk to the Tower is a short walk and it gives you a little bit of the Pisa feel. My advice is that once you get out of the train station, follow the signs for the Tourist Information Center. Once there, ask the people at the TI for a map and the directions to walk to la Torre. There are several scenic ways to go, but they will show you the most direct way. I was eager to get to the Torre, so I took the most direct way and was so glad that I did. On my way, I passed by this street with several different shops on it. I did a bit of window shopping and actual shopping (my sunglasses broke that morning so I scored with a cute pair of sunglasses for 3.50 Euros. Cheap and very cute/wearable). When the Torre first came into view, it was so surreal to be seeing it. I don't think I would have been able to have the same feelings if I had taken the bus because the buses are crowded and you never know what you will be able to see (if anything) from the windows. For that feeling alone, I recommend walking. However, it was a nice walk and I am glad I did it because I got to see more of Pisa in the short time I was there. And for those who don't want to walk both ways, you can by a bus ticket for the ride back. I did that, although I wish I would have just walked both ways. For one, the bus didn't come when it said it was supposed to, it was very crowded, and for as long as I waited, I could have been to the train station already.

• neilward's Profile Photo

Always on the phone !!!

by neilward Written Jan 20, 2005

YAK TALK YAK TALK !!!

This is my famous VT guide to Pisa and Firenze,the legendary....AZHUT.She was 4 inches taller at the start of the day,but as we walked,and walked,and walked,she shrunk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All this walking and talking at the same time....

• vickss's Profile Photo

Leisure Walks

by vickss Written Feb 23, 2009

Pisa is a very small town rather than a city and is an easy walk through for those who are up to it. The main tourist attraction Piazza del Duomo or the Cathedral Square where the Leaning Tower is situated is just about 20 minutes of easy walk from the Pisa Centrale rain station. Just get a town map from the station and walk through the narrow streets and gelaterias

• JDawgg's Profile Photo

Walking in Pisa

by JDawgg Written Jun 22, 2004

When in Pisa, I suggest you walk. You can buy a bus ticket for a little less than a Euro. But when you walk, you get to see more of the city, the little shops that are on the streets, plus you will get some exercise.

• jubistuta79's Profile Photo

Train and walk

by jubistuta79 Updated Jan 3, 2008
    Leaning from Via Roma

There are two train station in Pisa. If you travel from other main city, you can check your travel initerary mentioned about Pisa Centrale. This is meaning that you arrived in Main Train station in Pisa. This station located at south of Piazza Dei Miracoli. The best way to this piazza is only by walk. Tou can see the city and other street things. Walk from train station to Piazza Vittoria. Before that, you can found Information centre just outside from train station. After you out from information centre, take a left side to reach Piazza S Antonio and go to Via Franscesco Crispi. here you just straight until you arrived at River and you can found Santa Maria Della Spina on your left. Go up straight and you see University of Pisa and from here, you can see Leaning tower and Duomo.

• neilward's Profile Photo

Very Grand??!!

by neilward Written Jan 20, 2005

CLIP CLOP CLIP CLOP

Just wandering round you can see lots of sights,these were also enjoying what Pisa has to offer,without the knowledgeable AZHUT,I doubt they got to learn as much as me !!!!

Instant Answers: Pisa

Comments

Other Transportation in Pisa