Know about this? Rate It!
THE SWORD OF SAN GALGANO-THE REAL EXCALIBUR!
Really exists only one sword in the stone, all over the world.
It's S.Galgano's sword.
We find it in Tuscany, between Monticiano (Siena) and Chiusdino, near the wonderful ruins of an impressive Abbey without roof with a meadow of green grass as floor and one sword in the stone.
A lot of Britan carried in Tuscany.The sword also seems to be Arthurian.
Galgano Guidotti was a knight born to rich parents in 1148. He wants to renounce the material world and also the arts of war. As sign to renounce violence, Galgano thrust the sword in the stone, adoring it as the Cross.
Later on he does some miracles and die in 1181. Was declared Saint in 1185.
Today S.Galgano Abbey, is one of the most important and beautiful Gothic buildings in Italy.....
The sword is actually contemporary to the spreading in Italy of King Arthur's legends; however it represent the opposite gesture: while King's Arthur sword was pulled out by the young future king, this one was pushed into the stone by a St Galgano.
St Galgano's sword and King's Arthur legends are not totally unrelated, however... there are links that should be explored.
- Adventure Travel
In this ancient abbey you can see the building technique of our medieval builder, and ,naturally, enjoy the children
- Family Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
Siena Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Colorado Off The Beaten Path
- Georgia Off The Beaten Path
- Boston Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Portland Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Rome
- Mackinac Island Off The Beaten Path