wine and cellars, Siena

• Sylvain & I at the Enoteca Italiana's wine bar
    Sylvain & I at the Enoteca Italiana's...
    In the cellars of the Enoteca Italiana
    Enoteca Italiana at the Fortezza Medicea
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Enoteca Italiana

by Jefie Written Aug 4, 2010

Sylvain & I at the Enoteca Italiana's wine bar

The Enoteca Italiana is located within the walls of the 16th century Fortezza Medicea, and the primary objective of this government-owned institution is to promote Italian wines. Over 1,500 bottles of wine are on display in the cellars, and every day different wines can be sampled in the tasting room. Full-blown tastings can be organized for groups, but you can also taste wines by the glass at the wine bar. Our bilingual sommelier was extremely knowledgeable about wines - and super friendly! - and she helped us discover some new wines we really liked, all the while providing us with historical and more recent information about the Italian wine industry – it was fascinating! I left with my little notebook full of information about my favorite Italian wine regions, wineries and grapes. Talk about a fun way to learn :o)

• pierrestemilion's Profile Photo

Tuscan Wine School: great time!!!

by pierrestemilion Written Mar 8, 2010

how to learn about Tuscan Wines in a funny and simply atmosphear
    Hi ! I'm a french winemaker from St Emilion. Just some words to advise to visit the Tuscan Wine School in Siena. There whatever your knowledges in wine, you could have a nice time of learning and tasting !!! During 2 hours, I learnt a lot of informations about Italian and tuscan wines, which will be very profitable for my studies in Master of Wine in London. Thanks a lot to Rebecca, the Master of Tuscan Wines... and cheeses !!! http://www.tuscanwineschool.com/

Have fun in tasting !!!!!!!

Pierre, winemaker in ST Emilion (France)

• pierrestemilion's Profile Photo

how to learn about Tuscan Wines in Siena

by pierrestemilion Written Mar 7, 2010

Hi ! I'm a french winemaker from St Emilion.
    Just some words to advise you to visit the Tuscan Wine School in Siena. There whatever your knowledges in wine, you could have a nice time of learning and tasting !!! During 2 hours, I learnt a lot of informations about Italian and tuscan wines, which will be very profitable for my studies in Master of Wine in London.
    Thanks a lot to Rebecca, the Master of Tuscan Wines... and cheeses !!!

Have fun in tasting !!!!!!!

Pierre

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Chianti Country

by syllybabe Written Feb 25, 2003

Tuscany's countryside is dotted with countless vineyards. We had beautiful weather in May and everything was so green. This pic was taken from the hot air balloon as we were floating over the outskirts of Siena.

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Dievole's Best Wines

by syllybabe Written Feb 25, 2003

Dievole's Brochure

We were a small group of 4 with a special tour guide who took us to Dievole, one of the bigger wineries in Chianti. We paid $150 each for a 5-hour tour that included the winetasting tour in Dievole, lunch, then Monteriggioni, Castellina in Chianti, and Ama.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Enoteca Italiana

by acemj Written Feb 25, 2003

If you are a wine lover like me, this is a must while in Siena. Enoteca Italiana is housed in the Medici Palace, Fortezza Medicea. They will let you know that it is not a wine museum, but a collection, also known as the National Wine Library.
    They have over 1000 labels of Italian wines!
    Services include a wine shop, expert sommeliers who can provide you with quite an education, a wine bar, tours of the cellars, plenty of wine-related literature for sale and an excellent education on the historical wine tradition of Italy.

Instant Answers: Siena