Gubbio Restaurants

My tagliata
    by toonsarah

Most Recent Restaurants in Gubbio

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Bar Dragoni: Great coffee and ice cream!

by toonsarah Updated Sep 21, 2014

This small bar on the north side of the Piazza Quaranta Martiri Is a friendly place for a light lunch, drink or simply a coffee. I have now been here on several occasions and always been pleased with what I was served. In 2013 I had lunch here with Ingrid - a tasty crescia with orange juice and a great gelato to follow. The coffee is among the best in town (which is saying something for any town in Italy, where coffee is consistently good) and they also serve a good hot chocolate if you fancy a change. There are lots of flavours on offer and I really enjoyed the dark chocolate with salt and almonds that I sampled.

There is a pleasant decked area outside where you can watch the activity on the piazza while enjoying your drinks etc. With the lovely weather we enjoyed during our September 2014 visit we came here several times - for coffee on Sunday morning (when I spotted the cute cat in photos two and three, who seems to be resident here) and for pre-dinner drinks with Ingrid on our last evening when her visit thankfully overlapped with our own.

~~ next tip: a cool bar for night-time drinking

I Giardini Pensili: A lunch with a view

by toonsarah Updated Sep 21, 2014

On the day after the Palio we finally had time to explore Gubbio properly. Ingrid made an excellent guide and Marit and I had a wonderful time and learnt such a lot about the city. But sightseeing is tiring and we were glad to visit Ingrid’s favourite café with her for a leisurely light lunch. The café is situated in a pretty garden near the cathedral, the Giardini Pensili or Hanging Gardens, on the terrace of the Palazzo Ducale. It is really only a kiosk with a few tables arranged nearby, but with a view like this you wouldn’t want to be indoors! Most of Gubbio lies beneath you, and the little that doesn’t is perched on the hillside nearby. It’s a lovely place to pause and recharge the batteries over a coffee or light meal.

Favorite Dish: While Ingrid and Marit chose the typical Gubbio snack of crescia, which looked lovely (and which they certainly enjoyed), I went for the salad, Insalata Rustica, which was pictured, helpfully, on the menu. When it arrived it looked so good that the others promptly ordered one each as well! It consisted of assorted salad leaves, tomatoes, olives and mozzarella and was fresh and tasty. With it I had several slices of good crusty bread. It cost just €6.50 – and the wonderful view was free!

I returned with Chris during our September 2014 visit and enjoyed coffees and fruit juice here in the sun. Photos four and five were taken on this second visit.

~~ next restaurant tip

Marit on the terrace Insalata rustica View looking up from the cafe View from the terrace Chris on the terrace

Locanda del Duca: Open on a Monday

by toonsarah Updated Sep 21, 2014

We had a few ideas about where we might eat (Ingrid, Chris and myself) on what was to be the last evening in Gubbio for me and Chris, but it was a Monday and both the old favourite and possible new spot that we’d pinpointed were closed. So Ingrid, who had now joined us in Gubbio, suggested this place, close to our accommodation in the Via Piccardi, where she had been once but some time ago. It proved to be a pretty good choice though was perhaps not quite as good as some other restaurants I’ve tried in Gubbio.

The restaurant occupies an old mill, now completely renovated but retaining a somewhat higgledy-piggledy arrangement. We were seated in what looked at first to be an outside area (and is described on their website as a terrace) but which was on a mild September evening in fact completely screened by plastic – not as unattractive as it sounds! The decor reflected the age of the building and we rather liked the table cloths decorated with the ancient letters of the Iguvine Tablets (see my Palazzo dei Consoli tip for more about these).

Favorite Dish: We chose one of two antipasto platters to share, the Antipasto Italiano. This was a very good selection of salami, prosciutto, sausage roll, tomato bruschette, onion, rocket etc., and was a reasonable size for the three of us.

My main dish was tagliata with rosemary and Himalayan salt. This was well-flavoured and cooked pink to my taste, but I would have welcomed a sharper knife as the effort of cutting it took away something of the pleasure of the dish. Chris's quattro formaggi pizza was pronounced good, but not the best in Gubbio, and likewise Ingrid's tagliata in balsamic vinegar.

The service was friendly but not especially speedy (not that we were in a hurry however). The bill for my share and Chris’s was reasonable - less than €30 including my half of the carafe of house red I shared with Ingrid, and Chris’s beer.

~~ next: restaurant tip

My tagliata

Ristorante di Porta Tessenaca: Historic and elegant location

by toonsarah Updated Sep 21, 2014

We visited this restaurant twice, having been so impressed on our first visit without Ingrid (she was at the post Palio celebration dinner) that Marit and I proposed returning with her the next evening. Unfortunately on that second visit I was somewhat less impressed, although I’m not sure if that was just due to the different menu choices I made.

It is certainly by far the most upmarket of the restaurants we went to, although the entrance we used on the first evening, on Via Baldassini, is unprepossessing enough. You seem to be entering a small local bar / café and we were surprised when the waitress gestured us through to spiral staircase leading downwards. We weren’t convinced that we wanted to eat in a basement, but when we saw what awaited us there we were amazed. A large elegant restaurant occupies one of the most historic and I suspect beautiful buildings in Gubbio, with a wonderful vaulted brick ceiling. Our waitress confirmed that it was indeed ancient, dating from 1450, and the restaurant’s website claims it as “the oldest house in Gubbio”, the cellars “the royal palace of duke Guidubaldo da Montefeltro”.

We were shown to a table to one side of the room. Only one other table appeared to be occupied, and we assumed the restaurant would fill up later, but it remained very quiet, and was equally so the next evening too. I would have preferred to have a few more people around, to be honest – the lovely space seemed to need people to bring it properly to life. But the service from our friendly waitress was excellent, although her wine waiter colleague was maybe a little grand and formal.

On taking our seats we saw what looked like an attractive arrangements of white twigs in a glass in the centre of the table (see photo three). Imagine our surprise when the waitress told us that these were grissini! So we tucked into these, and some other very good breads that were brought to the table, while perusing the menu.

On both evenings our meal started with a complementary “amuse bouche” of carrot cream with a small piece of focaccia. I’m not a big fan of carrots but I liked the unusual topping (we asked what it was – parmesan crisps) and focaccia. On the first evening I chose a salad to start with – pear, pecorino cheese, honey and nuts. It was delicious! I followed this with a pumpkin-filled ravioli served with broccoli, taleggio and almonds. This was also very good, with the broccoli served nice and crisp, as I like it. I had a slight headache (the result of being in the sun all day at the Palio I think) so only drank sparkling water on that evening, and was impressed with the bill of just €26.50 (plus tip).

As I have said, we returned the next evening. Rita had by now left Gubbio, but Marit and I were keen to introduce Ingrid to our discovery, having been surprised that we had found a restaurant new to her in this town! We had the same friendly if slightly formal service, the same interesting grissini and even the same table. The meal was again good, but maybe not quite as good, and I was a little disappointed that the place didn’t quite live up to the enthusiastic report we had given Ingrid. Nevertheless I enjoyed my starter of stuffed courgette flowers, though my main course, pork fillet “stewed with chicken liver, pickles sauce and lemon” was a bit disappointing, with little hint of the promised lemon or pickles that I could taste. We decided to have dessert and I went for the “pineapple surprise” which turned out to be a half pineapple scooped out, refilled with the chopped fruit and topped with soft meringue, a bit like a lemon meringue pie. It was nice, but too big for one person. I did however really enjoy a glass of Montefalco that accompanied my main course. Having had meat rather than pasta, a dessert and the glass of wine, my bill was rather larger than the previous evening at €44.

Despite my slight reservations about the pork dish, this restaurant is definitely worth visiting at least once when in Gubbio, if only to see the beautiful cellar room, and would be a good choice for a special occasion.

Favorite Dish: Hard to choose a favourite, but probably the two starters, and that lovely glass of wine!

~~ next restaurant tip

Pumpkin ravioli Courgette flowers Grissini ;-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Taverna del Lupo: Truffles galore!

by toonsarah Written Sep 21, 2014

I have already called one tip on this page “Truffles galore”, but I make no apology for repeating myself here, as that really is the only fitting title for the meal we had recently at the Taverna del Lupo, one of Gubbio’s best-loved restaurants. I was in town with Chris to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we’d settled on this as a suitably special place to eat. We were not disappointed, apart from at our own inability to manage to eat everything that was set before us!

We had booked a table earlier that day and returned to find the restaurant surprisingly quiet, but it soon filled up. We had a friendly welcome from both waiter and wine waiter, and were soon perusing the long menu. It seemed simplest to opt for one of their tasting menus and we both settled on the mid-priced one, their special truffle-tasting menu, so as to enjoy the local specialty to the full. That may in the end have been a mistake, as although I love truffles I did find myself craving some variety by the time I got to the fourth course – but at least the desserts weren’t truffle flavoured!

Favorite Dish:
    The full menu was:
    ~ Capon breast with truffle and cherry sauce (a lovely light salad)
    ~ Soft egg with Gubbio’s truffle (a souffle-like creation with the egg yolk nestled inside – Chris’s favourite dish of the meal)
    ~ Tagliatelle with Gubbio’s truffle (served in a parmesan crust, and my favourite dish)
    ~ Filet medallion with seasonal Gubbio’s truffle (this was the point at which I started flagging!)
    ~ Season vegetables flan (the accompaniment to the above, and very nice)
    ~ Caramel millefeuille pastry (very light and fresh-tasting)
    ~ traditional biscuits (we’d given up by this point so they went untouched!0

We drank an excellent bottle of red wine from nearby Montefalco, chosen from several on the very long list and receiving a nod of approval from the wine waiter! Our total bill, which also included the typical Italian cover charge (good bread by the way) and a bottle of sparkling water, was €120 – not cheap but we felt a reasonable price for the quality (and quantity) of the food and the very good service.

Judging by our fellow diners this is a popular place with locals as well as visitors, and there would be no need to spend that much if you wanted a more modest meal. I’d happily come here again.

~~ next tip: another new restaurant find

Capon breast with truffle and cherry sauce Soft egg with Gubbio���s truffle Caramel millefeuille pastry

Ristorante Pizzeria il Bargello: Full of character and good food

by toonsarah Updated Sep 21, 2014

This was I think one of the nicest restaurants we visited in Gubbio, and one of the best meals – although to be honest, I didn’t have a single disappointing meal in the town! We came here on the Saturday evening before the Palio and the place was unusually busy for a restaurant in Italy fairly early in the evening – I don’t know if that was linked to the excitement building about the following day or if this is particularly popular place. If it isn’t though, it should be!

It is located in a characterful old building on the Piazza del Bargello – a former palazzo I think. The fairly narrow entrance opens further in to a somewhat cavernous room which made for quite high noise levels on this busy evening – this might not be the best option for a romantic date. But for good food in a great location, for a group of friends as we were, it’s more than fine.

The menu is long and full of tempting dishes – we spent ages deciding! In the end I opted for a salad to start, with radicchio, rocket, cheese, walnuts and a delicious dressing. My main course choice was a steak with a yummy sauce of truffles and cheese (filetto caciotta e tartufo – typically Umbrian). The steak was cooked to my liking, a little red, and the juices oozed out into the sauce. Less good was the side of grilled vegetables that Marit and I had ordered to share – I found them a little greasy and lacking in flavour. But otherwise everything was great, and the others enjoyed their dishes too – the standouts being Rita’s fondue starter (so large we all had a dip or two) and Ingrid’s main course tagliata (another local favourite). A sharp lemon sorbet finished the meal well – a great contrast to the richness of my main dish.

Rita and I shared a small carafe of sparkling wine with our starters, and another of red with the mains. And when the others had coffee after the meal, I indulged myself with a glass of grappa. Now I had really arrived in Italy!

The bill for all the above was around €45, although as we split it between us my share may not have been precisely accurate. It was certainly good value for such a lovely evening.

Favorite Dish: UPDATE 2013:
    This was one of my favourite restaurants on my first visit to Gubbio and so it proved again on this occasion. Indeed, I had one of the best meals of this trip here. The food is not over fancy but is nicely presented, and local ingredients are featured. My gnocchi con tartufo (truffles) was a fantastic dish, washed down with a glass of good red wine, and the dessert of sorbet with chopped strawberries the perfect light, sharp foil for the richness of the previous course. Ingrid is friends with the owner Paolo, and he gave us a substantial discount, so I don't know what the exact bill would have been, but prices here are reasonable - for instance I noticed a three course tourist menu for €19 and a fancier one at €25.

In 2014 I came twice more with Chris and continue to be impressed by the choice and quality of the food here. The tagliata is very good and anything with truffles is also likely to be a good choice.

Lovely salad My steak Ingrid's tagliata Gnocchi con tartufo

Alla Balestra: Great value for pizza

by toonsarah Updated Sep 21, 2014

We ate in this friendly and very well-located restaurant on my first evening in Gubbio, and it was a good choice for my first “real” Italian meal for a while, although unfortunately we had to rush our meal a little as we were headed to the Concerto del Palio. Ingrid knows the owner, Mario, so we had a warm welcome and he agreed to make sure we were served quickly so as to get to the concert on time – which he did, and we were!

The restaurant is deceptively big, despite a narrow street frontage. It widens as you go in, and we were seated in a light room with a big window letting in the early evening light. The sight of the traditional pizza oven greeted us, and ensured that I would follow Ingrid’s recommendation and choose a pizza.

There were several tempting pizzas on the menu. I opted for the “Pizza Delicata”, with gorgonzola (one of my favourite cheeses!), pear and walnuts. It was as good as it sounded! To go with our pizzas (I don’t remember which Ingrid ordered, but it also looked good) we had water, and a half bottle of the wonderful red Montefalco wine we had enjoyed in Bevagna a few years ago. The bill for the two meals was a very reasonable €26, and this was reduced by 10% as all those staying at the Residenza di Via Piccardi get a discount here (make sure you tell Mario when you arrive).

Favorite Dish: UPDATE 2013:
    We returned here on my second visit to Gubbio. This time we sat in a cosy inner room, and I sampled something other than pizza, excellent though that had been. My soup of pasta pieces and chickpeas flavoured with rosemary was delicious, and rather filling. My meat course, veal in a lemon sauce, was OK, but I had forgotten the Italian habit of serving meat with no other accompaniment and regretted not ordering some vegetables or small salad to accompany it. However a bowl of fresh strawberries served unadorned (I could have had sugar, cream or ice cream had I wanted) gave me the shot of freshness I craved.

The bill for three courses and my share of our half litre carafe of house red and some water, was €22.50. As we left, the owner, who knows Ingrid well, offered us a digestif at the bar which we accepted. So we finished this pleasant meal standing there to chat with him - me with my excellent grappa and Ingrid with a chilled limoncello. This second visit reinforced my impression that this is a great choice for a meal in Gubbio - unassuming but good quality, with tasty local food, friendly service and a cheerful, understatedly stylish interior.

In 2014 I ate here again, with Chris, this time in the pleasant garden as it was a warm evening. Again I chose the “Pizza Delicata” and again was very pleased with it, as was Chris with his own pizza choice. This remains a favourite Gubbio restaurant for me - unassuming, friendly and great at what it does, serving good local food at great prices.

Inside the restaurant Chickpea soup

La Cia: Lunch with a view

by toonsarah Updated Sep 21, 2014

When you visit the Basilica of Sant’ Ubaldo on the top of Monte Ingino you have two options for lunch or other refreshments. There is a small informal café with a large terrace right by the funivia station, or a slightly smarter bar / restaurant part way along the path to the basilica. The latter is the place of choice if you want the best possible view with your meal. Its terrace offers panoramic views over Gubbio, the valley beyond, and the mountains among which it nestles.

There is plenty of choice when it comes to food too. On our recent visit I had a good crescia, the local flat-bread, filled with grilled aubergine, cheese, tomato and rocket. Chris had a tuna panino which he also enjoyed. I didn’t note the prices but we considered them very reasonable given the location. With few competitors up here, and the necessity of getting everything up the hill, they might be tempted to charge a premium for the views, but in fact prices are comparable to elsewhere in Gubbio.

~~ next tip: a statue of Sant’ Ubaldo

View from La Cia View from La Cia La Cia from the path

Ristorante Piatto d'Oro: Authentic Eugubini dishes, no tourists

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Last year in October, my Italian teacher Edvige took me to Piatto d’Oro to show me a restaurant which is very famous with the locals. But since they have no website and since they don’t advertise anywhere and since it is located in Branca, one of Gubbio’s suburbs, tourists would not likely find their way here. And the dishes are oh so good! Since it was autumn we wallowed in mushroom dishes, had bruschetta to start with, one with pieces of fried porcini, the other one with minced ones. This was followed by frittata (omelette) with herbs and mushrooms and then came our pasta dishes: tagliatelle with porcini and gnocchi for me. We finished with meat and chicory (cicoria) and there was no room left for any desert, caffè only.
    We were both very much satisfied with our meal and paid not more than 20 Euro each.

Piatto d’Oro on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., June 2010 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

This is the end of my description of Gubbio and surroundings. Thanks for having followed my tour. If you wish, please return to my Intro page

Fritata with herbs Bruschetta with two types of porcini Home made gnocci, marvellous! Tagliatelle with porcini Cicoria dish, delicious!

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Taverna del Lupo: Good local Umbrian dishes (October 09)

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

During my second visit to Gubbio in autumn 2009 I had dinner in Taverna dei Lupo again, this time with my Italian teacher Edvige. Again it was a good experience. We have both decided to eat the Italian way which includes every course and we both chose almost the same dishes. As starters we had wonderful crispy rolls on a bed of fresh porcini and cheese with grated parmesan cheese (photo 1), followed by truffle and ham lasagne (photo 2) and steak of wild boar in olive oil and herbs (photo 3). This time we opted for desert as well. Edvige ordered a chocolate mousee with vanilla ice cream while I decided that I must sample the famous Vin Santo with cantuccini (almond cakes). The latter one was especially delicious; it reminded me a bit of German Ice Wine, albeit it was not as sweet, which I liked. The cantuccini, by the way, need to be dipped into the Vin Santo and then they literally melt on the tongue.

We were both satisfied with our meal, although, no matter how Taverna del Lupo tries, they will never ever reach the culinary heaven and dedication of my favourite restaurants of all, Redibis in Bevagna. Our bill came to 120 € for all our dishes including tip.

Taverna del Lupo on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update June 2010.

continue with next review => Ristorante Piatto d'Oro (outside)

Crispy roll on a bed of fresh porcini and cheese Truffle and ham lasagne Steak of wild boar in olive oil and herbs Chocolate mousee with vanilla ice cream Vin Santo with cantuccini
    • Luxury Travel

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Taverna del Lupo: Good local Umbrian dishes (April 08)

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

During my search for local specialities restaurants in April 2008 I found this nice restaurant. I saw Taverna del Lupo already during my first evening walk, but I wasn’t hungry, so I only looked at the menu displayed outside. I liked it. It is said that the taverna is Gubbio’s prime option for dining and yes, it is located in a very nice cellar-like room, where the individual seating areas are separated from each other by cupboards or walls. The ambience is very elegant and I felt a bit out of place in my shabby trousers (yes, I forgot that bella figura is very important in Italy). But it didn’t seem to matter.

Favorite Dish: Like in the good Italian restaurants, also here I found “only” a few selections per course, but as already mentioned elsewhere, this is a sign for fresh ingredients and preparation. It was easy to choose so I had gnocchi as starter and primo (photo 1), which were delicious and only in tomato sauce with basil. As main course I opted for the tagliata (beef, cut into small pieces) with salad and aceto balsamico with chopped onion and garlic. It tasted excellent, soft and really rare. As desert I found the selection at the trolley very inviting but did choose a wild berry mini cake only, which was soft and light enough to fit in and made me feel not too full.
    All in all my dinner came to 45 € with caffè and a glass of local red wine.

Taverna del Lupo on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., February 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update June 2010.

continue with next review => Ristorante Taverna del Lupo (in autumn)

Taverna del Lupo: my very delicious beef Taverna del Lupo: gnocchi heaven Taverna del Lupo: inside, very elegant Taverna del Lupo: the outside
    • Architecture

Faro Rosso: Faro Rosso, prime view across the valley

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

In May 2010, my Italian teacher Edvige Galasso suggested Faro Rosso for a lunch break and indeed it was a good idea. Apart from that we also had excellent weather and had a prime view over the valley and of course at Gubbio and its location at the bottom of Monte Ingino. Faro Rosso seems to be very popular among the locals, especially during the weekend, so it provides a lot of seating inside and also outside. It is also a hotel (but for those with car only since there is no public transport up here), with a huge pool area.

According to my usual habit (eat “Italian” with all courses every other day) I had mixed local antipasti which were split into a cold and a warm dish, followed by tagliatelle with fresh porcini and then again a tagliata. Oh my, this was so good and so much, especially the two antipasti dishes that I could not find room for desert. Well, next time. I can’t say how much our bill was because I was invited and we didn’t order according to menu but according to the suggestions the waiter gave us. But it can’t be that much, given the relatively low prices of their accommodation.

Update March 2012:
    DanaeFilmProduction, a local media company, has made a nice video about Faro Rosso. It is 9 minutes long, but gives quite a good impression about the restaurant, the views and the accommodation.

Favorite Dish: .
    Directions:
    Drive past Teatro Romano (the teatro to your left), cross Gubbio’s bypass road (SS 219 = driving beneath it) and follow the road through the “suburbs” (Italian: Frazione and Località) Fontanelle, Canalecce, Monteluiano until you are finally on top of the hills opposite Gubbio. Faro Rosso is signposted almost all the way after having passed SS 219.

Faro Rosso on Google Maps.

continue with next review => Ristorante Taverna del Lupo (1)

Faro Rosso Antipasti, cold Antipasti, warm Tagliatelle with porcini

Alla Balestra: Alla Balestra, excellent dishes, central

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

Another excellent dining option in the old town centre without having to pay an arm and a leg is “Alla Balestra”, in Via della Repubblica, just where the Corso (Corso Garibaldi) leads off to the east. They have excellent pizza and many other good dishes. I eat here very often in the meantime, also because Federica's guests get discount (ask for Mario, the friendly owner). Their dishes are all listed on the website below, albeit without prices. But we paid approx. 5,50 Euro for our pizze (mine was a Napoletana). My other dishes were Penne alla Balestra (a type of arrabiata), Crocchette e olive ascolane, delicious pannacotta and a very delicious lemon sorbet.

Alla Balestra on Google Maps.

continue with next review => Ristorante at Faro Rosso

Alla Balestra Crocchette e olive ascolane Salad with meat and oranges Delicious lemon sorbet

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Ristorante Pizzeria All'Antico Frantoio: Excellent restaurant in an old oil mill

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

By now this is one of my favourite restaurants in Gubbio. It is not as classy as Taverna del Lupo but down to earth AND the meals are very delicious. The restaurant is located in the cellar of an old oil mill (at least that is what the name frantoio suggests) and has seating for approximately 200 people, although this is not really obvious. But this does not mean that tables are available anytime: reservations are highly recommended. I once came at 21:00 on a Sunday and it was impossible for me to get a table. The waiters are very friendly and will make excellent recommendations if one is unsure of what to eat. And they serve the best pizza in town. In case of good weather there is also seating outside.

On my first visit I had carpaccio, followed by pasta tagliatelle with wild green asparagus and pannacotta with raspberries as desert (approx. 22 Euro altogether) and on my second time I tried their delicious tagliata (beef, roasted as whole piece and then cut into small pieces, main photo) served with rucola (rocket). The latter was indeed very good, the best tagliata I had in Italia so far.

They are open during lunch time and seem to have adapted to non-Italian eating hours; the sign tells that they serve pizza from noon on (no Italian would eat at noon..). In the evening they open at (I think) 19:00, but since this is not yet Italian-dinner time, it is easier to get a table then. Closed on Mondays.

Directions:
    It is very easy to find since it is located in the town wall just opposite of the parking at Teatro Romano. From inside the town walls, enter Via Cavour and follow the sign to parking Teatro Romano (through a little archway).

All’Antico Frantoio on Google Maps.

continue with next review => Ristorante Alla Balestra

The so delicious tagliata :-) Pasta with verdura Tagliatelle with green asparagus One of the many delicious pizze of Antico Frantoio Pannacotta with raspberries - oh yummmm...

La Gelateria: Delicious gelato in Via della Repubblica

by Trekki Updated Aug 13, 2013

I had my gelato here almost daily, but somehow I completely forgot to take a photo. At least the one I have uploaded shall serve the purpose of showing where approximately it is. Located in Via della Repubblica, on the way from Piazza Quaranta Martiri upwards to Piazza Grande, it has a prime location. Their gelati are freshly made and not all flavours might be available all the time. My favourite, cassata siciliana, was not available from time to time, but I take this as a good sign of freshness. I also like that they don’t waste their time or molest the locals by offering weird flavours which are not at all Italian – what you get are the typical Italian flavours (limone, cassata siciliana, stracciatella, pistachio, liquirizia (licorice), granita, chocolate, yoghurt, strawberry, raspberry, etc). Gelati are served in cups or cones, with or without whipped cream (= panna, really good, better than elsewhere). Each flavour is approx. 0,90 €.

The name of this gelateria is simply La Gelateria :-). And it is closed in winter. Sorry but I haven't yet asked when exactly they close in winter and open in spring, but in November it is already closed.

La Gelateria on Google Maps.

continue with next review => THE meeting point in Gubbio

The gelateria is on the left :-)

Instant Answers: Gubbio

Comments

Gubbio Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gubbio restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gubbio sightseeing.