Orvieto Restaurants

Meta Market
    by TooTallFinn24
    by leics
    My cono (yes, I'd already licked a bit!)
    by leics

Most Recent Restaurants in Orvieto

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Mezza Luna: Excellent Pasta Carbonara

by TooTallFinn24 Written May 17, 2013

Spaghetti carbonara which was highly recommended was excellent. The pasta comes with what I believe to be sauteed onions, bacon and lots of fresh parmesan cheese. This place has only about ten tables so on most nights a reservation is recommended. Two can eat is this restaurant for as little as under 15 euros including a split salad. Molto bene!

Favorite Dish: When on an out of country trip everyone wants to eat where the locals do, a sure sign that a restaurant is good. Well, the Mezza Luna is definitely where the locals eat and for good reason. The food is tasty and well prepared and the prices are very reasonable.

The biggest difficulty we had in Italy with dinner was getting used to the fact that restaurants do not usually open in the evening until 1900 or 1930. By that time we were usually hungry and more often than not ended up buying food at a grocery store and lugging it back to the hotel or b & b.

Mezza Luna's hours are no different but their food is very good. Recommended by the host of our b and b Daniele, it was said that there carbonera was excellent.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Meta Market: Restaurant Alternative in Orvieto

by TooTallFinn24 Written May 16, 2013

Meta Market

After over three works on the road eating in restaurants and bed and breakfast lobbies can get tiring. The cost of dinners can also take a toll on holiday budgets. Italy has many large markets such as Conrad, and Penny that offer traditional groceries for everyday living in Italy. Smaller COOP markets focus on goods locally produced and are an alternative to the big box store.

However sitting unimposing along the Corso Cavallo in Orvieto is the relatively tiny Meta Market. The store had some excellent strips of grilled chicken, hard to find, and some very fresh spring mix green salads that made for a great dinner. A few deli items as well including local cheeses. were also excellent.

So for well under 10 euros we got a package of grilled chicken, spring green salad mx with olives and tomatoes, little packages of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. a nice package of local chocolate chip cookies, some fruit, and a large bottle of cold water.

Favorite Dish: The grilled chicken was excellent

• leics's Profile Photo

Gelati Pasqualetti: Very good gelato...:-)

by leics Written Jul 24, 2012

Gelateria Pasqualetti

I've not yet had a low-standard gelato artiginale (home-made ice-cream) in Italy (I generally have at least one each day) but this place ranks among the best I've had.

In fact, it gets rave reviews on several other websites (I've just discovered this).

I bought mine (pistachio and a gorgeous 'noce', which included big lumps of chocolate with embedded walnuts...superb!) from a tiny shop opposite the Torre Civica at the junction of Via Duomo and corso Cavour.

I've since discovered this is just a small branch of the main gelateria, which is in Piazza Duomo itself. I didn't notice it, for some reason...no idea why.

Anyway, the gelato was wonderful and very reasonably priced (2.50 euro for the cono in the photo, July 2012).

Don't miss it...don't visit Orvieto without trying at least a small cono. Even if the weather is really cold when you're there! :-)

• Seniors
    • Singles

• JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo

Gelateria Pasqualetti: Dreamy gelato in hill top location

by JohanIsWeg Written Feb 6, 2011

Gelateria Pasqualetti

Very highly regarded Italian gelateria in Orvieto. The two stores are situated at Corso Cavour 56 and Piazza Duomo 14.

We visited the one in Corso Cavour and while we did not think it the best we had in Italy, it certainly qualified to be among the top few. Well worth a visit!

• Seniors

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

La Paloma: Local food

by oriettaIT Written Feb 5, 2011

the resraurant door

We were in Orvieto with a friend who live nearby and visit often. She took us to this cozy little restaurant where she go back often. It is old and have been there for a long time (since 1900).
    The menu include several local specialty and change according with the season.
    Everything we tried was delicious.
    It is always full as the dining room is small and lots of locals go there so it is best to make a reservation, you can just stop going by during the morning to tell them to reserve a table for you or call them.

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Ristorante Antico Bucchero: The best meal of our Italian trip

by Bunsch Updated Sep 8, 2010

The various guides had suggested that if we wanted to splurge, Antico Bucchero would be a good place to do so. There was lovely shaded seating outside, but it was such a very hot day that we opted for the air conditioned comfort of an indoor table. (There are a few steps to navigate if you are dining inside.) We had a marvelously attentive waiter, who promptly arrived with some excellent, crisp Classico wine -- after we'd each guzzled nearly a liter of water and could properly appreciate it.

The dining room is rather old fashioned, and I presume that many of the menu items were classics. Certainly my friend's tagliatelle tartufo (which came with an abundance of black truffle shaved on top, right at the table) was so delicious that we wanted to savor it slowly, enjoying each mouthful. I had an almost equally fine risotto -- I seemed to order it everywhere, and it was always different. You'd think I would be able to recall whether we opted for dessert there or gelato elsewhere, but I can't; must have been all the wine.

It is true that our lunch was relatively expensive, but I'd have to say it was worth it.

Open Mon-Sat 12:00-5:00 PM and 7:00-11:00 PM; closed Sunday.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish? Whatever I order the next time I visit Orvieto!

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Ristorante La Rocca Agriturismo: Glorious food, glorious views

by Bunsch Written Aug 28, 2010

My friend on the terrace, ready to order

The restaurant which is attached to La Rocca Agriturismo offers both indoor and outdoor seating (on several levels, and under umbrellas should the sun be too strong). It features an unusual -- and exceptional -- menu, which changes by season so that always the freshest local ingredients can be served to guests. We arrived as exhausted travelers without any real expectations, and were quite overwhelmed by both the quality and service. It was such a great meal that we were trying to decide whether to simply eat there for dinner during the rest of our stay in Orvieto. Our waitress kindly explained that only the specials (fish, and some other dish du jour) would change. But if you are not going to stay at the agriturismo, do make the effort to come out for dinner at least once while you're in Orvieto. You won't be sorry -- I promise you a memorable evening!

Favorite Dish: I selected a risotto (I'd been having them all over Italy, for comparison's sake), and it was absolutely perfect. In fact, I didn't even want to share any of it! The restaurant provides a little "amuse bouche" and also delicious hand-made chocolates with after-dinner coffee.

• Spa and Resort

• royalempress's Profile Photo

Hotel (farmhouse) Locanda Rosati: Only your grandmother could make these meals

by royalempress Updated Dec 2, 2009

Most of the time the tables were joined together for dining family style. What a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world. Most of the family usually joined you for dinner every evening. It was really neat that over half of the people every night were Italians from all over Italy. Giampiero Rosati, one of the family, was really great translating so we were able to carry on conversations with the guests.

Favorite Dish: It was all soooo good. At the end of dinner, after desert they brought out the lemoncello and grapa.. All the wine and drinks were included in the meals... Wow!!! they lost money on me.. :)

• royalempress's Profile Photo

Locanda Rosati: Fabulous food at the Locanda

by royalempress Updated Dec 2, 2009

Our room was right over the kitchen and every morning the aromas of the kitchen drifted into the room. It was very hard waiting until dinner to eat. As you can see from the picture, the kitchen is clean and first rate. Everything is made from scratch, they even make their own pasta daily.

We stayed for a week in 2004, and after the first dinner, we reserved our spot for the whole week. We stayed the next year, 2006, for another week and have reservations for another week next summer 2010.
    Most of the recipes are from the grandmother or other people in the family. They have started selling a cookbook for some of their recipes. I try to duplicate the recipes at home but somehow its not as good.
    They make their own jams from chestnuts and fruits on the farm. You can purchase jams and other products that they produce on the farm.

Just back from our 2006 stay at the Inn. This time we met up with 4 other couples. The Rosati Inn is still great!!! We are already planning our next stay in 2010. We just can't stay away from this place.

Favorite Dish: Who could have a favorite its all so good. One thing I do like in particular is the roasted duck. They have a wood fired stove outside and periodically they roast chickens and ducks. All fresh poultry from the farm.

They also have their own dairy farm and they get fresh milk and cream daily.... Oh!!! it was so good... We went with them when they went to the dairy farm and it was fun.

• jeffmartinartist's Profile Photo

L'ASINO D'ORO is No More 2008 :(: “Lucio has moved to Roma”

by jeffmartinartist Updated Apr 22, 2009

L'ASINO D'ORO Orvieto

Under “theme of restaurant” you may have noticed I checked local rather than Italian that is because this is traditional Umbrian cuisine. I have some how managed to eat in this restaurant more times than I have stayed in Orvieto. This is because I time my arrival before lunch and never depart prior to lunch the following day and on a number of occasions have squeezed dinner in between.

This tip is not for consumers of fast food. So. If you think pasta is pasta or you think a pizza should be delivered to your door or that you can make a better and creamier risotto at home using cream as an ingredient or, or, or, even that McDonalds IS a RESTAURANT! Stop reading NOW and please move on to another page.

OK for the purists that now remain, this is it, I have discovered nirvana. L’ASINO D’ORO in Orvieto.

I do not want to blow my own trumpet but I have consumed meals in Michelin star restaurants. I have dared to cook porcini risotto for a very cynical audience from Milan and received astonished compliments and I have worked in some outstanding restaurants with extraordinary chefs. So when I say, “this is the best food I have ever consumed” they should not be considered hollow words.

Favorite Dish: Lucio Sforza is producing very traditional Umbrian cuisine in this very small restaurant contained within the walls of the city of Orvieto as if protecting decades of knowledge. Ingredients are seasonal and range from Local wild boar loin to homemade wind dried horsemeat. Ha, that’s got a few of you running but I should say my wife is vegetarian and this is her favorite restaurant as well. So much so that we got married in Orvieto in 2003 just so we could eat here afterwards.

I won’t add any more because if you love food, you also love to discover things and although I write this in Australia with a menu Lucio gave me under my nose, I know he has changed everything and nothing by now. If you do make the effort to visit please say hi from me.

• Luxury Travel

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Gelateria Pasqualetti: Oh so heavenly gelato near the duomo

by Trekki Updated Mar 28, 2009

Oh yes, I know that we have too many “best ice cream shops” tips for all over Italy in VT. But this one is officially approved :-). When I walked around the duomo I saw a lovely outdoor seating with shrubs and flowers and a gelateria sign. Almost automatically I went inside and joined the queue at the counter. So I had enough time to study their flavours and decided to try their cassata siciliana. Oh joy! It was so good, so original, so pure in taste, it reminded me so much of the cassata ice cream I had as a kid during our Italy holidays. It was so good that I went there three times during my two days of Orvieto exploring. And what a delight to read afterwards that Gelateria Pasqualetti won the second prize in an Italian ice cream competition some time ago. Haha, I was so occupied with the flavour that I completely forgot to take a photo of either the ice cream or the shop, but luckily I found a photo of it in www.

Favorite Dish: Gelato!!!!

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Locanda Rosati: Very delicious homecooking – agriturismo

by Trekki Updated Mar 19, 2009

Locanda Rosati, delicious salad

Italy’s agriturismos do have a fame for very delicious homecooking. If the location is just right it all combines to a very much enchanting stay. I was surprised that I didn’t found Locata Rosati earlier on VT, as Mike and Sue have
    devoted their Orvieto page almost entirely to this agriturismo and were obviously so happy with their stay that they book(ed) again and again.
    I stayed there for 2 nights and didn’t book the dinner on my first night, as I was too tired from the journey (and the road traffic). But I regretted this on the second night, when I did book my dinner there, because all we ate was simply amazing! Paolo, brother of the owner Giampiero Rosati, is the chef and he creates very much delicious meals!! But it is not only the meals that make this all so special, but also the location itself. The old farmhouse has been converted to be a real guest-house (aka house for the guests), where the ground floor rooms were either living room, reading room or dining area. We guests were all seated at a long table and Paolo brought the dishes. Oh delight!! We had a very delicous salad as a starter (photo 1), green salad, stuffed eggs and olives and the plates were quickly empty. As a main course we got
    tiny pieces of chicken meat, covered with a tomato sauce full with herbs and a selection of vegetables and potato (photo 2). And as we had finsihed all and the desert as well, Giampiero brought some wine and limoncello on the table. The wine was made from his grapes and tasted delicious (Orvieto is famous for white wine) and the limoncello was from a friend near Amalfi coast. Do I need to mention that we all went to our rooms very late and very merry?

The meal was accounted with 32 Euro, which was not that much, given the fact that no one counted the wine we drank.

Favorite Dish: Giampiero (the owner, not our boss) told me that it is possible for non-guests to have dinner here. Call in advance and make a reservation. There is no menu to select from, but only the dishes of the day. But given my own experience as well as Mike & Sue’s (who stayed here longer and already twice), it is excellent, no matter what is served!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Wine Tasting

• Hostaria Nonnamelia Pizzeria: DO NOT GO HERE - Worst service ever

by dcjennsh20 Written Aug 16, 2008

This restaurant in Orvieto near the church was horrible. There were eight of us and we arrived at the restaurant at 1:15pm and had an hour and 30 minutes to spend there before meeting our tour. The waiters were always in a rush and anytime we asked for something we were given the cold shoulder. After our food did not arrive for over an hour, we asked the waiter to check on it. Then, they notified one of the girls they were out of the vegetable and she went to cancel the order. They became very angry and the owner told us in Italian (translated by some people in our group) that "This was a a ***ing restaurant, noyt a fast food place.) They were incredibly rude and screaming at us. Everyone in the restaurant got their food in a different order than when they arrived. At the end, 4 people never got their food even after waiting so long. The owenr made us all pay the 2 euro service charge and said he would call the police if we didnt pay. I have never, no matter what country, been screamed at like that before. One friend tried to look at the menu so we could evenbely divde the bill and figure out how much we each owed when the owenr snatched the menu out of her hands. I know most people might pass by and just wonder in, but if you make any plans here, DO NOT GO HERE. We need to start a campaign to get this restaurant closed.

• Vincaffe: Wonderful Wine and Great Food

by profsunshine Written Jan 24, 2008

Vincaffe is a beautifully decorated wine bar with a good food selection. The staff is incredibly knowledgable, they have carefully selected the wines on their list and they can answer any questions. A good place to go for a light lunch, dinner, or just to enjoy a bottle of wine. It offers a very elegant, yet relaxed and comfortable environment. Must try the prosciutto! Very highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: The prosciutto is delicious, the food is seasonal but they have ricotta with reduced balsamic crostini that ware amazing, and great salads (which can be hard to find).

• Osteria Nonnamelia, via duomo 25, Orvieto, Italy: don't eat here

by frustratedtraveler Written Nov 11, 2007

My husband and I went in for dinner at 7:50 pm: 8:10 a waiter came to take our order. Another 10 minutes he brought us bread and our wine. We thought because Italians eat late and at leisure we just "relaxed".
    After 13 other people came in after us and received their food we bagan to wonder what happened to our food. About 8:35 pm I went to "senore" and told him we had not received our food. He mumbled something; I returned to my table; senore disappeared then reappeared in the front of the restaurant without talking to us. We did not receive our food. We finally got up, paid for our wine and bread and said "we are out of here"!! If they don't want to serve Americans or "tourists" they should say so. I left a note on the door the next day saying they were very rude to us. I'm sure they didn't care what I said. We were looking forward to a very nice dinner and they treated us very bad.

Favorite Dish: Can't describe a dish as we were never served our meal. 13 other people came in after us and were all served their meals and we never received anything. VERY DISAPPOINTED.
    I would NOT bother to give Osteria Nonnamelia, via duomo 25, Orvieto, Itlay.
    DO NOT EAT AT OSTERIA NONNAMELIA, VIA DUOMO 25, Orvieto, Italy

Instant Answers: Orvieto

Comments

Orvieto Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Orvieto restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Orvieto sightseeing.