Urbania Shopping

So much cheese!
    Heavenly breads!

Most Recent Shopping in Urbania

• jeaniek13's Profile Photo

SUPERMERCATO SMA di Moretti e Rossi: Grocery in the outskirts of downtown Urbania

by jeaniek13 Updated Apr 14, 2007
    Warm and tasty focaccia

After living here for some time a girl needs variety. I didn't have a car or a bike -- just my two legs. I came across this grocery store, which was not in the city center, during one of my walks around Urbania. You need to cross the bridge (away from the city center) -- and into the areas where you will see some housing development. On the way to the grocer, I came across some artisans, a park, and some parents and their children (definitely more than I would run into in my neighborhood as I usually drive everywhere).

I think I shopped/ate here twice, because without a car it was quite a trek (and carrying things back would have been a chore) -- especially with CONAD or my other choices. However, what I did like is their deli selection, especially cooked foods, which was not as extensive in the city center -- which didn't make sense to me? Otherwise, everything else was pretty much the same.

During one of my trips, I ran into a friendly dog, named Tequila, and owner -- who shared my focaccia.

What to buy: Try their focaccia and other tasty items in the deli.

• jeaniek13's Profile Photo

Ugo e Ivana Specialita' Alimentari (Grocery): Husband and Wife Grocery Team!

by jeaniek13 Updated Apr 14, 2007

I shopped here sometimes if I didn't feel like walking to CONAD or if I just wanted to pick up a few items. Like most other places in Urbania (and Italy), the service was really friendly. It's a husband and wife team that runs a small store -- but not a franchise like Franco's Punto SMA or the CONAD, I think this is a mom & pop shop. So people, especially the older Urbanese, come here to chat with the owner/cashier/stocker (I'm sure they have other people to stock) -- it just seemed to be that kind of place. No pretensions. Just don't be in a rush to buy your items. Well, if you are in a rush -- you're in the wrong town.

What to buy: Ask Ugo or Ivana for recommendations.

Punto SMA: Friendly Grocer - Franco

by jeaniek13 Written Apr 13, 2007
    So much cheese!

Punto is smaller than CONAD, but it's owner Franco (at least he was when I was there) and his family provide friendly service to students. They also speak some English -- as they are used to the influx of students studying in Urbania. I would frequent this shop when I needed something or wanted something when I was at the school -- because it was closer to the school.

What to buy: Talk to Franco or any of his employees and they can tell you about their regional specialties:
    meats, wines, cheeses. They are really helpful.

• Business Travel

• jeaniek13's Profile Photo

CONAD: For most of your grocery needs

by jeaniek13 Written Apr 13, 2007
    Italian Supermarket

If you plan on staying in Urbania for some time, want to picnic, or need to grab some items you forgot to pack in your luggage -- stop at the local CONAD supermarket, Urbania's largest in-town grocer. While I stayed here, I shopped here primarily because of:

*cost (because of its size it was the cheapest)
    *location (closest one to my apt.)
    *selection (most selection of all stores, although you may have to go to other specialty stores -- e.g., fruit, vegetable, seafood, butcher, etc.)
    *hours (they are closed on Sundays, like most stores in Urbania -- unless something has changed in small town Italy)
    *service (employees would tell me when items would go on sale, how cool is that?)

What to buy: Try the

*Verdicchio wine (white wine particular to the region)
    *fossa cheese

and anything else you want

• stefano99's Profile Photo

Fine Ceramics

by stefano99 Written Mar 12, 2004

What to buy: Urbania used to called Castel Durante and in the 16th Century boasted 32 pottery workshops.

Today there are many shops where fine pottery is sold.

If you would like to learn about the historic art there are several pottery courses available in the town.

Instant Answers: Urbania

Comments

Urbania Shopping

Reviews and photos of Urbania shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Urbania sightseeing.