Corso del Popolo is the heart of Chioggia and to locals it has the same meaning as Piazza San Marco for the Venetians. In the sunday morning it is very vivid place, overcrowded by the both locals and visitors. Locals who attended sunday's mass, meeting friends or chatting in one of the numerous cafe bars. For the visitors it is sights from where they start exploring this small but very cute place.
Just to the right of the Vigo Column is the Vigo Bridge. This bridge forms the balcony of the town and the most artistic of the eight bridges crossing Chioggia's Vena canal - it is the equivalent of Venice's Rialto Bridge. It ws built in 1685 to replace a bridge of wood on which harsh fights occurred during the war of Chioggia (1379 -1380). Originally a masonry bridge, it was adorned with marble from Istra in 1762. In the past, a light used to be placed on it as an orientation signal for the mariners.
Its not hard to find the fish market - the smell will draw you to it!. Located by the main Canal running through Chioggia - entrance is through this archway. Full of local colour - we manged to catch it just before they were closing up for the morning and we saw an impressive selection of fish.
As you arrive at Chioggia via the ferry one of the first things to see is the Vigo Column.This column was discoverd in 1763, during the excavations for the reconstruction of the bell and clock tower of the Old City Hall. Carved in greek marble, its holds a Byzantine capital of the 12th century, with lion of St. Mark on the top, which is popularly called "the Cat". The then mayor G. Mussato had it placed in its present site in 1786.
Chioggia, a lively, busy seaside town that has a history oozing out of each stone. It has a very unusual appearance: Its alleys or 'calli' radiate outwards from the main square in classic herring bone structure.