Murano Shopping

by lina112

Most Recent Shopping in Murano

• Vetreria Ducale: Glass Shopping in Murrano Italy

by MEROSE Updated Dec 17, 2009

Extensive selection of goods. Grossly over priced then, all marked down 60%. But watchout because the marked down price is still overpriced. One paperweight was 75 Euro (final price) and could be found in Vencie for 40-45 Euro. Larger items were much more expensive in Vetreria than could be found in other local shops. One vase was 5X more expensive.

The shop arranges with hotels in Venice to offer free boat rides to Ventreria Ducale, you must find your own way back via public transportation. Public transportation is easy and cheap - DON't go for the free ride to any shop.

What to buy: Glass
    My recommendation is
    1) LOOK but DON'T buy, or
    2) If you must buy, negotiate prices way down, or
    3) Just don't go, it is humiliating to be taken for a ride.

What to pay: Comparison shop BEFORE you go. Learn to recognize quality. Sales of art is hard to compare. Vetreria appears to have good quality but at unrealistic prices, 2-5x too high.
    Be wary of the free ride to the shop. They lead you to believe that this is the only shop on the island. Salesman will court you to the point of annoyance. They prey on single women.

• Women's Travel

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Linea Mazzuccato SRL: l'artigianato fattosi arte

by grandmaR Updated May 17, 2009

Vases and pitchers like the one we saw made

After the demonstration, they took us to an area where the very very expensive glass was on display. These were the signed pieces by the Masters. We were not allowed to take any pictures here.

What to buy: Probably the signed pieces by the masters are too expensive. Some of the work down by the apprentices should be just as good and way cheaper.

I don't like this glass as much (I think it is sort of gaudy) as the crystal that they make at Waterford in Ireland.

What to pay: The least expensive fish signed by the master was €595 (including shipping and insurance), but a rearing horse that I got for my daughter by an apprentice was €55 (photo 4)

• Cruise

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Linea Mazzuccato: Glass Shop at the Factory

by DEBBBEDB Updated May 13, 2009

Angel fishe - lips and eye on right

I wanted to get something for my mom and dad. I already had bought something for my sister while we were in Barcelona.

What to buy: My grandmother said she would go in with me and the gift would be for my parents birthdays, Christmas and anniversary for this year from both of us. They wouldn't let us take any photos in the shop where the master's glass was displayed, so I only have the ones that I took after it got to our house and they aren't that good because we are keeping it in the china cabinet for fear that if we put it in the window, it might fall and break.

Photo 4 is of a chandelier and photo 5 was a photo I took without giving the camera time to focus in the showroom where we weren't supposed to take pictures.

What to pay: My grandmother asked them what they had in the shape of a fish for under €500 because my dad is a big fisherman. (My mom doesn't eat fish, but she doesn't mine fish sculpture) The best they were able to do was €650

• Luxury Travel
    • Cruise

• lina112's Profile Photo

Everywhere in Murano: Murano Glass

by lina112 Updated Aug 13, 2008

Murano is very well known around the world for its famous glass, there you´ll find tha present that you´re looking for, you can choose between a set of 6 glass or a simple hanging. There are lots of shops in the gran canale and in the small ones around it.

Murano es mundialmente conocida por su famoso cristal, allí encontrarás el regalo que vayas buscando, hay donde elegir desde un juego de vasos hasta el mas sencillo colgante. Hay muchas tiendas donde elegir entre el gran canal y los pequeños canales de los alrededores.

• Museum Visits

• fdrich29's Profile Photo

Vetreria Ducale: The real deal for Murano Glass

by fdrich29 Updated Dec 6, 2006

Lighthouse across from Murano

Upon arriving in Venice I was approached by a man who claimed to be from the Italian Board of Tourism and he told me he was offering free boat taxi rides to Murano to boost the glass industry. He told me the boat would bring me right to the factory where we could watch people make glass then we could visit the store and see if there was anything we'd like to buy. Even though I was a bit skeptical we decided to take the man's offer and take the ride to Murano, which brought us to Vetreria Ducale. We watched a man making glass, which was explained by a staff person as it was being done. Afterward the staff person, Mirco, brought us upstairs to the gallery. He was a gifted salesperson and a very nice man (so rare to find both those qualities in the same person). Ducale feels more like a museum than a store, the glass pieces are truly works of art and ther was something for everyone. My wife picked out a piece that was blue and green, our favorite colors, and a small vase for her mother (we picked the vase first, but when we showed interest in the other piece we were given the vase for free and only paid for the other piece). We had both items engraved and shipped back to America (turned out to be just over $200 in customs charges once it reached La Guardia in NYC). Mirco made the shopping process easy, and fun and made us feel like royalty throughout the entire process.

What to buy: You're on Murano for one reason, and there's only one reason to be on Murano...to buy Murano glass. Ducale has a very large selection of glass items, decorative, functional and exotic.

What to pay: Although there are lesser priced glass pieces downstairs, upstairs at Ducale expect to spend anywhere between 300-several thousand Euros for a piece. Bartering is welcome and expected (although I'm lousy at it and didn't even try).

• rubbersoul75's Profile Photo

Glass shops

by rubbersoul75 Updated Jun 15, 2006

we were on the search for a saleboat

If coming to Murano, you'll encounter and be tempted to by some sort of glass product. You may even be coming here for that sole purpose. They make everything out of glass, I won't try to list what you'll find, but it is extensive.

I have heard that some of the stores have products that are knock-offs made elsewhere so watch out. I don't know how the average person can tell if they are from Murano or not, they've got "made in Murano" stickers but you can put that on anything. Some cheap items may be obvious.

My advice would be to check many shops before you make a purchase, and talk to the shop owners. That is probably the best way to get a feel for the product and Reputability.

*Note the prices shown are generally if you are paying with a Credit Card, show cash and they'll probably drop 10% off the bill.

What to buy: well, glass stuff

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Co-op: Local Shopping

by sandysmith Written Jul 15, 2004

co-op!

Even on the small islabnd of Murano there is a big co-op food store on two levels. Everything the locals needed was here - no need to cross to Venice for the groceries.
    It was handily placed near our hotel too - not far from the Museo waterbus stop.

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Many available: Murano Glass

by darkjedi Written Mar 8, 2008

The choice of glass craft objects is simply amazing. There are animals, plants, toys and gifts ranging from a few Euro to many thousands.

What to pay: Whatever you can afford

Instant Answers: Murano

Comments

Murano Shopping

Reviews and photos of Murano shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Murano sightseeing.