Padova Restaurants

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

La Meridiana: Excellent pizza and Ethiopian food

by oriettaIT Updated Mar 6, 2014

Vegetarian combo

The entrance of this Ristorante Pizzeria dont give it justice, it is located in a busy street out of the city center and you cant tell from the outside if the place would be nice or not. BUT once you open the door you are pleasantly surprise!!
    The ambience is nice, few tables surrounded by nice decorarion, street lights and plants give you the feeling you are in a outdoor terrace not indoor.
    The weiters are very friendly and usefull when you ask them help to make your choice. They serve Pizzas, salads and italian food. Everything is well cooked and presented.
    It is Closed on Sunday. It can be hard to find a parking for a car but it is possible to reach it easily from the tram stop Santa Croce or Cavallotti.

Favorite Dish: Even if i tried more than once their restaurant's specialties and i love it alll, I like to come to this place for their pizza. The croust is perfectly raised and all the ingredients are fresh and high quality.
    My favourite pizza here is a Margherita with bufala mozzarella, so simple but WOW ... SO GOOD!!!

End of 2013 this restaurant changed a bit, they still serve pizza and it is still excellent, but they added a Ethiopian menu. I tried it recently and was impressed. It was very tasty and nice to try something new.
    I ordered the vegetarian combo and it came with a base of flat bread and three different kind of vegetable stew, lentils etc. My friends had the meat and they were happy with they plates too.

I will definietely keep going back for pizza but for their Ethiopian dishes as well.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Caffé Pedrocchi: Signature espresso!

by Jerelis Written Dec 19, 2013
    The entrance of Caff�� Pedrocchi.

We were in Padua to soak up history, and our guidebook mentioned this elegant café and meeting place built in 1831. The café has historical prominence because of its role in the 1848 riots against the Austrian Hapsburg monarchy. So, enough reasons to try it for ourselves. We chose a seat near the open doors in the Red room where we could watch the local scene. And, being right in the heart of the university district, there is plenty of entertainment.

Considering its history and prime location, we found Pedrocchi’s prices reasonable. My panino for €10,- was far superior to one for €9 at the rail station, and here I was comfortably seated in an upscale venue. I also ordered their signature Caffè Pedrocchi: a shot of espresso topped with a thick mint cream and sprinkled with chocolate. The contrasting hot and cold flavours created a singular experience. On a future visit, we will also make time to explore the upstairs rooms and museum.

Favorite Dish: Must try their signature espresso! Whipping cream on the bottom espresso and a amazing cocoa on top that you don't stir together. Molto buono.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Gelosia di Meneghello Grazia Emanuela: True gelaterie.

by Jerelis Written Dec 19, 2013
    Gheee, what to pick???

Padua is well-known for its prestigious and old university and the city also boasts a lot of testimonies of its glorious past. Padua is an interesting destination for tourists from all over the world and therefore we visited this beautiful city. But Padua is also for one ice cream parlors all over the city. We tasted this magnificent ice cream experience at the Gelaterie - Gelosia di Meneghello Grazia Emanuela. This particular ice cream parlor provides a gastronomic ice cream indulgence to children (and adults) of all ages. Many of the flavors are found nowhere else in the world.

If like me you are a fan of ice-cream you absolutely cannot leave the city of Padua without trying one of these succulent ices. Amongst the great number of different flavors on offer you might fall for the Sogno, a very nice ice cream made of coconut and almonds. Right here they use seasonal flavors and also do sorbets and frappe. No large scale seating, just a couple of benches and tables where you can sit down. The cherry on the ice is that the staff are incredibly kind, a characteristic that makes this particular ice-cream parlor even more attractive and delighted both my kids and my girlfriend as being true ice-cream lovers.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Brek Focacceria: Fresh, fresh and fresh!

by Jerelis Updated Dec 19, 2013

Sitting near the main entrance.

We spent some time in Padua recently and loved this place. Once we were looking for a nice place to enjoy our lunch we ran into the Brek Facacceria right at the beautiful square called P.tta Garzeria right at the old and ancient city center. We noticed that they had recipes from all over the world, not only typical Italian dishes. The products they use were fresh and prepared on the spot while watching at it.

Be aware that you can’t order at the counter they make the food, but at the other counter where the register is situated. Right here you have to tell them what you want and pay for it. For us a difficult task as we didn’t speak any Italian and the person who helped us did not speak any English. We were not able to point out which sandwich we wanted, because that was only possible at the other counter. We solved this by taking a picture of the sandwich with our mobile phone and showed the picture to the Italian guy. After we paid we received a ticket and could hand it over at the other counter in order to receive our sandwiches. Not something we expected (no one who spoke English) at such a huge and touristic Italian city.

But anyway, the food was fresh and great and we were able to sit in the sun at a nice patio and watch the people go by and have a look at the pigeons of Padua. Brek Focacceria press-grilled the sandwiches to enhance the flavors, turn the bread more fragrant and crunchy, and melt the cheese. We had the Prosciutto Panini with mozzarella and tomato and the un-grilled Panini Cotti which is with Italian ham. It was very tasteful and we highly recommend to have your sandwich lunch right here.

Favorite Dish: We had the Prosciutto Panini with mozzarella and tomato and the un-grilled Panini Cotti which is with Italian ham. It was very tasteful and we highly recommend to have your sandwich lunch right here.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

KAJRON'S kitchen: KAJRON'S kitchen

by croisbeauty Updated Sep 2, 2013

Mattia - kajron - the winner of Maratona del Santo

Well, I cannot tell you much about the location, have to keep it in secret. Mattia have invited me to his home for a late dinner. There was his brother too and we have spend a couple of hours in an very friendly atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The dinner was prepared by Mattia himself and it was very good. We had a bit of this and that (don't ask me for the details coz am not good in cooking) and everything was delicious.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Trattoria al Prato: Don't miss trattorias

by croisbeauty Updated Sep 2, 2013

Trattoria al Prato

Whenever in Padova, my tour of the city starts and ends in Pratto della Valle. There, around the Piazza, you'll find a number of restaurants offering "cheap" touristy menus, but I suggest you to avoid them because the food is not good.

Favorite Dish: Fortunatelly, there are good restaurants too around the piazza and, as far as I am concerned, Trattoria al Prato is the best one. In Italy, trattoria means, in a first place, a traditional restaurant which offers local dishes. I prefer trattorias and osterias rather than restaurants.
    I had well prepared roastbeaf with moushrooms and potatoes (a kind of medallions), which was delicious. As for the price, along with red wine and coffee, I paid it something more than 20 Euros.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Ristorante Vecchio Facloniere: Great Home Made Sausages and Meats

by TooTallFinn24 Written Aug 5, 2013
    Vecchio Falconiere

Situated on a small canal with great smells coming out of the kitchen, Vecchio Falconiere was too hard to pass up on a mid afternoon day.

Since I was a table of one I was seated at a small table outside but with still an excellent view of the surrounding area. The lunch menu is quite extensive but features a wide variety of meat and meat dishes.

I decided on a small plate of sausages and fried bread. The sausages were served from a cart that makes it way through the restaurant. The sausages were made out of veal and pork. They are made on site at the restaurant. Very delicious even without any condiment. The fresh bread which had a small container of olive out was also very good.

The owner whose name I believe was Mohammed worked his way through the restaurant preparing some of the larger meat dishes at the table. There was a great amount of laughter and everyone seemed like they were having a good time. Even for the mid afternoon the place was crowded with only one or two available tables.

I decided not to have desert since it was only lunch.

Favorite Dish: The home made sausages and fried bread were excellent. I would try some of the other meats next time.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Bar Caffè al Duomo: Bar in face of the Cathedral

by Mikebond Written Jul 4, 2013

When I was visiting Padova with a Couchsurfer in June 2013, she wanted to have a coffee, so we happened to sit at this bar, located right opposite the cathedral (Duomo in Italian - by the way, this is not to be confused with Saint Anthony's basilica!).
    The price list was quite long and included many kinds of coffee-related drinks, as well as food, but I found the prices to be higher than the average.

Favorite Dish: I had a marocchino (chocolate drink with a bit of coffee) while my new friend had a "coffee-shake". We both liked our drink.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Cafe Caramel: Good for people watching!

by suvanki Updated Jun 8, 2013
    Aperol Spritz Tramezzi and  potato crisps

We drank and ate at this café/bar a few times during our weekend in Padova, enjoying the different atmosphere of day time, with the bustling Fruit and Veg markets activities, and at night time, when the square is illuminated, and tables and chairs are set out.
    It is located on the edge of the Piazza del Erbe, opposite the Right hand staircase of the Palazzo della Regione

A great spot for people watching, as locals and visitors of all ages, stroll/hurry/cycle past, in a continual procession.

The café/ bar has a good range of cocktails, beers, wines etc. Seating Inside and out.
    Open 08.00 - Mid night.
    Pleasant staff
    Clean (unisex) toilet

During our evening we were approached by a few itinerant hawkers - Cigarette lighters/tissues etc, but they weren't too persistent.

One chap was quite entertaining - with a selection of tacky key rings and a WC cigarette lighter. He demonstrated each of the animal key rings that lit up and made a noise -Moo/Quack/baa etc. We had quite a laugh with him- 'pretending to drive a hard bargain' In the end he won us over - I'm now the proud owner of a plastic toilet cigarette lighter, and a neighing horse key ring - Phil has a moo-ing cow version!!!

During the lunch time, a few head scarved ladies approached us with outstretched hands, but again, weren't too much of a problem.

Padova is a safe feeling city, but as always, watch your handbag/cameras/phones etc when You're sitting at the outside bars.

We also enjoyed a lunch time spritz and Tramezzi at the Bar Nazionale opposite this bar - similar prices and range of snacks etc.

Favorite Dish: Our evening consisted of sampling a draught beer or two, while at lunch time we enjoyed an Aperol Spritz along with Tramezzini (sandwiches cut diagonally with the crusts cut off) and a complimentary bowl of crisps.

There was a good selection of fillings -Phil "You can't go wrong with cheese and tomato" opted for a tomato and mozzarrello, Me-" I'll try something different" enquired what Sfilacci was - horsemeat! That'll do me fine - this dried shredded meat is a speciality of the Veneto region (I'd tried it a few years ago on a pizza in Venice, and had quite liked it) was accompanied by rocket (rucola) and Grana - an Italian cheese. A decent snack for 1.80 Euros.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

El Algave: Recharge Your Senses!

by painterdave Updated Oct 29, 2012

tamales

There you are sitting in the piazza and a strange mood hits you, you begin to wish for spicy salsa, a margarita, corn tortillas and a little Mexican background music. You need a recharge!
    El Algave is the place to go as the female owner is a Mexican who can cook you up some tacos while her Italian husband makes you a margarita (not watered down) using a special triple sec made in Padova, while you relax in a nice atmosphere that they have created with wall hangings and decorations from Mexico.
    These owners in Padova and now have a devoted clientele who help make this ristorante a success. It was not easy to entice Italians so used to "Italian Cuisine" to try something new, and especially here in the north of Italy, something spicy. But they did it and now the place is packed. The last time I was there they were celebrating a Mexican Independence Day with tamales that were to die for, and there were so many people that they almost ran out of tamales.
    Being from the southwest of the U.S. I am grateful to find this restaurant and I go here often to satisfy my missing Mexican food that is so plentiful in Colorado through California.

Favorite Dish: Tacos Pastor
    Tamales
    Margarita
    Your won't find the menu exactly like Mexican restaurants in the U.S. as they come from Mexico and make it like they were taught by their parents in Mexico.
    I hope the new owners will keep the choices well made and visitors will find the taste of real Mexico.
    Having restaurants like this in Padova increases the chance that we will find corn tortillas and salsa made without sugar in the stores here.
    Masa???maybe in ten years.

Bellavista: Ristorante Out Of Padova

by painterdave Updated Oct 29, 2012

dry crepe

We visited Bellavista after obtaining a reduced price for two offer on an italian site. We were disappointed. This ristorante has a new owner, and our first visit with the previous owner was so different.
    We had an appetizer, see photo, and other courses. See photos.
    The menu had other choices, pasta and the usual Italian items basic to Italian dining. The offerings leaned towards fish.
    The course with the crepe.... seemed to be from a microwave and dried out. The sauces were far too creamy for my taste. The appetizer plate was also warmed up and you could tell that they had the plates set out and rewarmed. Not a good idea for shell fish, etc.
    There are far better choices of restaurants.
    This ristorante is situated 30 minutes from the center of Padova,
    During the warm months the dining can be outdoors, which is nice.
    It is a bit difficult to find as you think you will never find a ristorante in a neighborhood of only houses, but don't give up. It is at the end of the street.

Favorite Dish: Our food seemed to be warmed up and was cooked long before. Clearly they are cutting corners, and I did not think my food had a typical taste of the Veneto.

• School Holidays

Krishna: Indian Specialty In Padova Center

by painterdave Written Oct 8, 2012
    To Die For Dips and Bread

Located a few blocks from the train station along the tram route, Krishna offers up a host of Indian specialties. They feature a more than extensive menu of traditional cuisine. If you enjoy the many flavors of India, this is your place.
    Parking is a bit difficult as it is in the center, so I suggest you use the tram.
    Seating is spacious, with two large areas to choose from.
    Everything seemed clean and the restrooms were clean and modern.
    The wait staff was very attentive and explained the dishes we were thinking of choosing. They also took the time to give us more information about how the dishes were cooked and exactly what spices were used.
    This is an exotic experience at average prices.

Favorite Dish: See the photos of the food.
    You will not leave hungry!
    Try the 3 dipping types, these are really great!
    Lentils in Curry, another great dish.

• Trains

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Trattoria da Nicola: One of my favourite local restaurant

by oriettaIT Updated Sep 13, 2012

The upstair dining room

Very cosy restaurant, built inside a old farm, the dining area is split in two different floors plus a small side room for more intimacy, there is also a outdoor garden used during summer.
    The menu change according with the seasons and consist in a wide selection of local and international food. They have meat and fish dishes on the menu, sometimes they have more, let the waiter explain you all about them, usually they are SPECIAL.
    Wine list is good too, the average price for a nice bottle of wine is 15 euros, house wine is good too.
    Closed on Monday, during week end it can be quite busy so it would be better to make a reservation.

It is our "celebration" restaurant, we usually go on birthdays, anniversary etc, a special treat.

Favorite Dish: Zucchini flower stuffed with caprino (soft goat cheese)
    tuna fish tartare
    Branzino with crunch potatoes
    Grilled bufalo steak!!!! if you found this eat it! you will be not disappointed!
    We recently tried their mixed grilled fish plate and it was a huge portion and all delicious!

• painterdave's Profile Photo

La Giudecca: Beef On The Barbie!

by painterdave Written Jul 26, 2012
    Owner Does The Barbecue

La Giudecca is located in Vigonovo-Stra which is a suburb of Padova in the direction of Venezia. The specialties are Venetian, but also feature carne all brace, and pizza from a wood oven.
    This place is a bit out of the way, but if you are going to Venice by car, might be a good choice for dinner. The prices certainly are not as high as you would find in Venice.
    Inside one will find a cozy setting at two levels, all around the fireplace where they cook the food as you watch. See photos...
    Their choice of salamis as an appetizer was quite nice.
    Service excellent, bathrooms clean and the tables had lots of room between them.

Favorite Dish: We had steak fixed in the Florentine manner, which is a thick cut of beef, T-bone cut.
    I asked for al sangue, which is rare, and they did not overcook it. This overcooking happens often in the north. They seem to like meat cooked well done.

The house red wine is a good selection if you are not looking for a heavy Tuscan style wine.

McDonald's: Burgers and A Bathroom

by painterdave Written Jul 25, 2012

Right across the street from the south entrance of the train station is McDonald's. People crowd into McDonald's knowing they can get some cheap food and use the bathroom for free. The train station charges for its bathroom.
    The furnishings in this McDonald's are quite new and kept almost as clean as franchises in America. I think that the inspection of these restaurants in Italy is a bit lax, however. The burgers sit for some time and get cold, the fries can be cold and always have way too much salt. If you only want a cheeseburger or hamburger, ask for one from the back, these being the most recently cooked ones. I have seen people using computers there, so I think there is wifi availability.
    The tram stops just in front of McDonald's and the bus area is also close. If you are using a Sita bus that goes out of the city, this area is two minutes further down.
    I don't recommend this McDonald's but I know that many people use it, so I have written it up.
    The photo is a map of the area for you to use.
    There is no children play area here.

Favorite Dish: They have a coffee bar, the usual ice cream items and the more expensive burgers.
    Padova is comparable to other Italian cities, you will not find any burger places, except mostly McDonald's and an occasional Burger King.
    There is a Burger King in Padova, but it is on the highway to Milano. Look for the rest stop that has a walkway across the highway, and it is on the north side.

Instant Answers: Padova

Comments

Padova Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Padova restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Padova sightseeing.