Built in 1218 by the Commune and raised in 1306, a work, by Fra' Giovanni degli Eremitani, who added the loggias and the magnificent keel-shaped roof, it was the seat of the City Courts. The upper floor is occupied by a single hall (81 x 27 m.; 27 m. high), one of the largest hanging halls in the world, called the Salone.
The walls are entirely frescoed with astrological and religious subjects. The original decoration, traditionally attributed to Giotto and to his school, was destroyed in a fire in 1420 and remade by Nicolo' Miretto and Stefano da Ferrara (1425-1440).
The hall keeps a huge wooden horse, which was built for a joust in 1466..
Frescoes painted in 1420-25 by Nicola Miretto cover the walls of the main hall: the 333 panels depict the months of the year, with gods, signs of the zodiac and seasonal activities. A large statue of a horse stands at one end of the hall. Its a 1466 copy of the horse of the Gattamelata statue by Donatello that stands outside the Basilica of St Anthony.
Open: 9am-7pm Tue-Sun (Nov-Feb: to 6pm).
The "Palace of Reason" is also known as the Salone and stands in the middle of Padua. It was built between 1172 and 1218 to serve as Padua's law court and council chamber. The beautiful vast hall was originally decorated with frescoes by Giotto, but fire destroyed his work in 1420. The building is breathtaking in its sheer size. Its the largest undivided medieval hall in Europe measuring 80m (260ft) long, 27m (90ft) wide and 27m (90ft) high.
This beautiful palace (reminiscent of the one in Verona) was the seat of the city courts. It was built in 1218 and its upper floor is occupied by a single hall (81 x 27 m.; 27 m. high), one of the largest hanging halls in the world, called the Salone. The Salone sits proudly between the two bustling market sqaures of Padova - Erbe and Frutta squares.
It was late afternoon when I took this pic though and the markets were finished for the day.
The 'Palazzo della Ragione' (The region’s Palace).
This building has its origins in 1218, when the city of Padua constructed it because it needed a building for its court. In 1306 a new floor, the arcade and the ceiling were added. Unluckily the original decoration of the building (by Giotto) was destroyed in a fire in 1420.