Padova Transportation

Paulien and Cyrille in Padua.
    by Jerelis

Most Recent Transportation in Padova

• painterdave's Profile Photo

On the local bus

by painterdave Updated Nov 25, 2013

don't forget to look up sometimes

Get bus tickets at Tobacchi shops or in front of the train station there is a small building with two windows where they sell tickets, single-double or monthly if you have the correct documents. You can also get a bus map, called a piantina or cartina or mappa...
    I just want to point out to tourists and visitors that the bus tickets are two sided. So don't throw away your ticket before you check the other side because you will probably have two rides availalble on this ticket.
    The tram can also be used with the same bus tickets. You get a little over an hour to complete your direction. The time will be stamped on the ticket by the yellow machine on the bus or tram.
    Knowing this can be very handy and save you some money.

Don't ride for free, they have groups of men who catch people trying this roaming throughout Padova.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Travelling with (young) kids.

by Jerelis Written Oct 8, 2013
    Paulien and Cyrille in Padua.

Are you nervous about taking your baby or child on a plane trip? You aren't alone, most parents are nervous about it. We have moved with Iris to Callantsoog by car this holiday and drove some distances by car on when we were there and we learned a few things that hopefully will help you.

General:
    Bring books, old favourite toys and new surprise toys. Do remember that balls are not a good idea as they can end up anywhere! Our best buys were definitely books, especially sticker books are great! They can peel the stickers off, are glossy, have thick pages to turn easy, have bright colours and come in endless subjects. They're a nice break from the other books your child might be tired of, too. Put aside fears of setting poor eating habits, and bring on the snacks! We told Iris: “Welcome to the world of boredom eating."

Car:
    Toy bars meant for stroller use are a big help in the car, as they often feature toys plus a snack cup, and are big and easy for you to grab from the front seat for refills. During the car trip it’s always a good idea to play a game and sing some songs. It sounds rather easy, but it does work!

Finally:
    We only have one last statement! Just do it! Don’t be afraid that it might go wrong. We have learned this, because we have been travelling with Iris from the beginning. She was only 6 weeks young when we had our first short vacation and stayed in a hotel. Iris has been used to it rather fast and (maybe because of it) has always been an easy kid to get along with.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Hop On and Off Again Bus

by TooTallFinn24 Updated Aug 3, 2013

On Again Off Again Bus at the Basilica

Hop off and on again buses are a great way of seeing all the major sites of some cities. With a open second deck you can get some good views of most towns. The bus in Padua stops at eleven different locations around town. However in Padova the main tourist attractions are a pretty short distance from each other. With frequent buses and trams available the hop on and off again bus at 12.50 a day becomes a not very good bargain. At to the fact that there are only pickups every sixty minutes it doesn't make for a very good bargain. That may explain the fact that when I saw the bus at the Basilica there was barely anyone getting on or off the bus. It makes it runs around town from 1030 am to 1800 from March to October.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Tram: Convinient Means To Hit the Sites

by TooTallFinn24 Written Jul 21, 2013
    Padova Tram

Walk out the front door and cross the street bearing slightly left and you will run into the track of the Padova Tram run by AP Mobilita. Initiated in 2007 the tram has not only become a great way for tourists to move north from the station south in the City to get to the major tourist sites but is also wildely used by locals. With trams running every eight minutes and fares at 1.20 euros it is a hit for those not wanting to walk around town.

Tickets are not sold on the train but are sold on a booth a few yards from the station. You can purchase tickets in lots up to 10 or purchase a daily pass. The ticket is good for 75 minutes. I only used the tram once because I was enjoying walking Padova so much. However the one time I did use it which was in mid morning I found it completely packed.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Take the tram!

by Mikebond Updated Jul 4, 2013

tram in Prato della Valle

The first line of a planned three-line tram network was inaugurated in Padova in 2007. The line runs from the Northern to the southern suburbs of the city and is very useful for tourists, since it stops at the railway station, at the Eremitani (convent and Cappella degli Scrovegni with Giotto's frescoes), at the Basilica del Santo (Saint Anthony basilica) and at Prato della Valle, the main square of Padova and one of the largest in Europe.
    The website of the tram contains many information, but it is only in Italian. However, this page may be useful, as it shows the traject of the line. At this other page you find the timetables for workdays first, Sundays and holidays next.
    The ticket is the same as for buses and is valid 75 minutes. You can buy a 9-ticket booklet for 10 euro.

Bus from Treviso to Padova

by suvanki Written Jun 8, 2013
    Padova to Treviso Bus Stop

We flew into Treviso (Venice) airport from East Midlands airport with Ryanair.Less than £72 return, for us both (hand luggage only)! Looking at transfer buses to Padova, I realised that we'd be cutting it very fine to catch the 20.20 bus as our flight was due to land at 20.05. I understood that this was the last direct bus to Padova.
    I eventually found an alternative way - a night train left Treviso around 23.30 for Padova, meaning we'd get to our hotel well after midnight.

Well, luck was on our side - Our flight arrived just over 10 minutes early, and Phil and I were straight off the plane and through security. Checking at the bus company kiosk, we were informed that the bus to Padova was due in 1 minute, from the stop across the road. We purchased tickets (4 Euros each, one way) and hurried to the stop. Across the zebra/pedestrian crossing, the bus stop was just to the left, and there was a small group waiting. After a couple of minutes the Padova bus came into view. We boarded, validated our tickets, and settled into our seats for the journey (just over an hour) to Padova coach station. (which is to the side of the train station/bus station/taxi rank/ bike racks)

For our return journey, we caught the regular SITA service, Treviso bus across the road from our hotel (NH Mantegne). This hotel was a 10 minute walk from the bus/train station. We had purchased our tickets from the nearby Tobacchi earlier.
    Again, we validated these on board.

Opposite the airport is a 'left luggage service' for 5 Euro per day (pic 3) and a pleasant bar (pic 4), where we enjoyed a relaxing drink (The airport is quite small, so this was a pleasant alternative, as we'd arrived in plenty of time

• School Holidays

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Bus connection with Venice and Treviso airport

by oriettaIT Written Jul 11, 2012

Padova is well connected to most of the Airport of the area by bus.

Venice airpor Marco Polo
    Sita bus has a direct line, from the airport to Padova bus station, the ticket cost 8 euros each way (10 € if purchased from the driver), baggage is included.
    Timetable are available HERE
    Select Venezia Aeroporto in one side, Padova autostazione in the other, mark "intera giornata" to have the complete timetable.

Treviso airport
    La Marca bus has a direct line, from the airport to Padova bus station, the ticket cost 6 euros one way about 10€ roundtrip. Buying it from the driver will have a little surcharge.
    Timetable are available HERE
    Select the line Treviso-Noale-Padova "estivo" for summer timetable, "invernale" for winter timetable.

Train from Bergamo to Padova

by suvanki Written Feb 24, 2012

Our train from Bergamo to Treviglio

Following our weekend in Bergamo to 'launch' EurMeet 2012, Gilly and I stopped off in Padova, before heading to Venice for our flights home.

We purchased our ticket from the ticket office (we could have used the ticket machine instead)
    and went to the platform to wait for the train to Treviglio, where we would change for the train to Padova.
    There was a short wait for our next train, which gave me chance to grab a drink from one of the many vending machines that are located on the platforms of train stations.

I really enjoy travelling by train, and especially in Italy, where the fares are cheap, the trains are on time and are clean and comfortable.

You also get to see some of the countryside, especially from the windows of the 'double decker' trains.

Fares vary depending on the type of train/ journey - Express or ones that stop at every village and lamp post. They can be purchased in advance on line, or in person at the ticket office.

Whichever ticket you purchase, you must validate it prior to boarding. Machines are located in the ticket office and at the entrance to the platforms.
    Hefty fines are imposed for non-validated tickets.

On arrival at Padova train station, there is a TI office in the forecourt outside, where you can purchase tickets for the tram, buses etc. There is also a taxi rank, oh, and a bicycle rental office.

• ScarletCake's Profile Photo

Bicycle - the best way to get around

by ScarletCake Written Nov 8, 2011

"You mean... you walked here? What happened to your bike?"

I'd only been in Padova for a few days before the constant questioning of the whereabouts of my bicycle made it dawn on me that this truly is the way to get around. And now that I finally have transport, I'm never going back! There is something wonderful about rolling through the markets in the morning and returning home with the wind on your face and a basket full of fresh produce. Even the nannas take part.

Even for a short visit, I would recommend finding (renting? temporarily buying?) a bike. It gives you the chance to see Padova as the locals see it.

A warning, however: the biggest crime here seems to be bike theft. Get a security chain you think Houdini couldn't crack. Otherwise you may be walking your market goodies to the bus stop.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Train

by antistar Updated Jan 9, 2011

Padova is a major rail hub. It's easily reached from Venice on a day trip in about 30-40 minutes, but there are direct express trains running from Padova to many of the big Italian cities, like Rome, Milan, Florence, as well as the ferry port of Bari. Local trains, especially to Bologna, are obviously well served.

The station is about a kilometer outside of the old centre.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Shuttle from and to the airports

by oriettaIT Written Sep 24, 2009

I live in Padova and when I have to fly from Venice I usually use a shuttle bus called Airservice that pick me up at home (but work also with every other town address) and take you to the airport and back.
    It cost 28 euros each person each trip and I found it convenient if you have lots of luggage and dont want to bother with a long and multichange bus/train ride. Also better than leave my car to the Venice airport's parking lot that is awfully expensive.
    The service is provided by Taxy Padova and the rate is fixed so you wont have surprise when it comes the time to pay the bill. I think they take also credit card.
    It is required to book it ahead of time, they will wait you at the arrival area (probably near the exit door) holding a sign with your name (tell them to do this when you book). They usually drive a white twelve seats van with Airservice wrote on the side.

Recently they started to serve also all the other Northern Italy's airports like Treviso, Verona, Bologna, Bergamo and Milano, look at their site for all the rates.

Taxis -

Taxi rank train/bus station Padova

I travelled by taxi twice during my visit to Padova. Once on arriving- from the train station to my hotel, and once at night from Plazza Garibaldi to my hotel, as I had to be back before midnight - (just call me Cinderella!)

There are taxi ranks around Padova, and there was a poster in Plazza Garibaldi with a telephone number to call a taxi - However, I wasn't sure if my very limited Italian would be understood. I needn't have worried as a taxi drew up within a few minutes.

The taxis are metered. Both times my fare came to just over 11 euros for a 5 minute ride. I thought this was quite expensive, but it was convenient.

I thought that is was expensive the first time because I had a suitcase, but perhaps not - I'm never sure of the 'hidden extras' that are charged by taxi companies, such as extra bags, certain days/times, being called, if there's a Friday in the week!!!

A bus ticket costs 1 euro for 70 minutes, or with the Padova card bus travel is unlimited for 48 hours.

• Seniors
    • Singles

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Train to Peschiera (Lake Garda)

Peschiera Train Station

After spending 2 nights in Padua (and still not seeing everything), my next destination was Lake Garda.

Regular trains leave from Padua to Pesciera and Desenzano- the 2 train stations on the Southern end of the Lake.

My ticket cost 11 euros (Tariffa Standard). It took me a while to realise that this was for a numbered seat in a carriage with six seats. (Prices vary for different types of train and seat etc) After much wobbling up and down the moving train with my case, I eventually located my carriage.

The other seats were all occupied, and there wasn't room for my case, which I had to leave in the narrow carriage.

The journey gave me a chance to relax and watch the countryside as we whizzed by (and also to spend my journey with local people - including 2 men who were so busy playing cards, that they nearly missed their stop!).

Outside the train station at Peschiera is a bus stop, where I caught a bus to Brenzone. The bus travels along the lake, stopping at the many towns and villages.

You purchase Your ticket from the bus driver.

After spending 4 nights on Lake Garda, I returned to Peschiera station and caught a train back to Venice St Lucia station which cost 7.60 euros - this time I had a choice of where to sit, on the train - there were plenty of seats to choose from!.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Train from Venice (Mestre)

Padua Train Station

I caught a train from Mestre ( Venice) to Padua. There are regular trains to and from this fascinating city.

Prices can vary according to the type of train that you're travelling on.

I took pot luck, and just turned up at the ticket office. I was very surprised to find my ticket was just 2.20 Euros! (Yes, Italy has the cheapest train fares in Europe- Unlike the UK, which has the most expensive!)

There are 'saver tickets' if You're intending on using the train for more than one journey.

The journey took just over 20 minutes.

From the outskirts, Padua doesn't reveal much of its treasures, but a few steps from the station You can see some of its interesting buildings.

In front of the station is a taxi rank and bus station for local buses. You can also rent bikes (Padua is a city where bikes are a very popular form of transport!)

Near the train station is a tourist Info office - I didn't visit this one, but found the small TI office opposite St Antonio Basillica to be very helpful (I purchased my Padua card -which I used quite a lot, and my ticket for the Scroveni Chapel from here).

Hop on Hop Off Padua Tour Bus

Padua Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

I've used this company before in Granada, Marrakesh, Valencia and Madrid

I find it a useful way to learn about the city, get my bearings, and use it to get around.

Forget Your 'I'm not a tourist' ideals, and jump aboard - it's a good way to see the city from the top deck. (or you can sit indoors downstairs)
    You get closer to the buildings, and see things that You'd miss from street level.

It's fun sharing the experience/chatting with fellow passengers (tourists/ travellers) from other countries too!

Usually Your ticket entitles You to 24 hours use.

With the Padua card (14 Euros) the Hop On Hop Off ticket can be purchased for 6 euros instead of 12 euros and is valid for 48 hours instead of 24 hours! - please see my Things to do tips for more info on this valuable card

The Padua card can be bought from the Tourist Info office opposite Basilico St Antonio, at the train station or next to Caffe Pedrocchi.

Hop on Hop Off tickets can be bought at the nearby departure point, from the driver en route, Selected hotels and travel agencies

Your ticket price includes a map and headphones for the recorded info in 7 languages.

Line A operates daily March to October.

It leaves opposite Basilica di St Antonio 09.50, 11.00, 12.00, 14.45,1600,1700 and 1800. and its route covers Plazza della Erbe, Pz dei Signori, Pz Garibaldi, Pz I Nievo, Portello, Pz Eremitani, Pz Stazione, Pz Petrarca, Riviera Paleocopa and Prato de Ville.

I used this route quite a bit - initially doing the full circuit, to get my bearings, and learn about the cities history and places of interest, then later to get to places such as the Scroveni chapel and the train station.

Line B covers Montegrotto Terme and Abano Terme the ticket is valid for 6 hours. I didn't use this route

Save your ticket, because You can get 10% discount off other city sightseeing buses world wide.

Milan, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorrento, Messina and Palerma are the other Italian cities offering the tourbus service (2007)

Instant Answers: Padova

Comments

Padova Transportation

Reviews and photos of Padova transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Padova sightseeing.