Padova Transportation

Paulien and Cyrille in Padua.
    by Jerelis
    On Again Off Again Bus at the Basilica
    by TooTallFinn24
    Padova Tram
    by TooTallFinn24

Best Rated Transportation in Padova

Hop on Hop Off Padua Tour Bus

I've used this company before in Granada, Marrakesh, Valencia and Madrid

I find it a useful way to learn about the city, get my bearings, and use it to get around.

Forget Your 'I'm not a tourist' ideals, and jump aboard - it's a good way to see the city from the top deck. (or you can sit indoors downstairs)
    You get closer to the buildings, and see things that You'd miss from street level.

It's fun sharing the experience/chatting with fellow passengers (tourists/ travellers) from other countries too!

Usually Your ticket entitles You to 24 hours use.

With the Padua card (14 Euros) the Hop On Hop Off ticket can be purchased for 6 euros instead of 12 euros and is valid for 48 hours instead of 24 hours! - please see my Things to do tips for more info on this valuable card

The Padua card can be bought from the Tourist Info office opposite Basilico St Antonio, at the train station or next to Caffe Pedrocchi.

Hop on Hop Off tickets can be bought at the nearby departure point, from the driver en route, Selected hotels and travel agencies

Your ticket price includes a map and headphones for the recorded info in 7 languages.

Line A operates daily March to October.

It leaves opposite Basilica di St Antonio 09.50, 11.00, 12.00, 14.45,1600,1700 and 1800. and its route covers Plazza della Erbe, Pz dei Signori, Pz Garibaldi, Pz I Nievo, Portello, Pz Eremitani, Pz Stazione, Pz Petrarca, Riviera Paleocopa and Prato de Ville.

I used this route quite a bit - initially doing the full circuit, to get my bearings, and learn about the cities history and places of interest, then later to get to places such as the Scroveni chapel and the train station.

Line B covers Montegrotto Terme and Abano Terme the ticket is valid for 6 hours. I didn't use this route

Save your ticket, because You can get 10% discount off other city sightseeing buses world wide.

Milan, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Naples, Sorrento, Messina and Palerma are the other Italian cities offering the tourbus service (2007)

Padua Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Train from Venice (Mestre)

by suvanki Updated Feb 20, 2009

I caught a train from Mestre ( Venice) to Padua. There are regular trains to and from this fascinating city.

Prices can vary according to the type of train that you're travelling on.

I took pot luck, and just turned up at the ticket office. I was very surprised to find my ticket was just 2.20 Euros! (Yes, Italy has the cheapest train fares in Europe- Unlike the UK, which has the most expensive!)

There are 'saver tickets' if You're intending on using the train for more than one journey.

The journey took just over 20 minutes.

From the outskirts, Padua doesn't reveal much of its treasures, but a few steps from the station You can see some of its interesting buildings.

In front of the station is a taxi rank and bus station for local buses. You can also rent bikes (Padua is a city where bikes are a very popular form of transport!)

Near the train station is a tourist Info office - I didn't visit this one, but found the small TI office opposite St Antonio Basillica to be very helpful (I purchased my Padua card -which I used quite a lot, and my ticket for the Scroveni Chapel from here).

Padua Train Station

My favourite cars...

by mapakettle Updated Feb 6, 2005

I have no need of a vehicle in Padova. Bus service is great, and my legs are even better. No need to pay for parking, no more Visa bills, no disappointment when the garage hasn't finished the oil change.

BUT, if I were to buy a car, I think either of the cars in the picture would be nifty...The Black and silver one is called a Smart Car, made by Mercedes, the Yellow one is an older version of a Fiat 500. These things sound like a sewing machine, but zip around just as easily.

Parking is a snap, so often, rather than parallel park, the driver goes nose first, and parks sideways. They are no longer than the width of a conventional vehicle.

Smart car on left, Fiat 500 on right

Bus is Us

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 6, 2008

The buses are frequent and take you to all places in the city, and even connect to all the suburbs and even farther out for miles to satellite towns in the province. Servie is good and on time. the tickets are .75 Euro for a 1 hour time slot. Therefor, if you want to see sites, you need two, or more for the day. Purchases can be made at edicola, and tabbaci and other places, like information center?

Bus tickets

Treno

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 6, 2008

The train station is convenient access to many short trips in the area. We took in into Venice, and well worth the comparison of driving into that city. The busses all drop you off right at the train station which is close to Erimitani. The problem is that train link comes from Bologna and can be very late due to delays along the line. We went two days to Venice and the trains were late 1/2 hour to 1 hour coming and going. Must have been some bad days? I ws told by locals get used to it, it happens all the time. The cars are clean but can get crowded also.
    The tickets need to get stamped both ways. We forgot to get a stamp leaving Venice one day. The cost was 50 Euro, and that was half price of the normal fine. Even though we showed the ticket was stamped for getting into Venice, proving we wer going out the same day, they wanted the money for the fine. BE aware.

Ticket sample

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

TAKE A BUS TOUR

by BerniShand Written Sep 15, 2005

if you dont have long in Padova, if you would like an overview of the city, or if like me you have sore feet then a tour on the open topped bus is nice to do on a sunny day
    you can get off and see the sights and catch a later bus, or just sit and relax for 50 minutes as your bus winds its way through Padovas lovely buildings

there is a commentary [earphones are provided] in 7 languages which was a little confusing at times for us, but would have been clearer if we had picked up a leaflet before jumping on the bus

save your ticket as you will get a 10% discount on your next city sightseeing tour in many other cities around the world

Padova tours start from Basilica del Santo at 9.50am and run throughout the day with a break for lunch, check the website for more details
    our tour cost 7euro each

Basilica del Santo Prato della Valle piazze dela erbe capella degli scrovegni
    • Seniors

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

TRAINS

by BerniShand Written Sep 17, 2005

Padova is a great place to stay if you are visiting Venice
    its only 30 maximum by train to Santa Lucia station on the Grand Canal, and a daily return ticket costs only 5 euro, but beware DONT do as we did once and get on the Eurostar train !!! we had to pay an extra 8 euros one way, look at the departure boards in the station, if there is a red sign next to the destination this means it is the Eurostar train, instead wait for the local one, they leave every 30 minutes or so

as with all train journeys in Italy always validate your ticket in the yellow machines BEFORE you board the train

it will be here soon

Sky Service...airport limo

by mapakettle Updated Sep 18, 2005

Sky Service is a very convenient method of transport from the airport to your hotel. When arriving at the Venice airport for example, the driver of the van will hold a white sign with a prearranged name written on it, and will stand just outside the luggage pick-up area.

A great service because it takes you directly from the airport, to your hotel entrance. Very little handling of luggage, no dragging suitcases on and off station platforms or running to catch a train or bus, and then trying to find your hotel once you arrive in Padova.

Cost for two people from Venice to Padova, is 43 euro. Door to door. Pre-book your pickup, and Visa cards are accepted as well as cash. Suggest you confirm the trip cost with the driver prior to boarding the van, if for no other reason except to ease your mind.

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

Train from Bergamo to Padova

by suvanki Written Feb 24, 2012

Following our weekend in Bergamo to 'launch' EurMeet 2012, Gilly and I stopped off in Padova, before heading to Venice for our flights home.

We purchased our ticket from the ticket office (we could have used the ticket machine instead)
    and went to the platform to wait for the train to Treviglio, where we would change for the train to Padova.
    There was a short wait for our next train, which gave me chance to grab a drink from one of the many vending machines that are located on the platforms of train stations.

I really enjoy travelling by train, and especially in Italy, where the fares are cheap, the trains are on time and are clean and comfortable.

You also get to see some of the countryside, especially from the windows of the 'double decker' trains.

Fares vary depending on the type of train/ journey - Express or ones that stop at every village and lamp post. They can be purchased in advance on line, or in person at the ticket office.

Whichever ticket you purchase, you must validate it prior to boarding. Machines are located in the ticket office and at the entrance to the platforms.
    Hefty fines are imposed for non-validated tickets.

On arrival at Padova train station, there is a TI office in the forecourt outside, where you can purchase tickets for the tram, buses etc. There is also a taxi rank, oh, and a bicycle rental office.

Our train from Bergamo to Treviglio Treviglio station Our train Treviglio to Padova What you doing down there Gilly? Not like our cramped trains!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Bus connections to the province

by Mikebond Updated Feb 8, 2009

Padova disposes of a wide bus network within the city. Many bus lines leave from the railway station: buses number 3, 12, 18, as well as the tram, take you to Saint Anthony's basilica and the city centre.
    Many suburban buses connect Padova to every village of its province and beyond. Here you can find the timetables.

bus

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Train to Peschiera (Lake Garda)

by suvanki Updated Feb 20, 2009

After spending 2 nights in Padua (and still not seeing everything), my next destination was Lake Garda.

Regular trains leave from Padua to Pesciera and Desenzano- the 2 train stations on the Southern end of the Lake.

My ticket cost 11 euros (Tariffa Standard). It took me a while to realise that this was for a numbered seat in a carriage with six seats. (Prices vary for different types of train and seat etc) After much wobbling up and down the moving train with my case, I eventually located my carriage.

The other seats were all occupied, and there wasn't room for my case, which I had to leave in the narrow carriage.

The journey gave me a chance to relax and watch the countryside as we whizzed by (and also to spend my journey with local people - including 2 men who were so busy playing cards, that they nearly missed their stop!).

Outside the train station at Peschiera is a bus stop, where I caught a bus to Brenzone. The bus travels along the lake, stopping at the many towns and villages.

You purchase Your ticket from the bus driver.

After spending 4 nights on Lake Garda, I returned to Peschiera station and caught a train back to Venice St Lucia station which cost 7.60 euros - this time I had a choice of where to sit, on the train - there were plenty of seats to choose from!.

Peschiera Train Station Padua train station

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

By train

by Mikebond Written Jun 3, 2008

It is very easy to get to Padova by train and the heavy traffic in the city centre is another reason why you should opt for the rail.
    All trains from Venezia to Milano (and further on, to Switzerland and France) and to the South of Italia (Roma, Napoli, Palermo, Bari...) stop at the Padova station, which is also served by many regional trains. You can find a connection between Padova and Venezia approximetely every 30 minutes. There are direct regional trains to Venezia, Vicenza, Verona, Bassano del Grappa, Rovigo (and further to Ferrara and Bologna), Belluno and the Dolomites.
    The interior areas of the station are being fully refurbished.
    When you go out of the station, there are many platforms where many bus line stop. There is an electronic panel telling you what buses are going to leave from the station and how long you have to wait.

Padova station

• mapakettle's Profile Photo

Need a travel agent for Italy?

by mapakettle Updated May 9, 2006

Ma and I spend a couple of days getting the run around regarding train tickets from Paris to London, because no one seemed to sell them, including Trenitalia. We were bounced from one agency to another until we finally heard about Viaggi Su Misura.

The agency is located directly across from the recently constructed tribute to the 911 tragedy, (The Tower of Light), just moments from the statue of Garibaldi located near the Scrovegni Chapel. Easy access from the train station, simply walk out the main exit of the train station, locate Corso dei Popolo, walk about 10 minutes, and as you cross the bridge, and you'll see the Tower of Light on your right. The Travel agency is just across the street.

Upon entering, we were immediately welcomed by Sabina Tognon, a striking look-a-like to our own VT member Katmosphere. Same curley red hair, same smile, the same easy going manner. She speaks ENGLISH, and has a great sense of humour. Both Ma Kettle and I felt very comfortable dealing with Sabina. She is knowledgeable, and will give her honest opinion without being pushy.

She was a great find for us dumb Canucks. I'm so sorry we found her so late in our visit to Padova, but for those visiting Venice, and need further travel connections, she will be invaluable to you.

Viaggi Su Misura
    Via Giotto, 5 - 1-35137 Padova

ask for Sabina Tognon, tell her the Canadian couple from VT sent you (Maria and Dave). If she looks puzzled, tell her I was the hubby who kept taking photos and couldn't learn Italian. If she still looks doubtful, go elsewhere. LOL.

For European Rail schedules, plus International Rail Service (including Canada), click on their website for comprehensive travel info, then go to ....Turismo ... then to ... Servizio treni. Great sites all on one page (in English).

Be aware that they close Wednesday and Saturday afternoons, and Sundays. Expect lunch hour closure, but are open until 7pm.

Sabina holding Katsmosphere's photo Tower of Light immediately across the street with your back to the monument, there it is store front on Via Giotto more Sabina
    • Business Travel

SIRI rail

by BruceDunning Updated Jun 6, 2008

It is a electric car that only goes form Prato delle Valle to the train station. They leave every 1/2 hour and only go down one line to get to the destination points. Price is the same as a bus, .75 Euro

Literature on the SIRI

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

getting there by train

by call_me_rhia Written May 8, 2003

Padova is on the main train line between Milano and Venezia. from Milano it takes about 2.30 hours and trains leave more or less every hour. From Venezia Mestre to Padova it's only 30 minutes - so maybe it's a good idea to stay overnight in Padova (it's much cheaper) and then commute to Venezia to sightsee

an italian train

Instant Answers: Padova

Comments

Padova Transportation

Reviews and photos of Padova transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Padova sightseeing.