Padova Transportation

Paulien and Cyrille in Padua.
    by Jerelis

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Taxis -

by suvanki Updated Feb 20, 2009

Taxi rank train/bus station Padova

I travelled by taxi twice during my visit to Padova. Once on arriving- from the train station to my hotel, and once at night from Plazza Garibaldi to my hotel, as I had to be back before midnight - (just call me Cinderella!)

There are taxi ranks around Padova, and there was a poster in Plazza Garibaldi with a telephone number to call a taxi - However, I wasn't sure if my very limited Italian would be understood. I needn't have worried as a taxi drew up within a few minutes.

The taxis are metered. Both times my fare came to just over 11 euros for a 5 minute ride. I thought this was quite expensive, but it was convenient.

I thought that is was expensive the first time because I had a suitcase, but perhaps not - I'm never sure of the 'hidden extras' that are charged by taxi companies, such as extra bags, certain days/times, being called, if there's a Friday in the week!!!

A bus ticket costs 1 euro for 70 minutes, or with the Padova card bus travel is unlimited for 48 hours.

• Seniors
    • Singles

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Hop On and Off Again Bus

by TooTallFinn24 Updated Aug 3, 2013

On Again Off Again Bus at the Basilica

Hop off and on again buses are a great way of seeing all the major sites of some cities. With a open second deck you can get some good views of most towns. The bus in Padua stops at eleven different locations around town. However in Padova the main tourist attractions are a pretty short distance from each other. With frequent buses and trams available the hop on and off again bus at 12.50 a day becomes a not very good bargain. At to the fact that there are only pickups every sixty minutes it doesn't make for a very good bargain. That may explain the fact that when I saw the bus at the Basilica there was barely anyone getting on or off the bus. It makes it runs around town from 1030 am to 1800 from March to October.

• antistar's Profile Photo

Train

by antistar Updated Jan 9, 2011

Padova is a major rail hub. It's easily reached from Venice on a day trip in about 30-40 minutes, but there are direct express trains running from Padova to many of the big Italian cities, like Rome, Milan, Florence, as well as the ferry port of Bari. Local trains, especially to Bologna, are obviously well served.

The station is about a kilometer outside of the old centre.

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Bus connection with Venice and Treviso airport

by oriettaIT Written Jul 11, 2012

Padova is well connected to most of the Airport of the area by bus.

Venice airpor Marco Polo
    Sita bus has a direct line, from the airport to Padova bus station, the ticket cost 8 euros each way (10 € if purchased from the driver), baggage is included.
    Timetable are available HERE
    Select Venezia Aeroporto in one side, Padova autostazione in the other, mark "intera giornata" to have the complete timetable.

Treviso airport
    La Marca bus has a direct line, from the airport to Padova bus station, the ticket cost 6 euros one way about 10€ roundtrip. Buying it from the driver will have a little surcharge.
    Timetable are available HERE
    Select the line Treviso-Noale-Padova "estivo" for summer timetable, "invernale" for winter timetable.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo

Beware of seat cushions on public transport

by mapakettle Updated Feb 18, 2005

seats on bus or train

Ma Kettle and I use public transport a lot, which includes local bus service, Trains, and Sita Bus services which travel from town to town.

For the most part, these modes of transportation are great throughout Italy. However today, I sat on a seat cushion on which some unfortunate soul had had an accident, and I ended up with a very powerful smell of urine on my jeans.

I'm hoping it occurred on the final leg of my journey...

Never again will I travel without a plastic bag which I will lay upon the cushion prior to sitting. This was the first time this has ever happened to me, but I shudder to think if it had happened on the start of a three or four day trek.

• Trains

• BerniShand's Profile Photo

TAXI

by BerniShand Written Oct 21, 2005

If you arrive in Padova by bus and you are unsure how to get to your accommodation you may do as we did and decide to take a taxi

there is a taxi rank at the bus station [Piazzle Boschetti] we were delighted to see there was a taxi in it, but there was no driver, and you cannot hail taxis in the street here
    we hovered hopefully waiting for him to finish whatever he was doing but no one appeared, so we went and bought a map and puzzled over it for a while, the owner of the kiosk gave us a telephone number for a taxi firn, and I rang and asked in my halting Italian for one to take us to the Al Cason,
    I understood a taxi was being sent to pick us up, but I had a problem with when - was that two minutes, or twelve minutes before it would arrive ? I could not ask, the lady had rung off with a busy caio ! Padova is not a large city, surely it will be two minutes

ok so five minutes pass and we decide it must have been twelve minutes

after fifteen minutes we worry it is not coming, but at exactly twenty minutes it arrives [note to self; learn the number translations more thoroughly

next time we will follow Pakettles suggestion, go into a bar for a much needed drink, and ask the barman to call us a taxi
    the number for taxis in Padova is below

• dedeckerm.'s Profile Photo

A good idea if you want to...

by dedeckerm. Updated Aug 26, 2002

A good idea if you want to visit Padua is to buy a 'Biglietto Unico' (one Ticket), valid at most of the museums in Padua and good for one year. There’s also a ticket for the monuments and museums in the province. You can buy both of them at all the monuments and museums that they give access to and at the tourist offices.

• Clarus's Profile Photo

The best way to get to Padova...

by Clarus Written Aug 25, 2002

The best way to get to Padova is either by Train from Venice, Verona or Milan (best using the intercity IC) or else by bus.
    The best way to see Padova is definately on foot. In one or two days one can certainly see the most important monuments and piazzas and basilicas in the city. Also, by walking one always tends to savour the atmosphere of a place better.

• dimrux's Profile Photo

To arrive to the city, u can...

by dimrux Updated Aug 24, 2002

To arrive to the city, u can use any kind of transport it has good accesses.
    The best way to get around is by public transport or on foot to prebent the environement and enjoy more with the atmosphere of Padova

• Driving our car in old town...

by ponytrax Written Aug 24, 2002

Driving our car in old town Padova wasn't the easiest
    because of their narrow streets. However, from our
    Hotel we could walk a couple miles and be at the train
    station. From there you can take a nice 40 minute train
    ride to Venice and not have to worry about the driving.
    I would suggest anyone wanting to go to Venice, to stay
    in Padova. More reasonable rates, not so touristy and
    Padova is a beautiful city.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Bus from Treviso to Padova

by suvanki Written Jun 8, 2013
    Padova to Treviso Bus Stop

We flew into Treviso (Venice) airport from East Midlands airport with Ryanair.Less than £72 return, for us both (hand luggage only)! Looking at transfer buses to Padova, I realised that we'd be cutting it very fine to catch the 20.20 bus as our flight was due to land at 20.05. I understood that this was the last direct bus to Padova.
    I eventually found an alternative way - a night train left Treviso around 23.30 for Padova, meaning we'd get to our hotel well after midnight.

Well, luck was on our side - Our flight arrived just over 10 minutes early, and Phil and I were straight off the plane and through security. Checking at the bus company kiosk, we were informed that the bus to Padova was due in 1 minute, from the stop across the road. We purchased tickets (4 Euros each, one way) and hurried to the stop. Across the zebra/pedestrian crossing, the bus stop was just to the left, and there was a small group waiting. After a couple of minutes the Padova bus came into view. We boarded, validated our tickets, and settled into our seats for the journey (just over an hour) to Padova coach station. (which is to the side of the train station/bus station/taxi rank/ bike racks)

For our return journey, we caught the regular SITA service, Treviso bus across the road from our hotel (NH Mantegne). This hotel was a 10 minute walk from the bus/train station. We had purchased our tickets from the nearby Tobacchi earlier.
    Again, we validated these on board.

Opposite the airport is a 'left luggage service' for 5 Euro per day (pic 3) and a pleasant bar (pic 4), where we enjoyed a relaxing drink (The airport is quite small, so this was a pleasant alternative, as we'd arrived in plenty of time

• School Holidays

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Tram: Convinient Means To Hit the Sites

by TooTallFinn24 Written Jul 21, 2013
    Padova Tram

Walk out the front door and cross the street bearing slightly left and you will run into the track of the Padova Tram run by AP Mobilita. Initiated in 2007 the tram has not only become a great way for tourists to move north from the station south in the City to get to the major tourist sites but is also wildely used by locals. With trams running every eight minutes and fares at 1.20 euros it is a hit for those not wanting to walk around town.

Tickets are not sold on the train but are sold on a booth a few yards from the station. You can purchase tickets in lots up to 10 or purchase a daily pass. The ticket is good for 75 minutes. I only used the tram once because I was enjoying walking Padova so much. However the one time I did use it which was in mid morning I found it completely packed.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Travelling with (young) kids.

by Jerelis Written Oct 8, 2013
    Paulien and Cyrille in Padua.

Are you nervous about taking your baby or child on a plane trip? You aren't alone, most parents are nervous about it. We have moved with Iris to Callantsoog by car this holiday and drove some distances by car on when we were there and we learned a few things that hopefully will help you.

General:
    Bring books, old favourite toys and new surprise toys. Do remember that balls are not a good idea as they can end up anywhere! Our best buys were definitely books, especially sticker books are great! They can peel the stickers off, are glossy, have thick pages to turn easy, have bright colours and come in endless subjects. They're a nice break from the other books your child might be tired of, too. Put aside fears of setting poor eating habits, and bring on the snacks! We told Iris: “Welcome to the world of boredom eating."

Car:
    Toy bars meant for stroller use are a big help in the car, as they often feature toys plus a snack cup, and are big and easy for you to grab from the front seat for refills. During the car trip it’s always a good idea to play a game and sing some songs. It sounds rather easy, but it does work!

Finally:
    We only have one last statement! Just do it! Don’t be afraid that it might go wrong. We have learned this, because we have been travelling with Iris from the beginning. She was only 6 weeks young when we had our first short vacation and stayed in a hotel. Iris has been used to it rather fast and (maybe because of it) has always been an easy kid to get along with.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Train to mestre

by lotharscheer Written Jul 21, 2011
    Prato della Valle

There are very frequent trains to Venice Santa Lucia station, 3 Euro and 40 minutea by regional train, up to 20 Euros and 20 minutes by fast trains

• Castles and Palaces

Instant Answers: Padova

Comments

Padova Transportation

Reviews and photos of Padova transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Padova sightseeing.