Treviso Off The Beaten Path

  • Torre degli Oliva
    Torre degli Oliva
    by croisbeauty
  • Torre del Visdomino
    Torre del Visdomino
    by croisbeauty
  • Vila Volpi
    Vila Volpi
    by croisbeauty

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Treviso

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Torre del Visdomino

    by croisbeauty Updated Mar 12, 2014

    Torre del Visdomino, in Via Cornarotta, is the third of surviving medieval family towers which can be seen in Treviso. This tower is lower than the other two and has a very massive structure so that more resembles to a fortress. This tower is also known as Torre Cornarotta, after the eponymous family who were the owners of it. Later on, in the 16th century, the tower was purchased by family Burchiellati, whose successors still live in it.
    From 1909-1915 the famous Italian sculptor Arturo Martini had a studio in the tower.

    Torre del Visdomino Torre del Visdomino Torre del Visdomino
    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Torre dei Canonici + Torre degli Oliva

    by croisbeauty Updated Mar 12, 2014

    Beginning of the 13th century was a period when in many Italian cities sprang up high towers, built of several layers of bricks. Such towers were at the same time forts and houses in which resided rich and powerful urban families. In the Middle Ages it was emphasized strongly rivalry between powerful families that fought for supremacy. Within the city walls there were a number of small wars between fierce rivals. Lower and weaker grew towers have been destroyed in the ensuing of enemy clan. In the late Middle Ages, the towers have lost their strategic importance and many have been abandoned, or were destroyed during earthquakes.
    Torre degli Oliva is located in Via Paris Bordone and opposite to it stands Torre dei Canonici, overlooking Piazza Pola.

    Torre dei Canonici Torre dei Canonici two towers facing each other Torre degli Oliva
    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Vila Manfrin - Margherita

    by croisbeauty Updated Mar 11, 2014

    The Venetian Villa Manfrin is located in the suburbs of Treviso called Sant'Artemio. This villa, built in the neo-Classical style, is a typical aristocratic structure by which their owner is showing his political power and wealth.
    Villa was built between 1775 and 1783 for client Girolamo Manfrin and designed by the Venetian architect Giannantonio Selva. It is a spacious three-story building with elongated facade in which center is situated piano nobile. In front of the villa is beautiful park with a large fountain adorned by sculptures. The interior is decorated with valuable stucco paintings. The building is also called Villa Margherita, by the former owner of the English lady Margaret Lichtenberg. Around the villa there is a very large park, Parco Villa Margherita, which is open for public.
    Currently in villa is located military command of Carabinieri but at the end of this year (2014) the command is moving out.

    Vila Manfrin Villa Manfrin Villa Manfrin Villa Manfrin

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Parco Villa Margherita

    by croisbeauty Updated Mar 11, 2014

    Parco Villa Margherita is a favorite gathering place and picnic area for citizens of Treviso, especially in the spring and summer months. The park is located in the northern suburbs of Treviso, along a local road that leads to Conegliano. The park can be reached on foot or by car but locals prefer to go there on their bikes.
    Almost every weekend in the park are some events, performances, live concerts and gatherings. Performances and concerts are held in a mini theater (teatrino), and other events on a large open space in front of the so-called La Cedraia.

    Teatrino di Villa Margherita Teatrino di Villa Margherita Teatrino di Villa Margherita La Cedraia

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Villa Albrizzi - Franchetti

    by croisbeauty Updated Mar 11, 2014

    Between the 17th and 18th century the Albrizzi, wealthy merchants inscribed in the Golden Book of the Venetian aristocracy, built this villa which facing the access road to the nucleus of San Trovaso - Preganziol.
    The central building of the villa is akin to Venetian house, with no particular stylistic qualities. There are two large barns (barchessa) with colonnades placed symmetrically on the sides, designed at the end of the 17th century by architect Andrea Pagnossin, student of Longhin. The stucco and bass-reliefs of plaster inside the villa are by Canova.
    In the 19th century, thanks to the Isabella Teotochi, wife of Giovanni Battista Albrizzi, the villa became a sort of an academy and a place much frequented by artists and poets, including, Pindemonte, Foscolo, Byron, Monti and Canova.
    In 1873 the villa was purchased by the Barons Franchetti who enlarged and enriched the park. Today the villa is owned by the province of Treviso and is used as venue for prestigious conferences.

    Villa Albrizzi-Franchetti Villa Albrizzi-Franchetti Villa Albrizzi-Franchetti Villa Albrizzi-Franchetti Villa Albrizzi-Franchetti

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Barchesse di Villa Albrizzi

    by croisbeauty Updated Mar 11, 2014

    Barchessa (barn) is an farm service building typical in the architecture of the Venetian villa, and almost always were placed on both sides of the manor. Such barns were characterized by portico and intended to services: from the kitchen and homes of the peasants to stables and outbuildings (storage). Generally, the barchessa (usually there were two of them) is an integral part of a large complex for agricultural production.
    Andrea Palladio (great Venetian architect) gave architectural dignity to the barns, connecting them to the main house and giving to them greater symmetry and monumentality.

    right sided barchessa back side of barchessa left sided barchessa back side of barchessa barchessa and the park in front

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Porta Fra' Giocondo

    by Diana75 Updated Nov 20, 2006

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    A more recent entry point to the ancient town, Porta Fra' Giocondo is connecting the northern part of Treviso with Piazza San Francesco and its architectural jewels through Via Sant'Antonio da Padova.

    Entrance to Treviso from the north Entrance to Treviso from the north Entrance to Treviso from the north
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Chiesa di San Gaetano

    by Diana75 Updated Nov 20, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Located in the heart of the city, it is said that San Gaetano is one of the smallest churches in Treviso.

    Built at the beginning of the XIII century, from the old church left today only some frescoes from the Romanic times.

    At the beginning of XIV century, the Gerosolimitani (Malta knights) took the church and changed its name into "San Giovanni al Tempio".

    In the XVI century, when the church was dedicated to the Vicenza saint, the name of the church was changed again into the current one of San Gaetano da Thiene.

    Chiesa di San Gaetano Chiesa di San Gaetano
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Universita' di Treviso (Treviso University)

    by Diana75 Updated Nov 20, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    It is said that the first references about the establishment of a faculty in Treviso are dating from 1231 when a medicine schools was opened.

    The today headquarters of Treviso University stands on Riviera Garibaldi, on the place where the hospital Santa Maria dei Battuti once stood.

    In the last years the structure was bought, refurbished and transformed it into the university building by Fondazione Cassamarca.

    In this building, as well as in other offices of the university located in the old town, are held classes of the Law, Foreign Commerce, Statistic and Business Management Faculties.

    Universita' di Treviso and the University Bridge Universita' di Treviso
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Business Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Istituto Diocesano di Musica

    by Diana75 Updated Nov 20, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Important religious and cultural institutions are placed in the surroundings of Saint Nicholas church.

    Seminario Vescovile is also housing among others the Seminary Library with 150,000 books, the Zoological Museum Giuseppe Scarpa with 2,500 preserved animals, the Ethnological Museum "Grossa" of Venezuelan Indians with object of this old civilization, the Archaeological Museum "Campagner" of pre-Columbian Ands civilizations and Istituto Diocesano di Musica.

    Istituto Diocesano di Musica
    Related to:
    • Music
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Mura scaligere (city walls)

    by Diana75 Updated Nov 20, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Many remains of the old scaligere defending walls can be seen around Treviso's old town.

    The total length of the walls was of 4km.

    Outside, the walls are surrounded by the channels formed by the rivers Sile and Cagnan.

    Once the access to the center of the town was allowed only through the three city gates: Porta San Tomaso on the north, Porta Santi Quaranta on the west and Porta Altinia on the south.

    Remains of city walls Remains of city walls Remains of city walls
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Piazza della Vittoria – Monumento ai caduti

    by Diana75 Updated Nov 20, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    On the place where Piazza della Vittoria stands today, used to be the biggest palace in Treviso built by Bressa family.

    The palace was demolished in 1824 and 100 years later, the King Vittorio Emanuele III inaugurated here a monument dedicated to the Venetian wars heroes: "Monumento ai caduti".

    Made in stone and bronze, the monument presents an array transporting the remains of a hero to the Temple of Glory.

    The monument was designed by the Turin sculptor Arturo Stagliano.

    Direction: walking on Corso del Popolo, turn left on Via Cadorna

    Monumento ai caduti Monumento ai caduti Monumento ai caduti
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Diana75's Profile Photo

    Modern church

    by Diana75 Updated Nov 20, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Not all the churches in Treviso are as old as the cathedral or San Nicolo' church.

    Or at least don't look that old.

    Located on Corso del Popolo, on the left side, this original church seems to be quite modern according to the design and interesting round form.

    Unfortunately I found it always closed during my visits to Treviso.

    The round church The church's bell tower
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • jtogneri's Profile Photo

    weird little clothing store on via roggia

    by jtogneri Written Aug 3, 2006

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    While walking around Treviso one day, underneath the porticos of via roggia, by the duomo of treviso, i found this peculiar clothing store with no apparent name, logo or sign. What I discovered is it's owned by an American fashion designer named "Holly Krueger."

    you shoudl really check this out. She makes all of her clothes by hand, and the designs are very cool.

    via roggia
    Related to:
    • Luxury Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Gay and Lesbian

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Villa Volpi

    by croisbeauty Written Apr 23, 2006

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Actually, I couldn't find any useful informations about this magnificent villa, situated in Preganziol, lacality on a local road in between Treviso and Mestre. Right now, it is under major reconstruction works and since private property, public visitings are not allowed. Accordint to its style, it must be 17-19 century structure, as many other villas in the area.

    Vila Volpi

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Treviso

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

39 travelers online now

Comments

Treviso Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Treviso off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Treviso sightseeing.

View all Treviso hotels