Concerts/Theatre in Venice, Venice

Know about this? Rate It!

Violin-playing....in Venice !
    by coceng
  • coceng's Profile Photo

Violins-Rivalry...

by coceng Updated Feb 24, 2005

Violin-playing....in Venice !

Fondest memory: From the previous photo, I moved to the other side of St. Mark's Square & watching these 2 music bands, each from 2 different restaurants, rivalling each other who could attract the most passers-by !
    it was really nice especially the violinists from both bands who played all the songs I know from Sarah Brightman, Andrew Llyod Webber, Russel Watson, Andrea Bocelli etc. & some classical pieces that I didn't know the names but all familiar to me...
    We, the passers-by moved to one restaurant & listened to one band then, when the band stopped playing, the other band from the other side, would start to play & vice-versa. They also doing some feats on their violins like playing their violins with their teeth & people would laugh & clapped our hands.
    Watching them serenading us, is one of my best experiences in Venice with some lovers kissing, gypsies selling flowers (although I had to watch my empty wallet if they were walking behind me).
    The photo taken on the left was the band that won according to my judgement.

• universalgypsy's Profile Photo

Classical music in reverent settings

by universalgypsy Written Oct 8, 2004

Favorite thing: The Chiesa San Bartolomeo, right next to the Rialto Bridge, hosts concerts by local classical ensembles. I was able to catch a concert by ' Interpreti Veneziani' when I was there. Vivaldi, Bach and Francesco Geminiani were played, with the ornate altar as a backdrop. The atmosphere was reverent and exaltant, which was in great contrast to the fresh, young ensemble playing that night. All in all, the church as a venue, did not tame the enthusiasm and applause that broke out when the musicians laid down their instruments. The audience shouted for more and the musicians did not hesitate to deliver.

• Religious Travel