Floods!, Venice

Know about this? Rate It!

along the canale grande (c) ukirsari
    by ukirsari
  • Floods!
    by HeatherL17
  • ukirsari's Profile Photo

acqua alta

by ukirsari Updated Jan 18, 2008

along the canale grande (c) ukirsari

Fondest memory: good that we don't need to witnessing flood by ourselves but said by locals and a good friend of mine [lea chiaramellano], venice get hit by annually flood. it's called acqua alta where the sea level going up and create a flooding area.
    usually, centro mare [a government body of ocean and meteorology and its forecast] will launch a siren whenever water level rise up and the venetians [also tourists] should prepare themselves from the flood.

• Sailing and Boating

• paragianna75's Profile Photo

acqua alta

by paragianna75 Written Apr 19, 2007

Favorite thing: The last 100 years , the ground of Venice has lost 23cm because of the water rise and the solifluction.The Venetian people have used to this situation (acqua alta) and during flood period they protect their houses and their stores with tones of sand sacks.

• lonestar_philomath's Profile Photo

What to watch and listen for when in Venice

by lonestar_philomath Written Dec 13, 2006

Favorite thing: Observing the architecture.

Fondest memory: The last night while in Venice, I took a walk and notice in Plaza San Marco workers were installing platforms. Not know ing any better I continued to my hotel and fell asleep. The following morning while eating breakfast, I heard blow horns sounding and the staff informed me that the horns were for high water. I can still remember rolling up my pants legs that morning and walking diaginally across Plaza San Marco in cold water to my mid-calf (my calves were so big I could not get my pants legs any further up).

Be prepared when you are in Venice and you see wooden platforms being installed and hear sirens the following day!

• Cruise