Piazza San Marco & Basilica San Marco, Venice

Know about this? Rate It!

Mix of architcture on St. Mark
  • Fam.Rauca's Profile Photo

Piazzetta San Marco

by Fam.Rauca Written Oct 23, 2005

Piazzetta San Marco

Favorite thing: The Piazzetta lies between the Basilica and the lagoon.
    It was erected 1537, after Plans Sansovinos, precisely at the moment, since Venice made a name of pressure and book metropolis for itself.
    Each visitor of Piazzetta gets there, a first impression of the shine and splendour of the republic.
    The Doges Palace opposite, the Biblioteca Marciana arises, that belongs today, to the Museo Civico Correr.
    The columns at the water come from the 12th century.
    The winged lion, on the first pillar, is Persian or Syrian origin.
    On the other column stands a statue of the sacred Theodor, the first protection patron of the city.

• Castles and Palaces

• dfactor's Profile Photo

Expresso on the Piazza

by dfactor Updated Aug 19, 2005

Tourist taking time-out in the Piazza.

Favorite thing: Sipping expresso in the piazza is certaitly a good way to relax yourself from the long walk around the alleys in Venice. A good place for peple watching and to spot the latest trend in fashion, with live classical music playing in the background. The ambience in the piazza is one of the thing I missed the most, apart from the Gondola ride.

• Business Travel

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Write postcards to your VT friends

by jessicadf Written Jul 4, 2005

Still life with beer, crisps and postcards

Favorite thing: It's easy to find a nice, sunny (or shady) spot to sip a drink and write postcards to your friends. You'll find many vendors around the city who sell postcards. Prices averaged 12 for 3.50 Euros. We found, however, someone selling 12 for 2 Euros and bingo -- we'd found our postcards. Are we cheap? :-p

Fondest memory: Writing postcards to my family and to some special VTers. Notice the lipstick kiss? This was for Dr. Firas and Piccolina. The one being written was to my grandmother, spurring her memories of Italian travels with my grandfather.

• deecat's Profile Photo

Piazza San Marco, Day or Night, the Place to Be

by deecat Updated Apr 26, 2005

It's Magical

Favorite thing: As I stood in the middle of Piazza San Marco, I tried to imagine the millions of people who had stood in this very spot and felt the awe of such beauty. This piazza has witnessed so much...Carnival festivities, political strikes, elaborate pageants, religious processions, and ordinary citizens standing right here!

I just seemed to block out any mass of people or any swarm of pigeons; instead, I focused on the beautiful orchestras that were playing, the beautiful architecture of the Basilica San Marco, Doge's Palace, Campanile, and the Columns of San Marco and San Teodoro. In that one moment, the grandeur that was Venice was alive!

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Venice took place here in Piazza San Marco when my husband of 40 years asked me to dance to the orchestra music...it was magic.

• Seniors

• sheryl_tan's Profile Photo

Feed the pigeons!

by sheryl_tan Updated Apr 15, 2005

Feeding the pigeons...

Fondest memory: You just have to feed the pigeons. There are so many of them. All you have to do is to get some pigeons' food from the vendors there and pour some onto your palms, and the pigeons will start to have a feast on you! Well, things may get a little messy if you know what I mean. So it is good to put on a cap and wear your wind-breaker just in case the pigeons decided that they need a break. Wet tissues come in handy too. Despite the trouble and 'dangers', it was great fun.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Man in hat attacks lion

by littlesam1 Written Mar 8, 2005

Favorite thing: This lion statue is found in Piazza San Marco next to the Cathedral. I love to laugh and have a good time. So this statue caught my attention and the next thing you know, there is this crazy American in a hat yelling "Take my picture!"

There are Lions all over Venice. The lion is the symbol of St. Mark the patron saint of Venice.

A Well-Travelled Guy...

by coceng Updated Feb 24, 2005

I was really tired....in Venice.

Fondest memory: This photo was taken by another passer-by at the church in St. Mark's Square.
    Venice was my last destination in Italy before went back to Rome & flew home.
    After about 1 month travelling, in one of the hottest weather in Italy since the last 200 years I was so tanned ! But to all my friends & family here, I looked so dark !
    On this photo, you can see me, sitting cross-legged on the bench smoking a cigarette, next to my bagpack. I looked so jaded & tired. Deep in my heart at that moment, thinking, another great trip was almost over.
    I hope the guy ( who said "You Vant Me To Make Your Photo ?" ) would capture me at that moment, it was great ! I love this photo !
    Everybody that I showed this photo to said it summed up as 'a well-travelled guy' indeed.
    Actually on the photo, I also felt that I should get back to my own room in KL & sleep & sleep & sleep !

• coceng's Profile Photo

Me at St. Mark's Square...

Out of focus or what !?...in Venice

Fondest memory: I approached this guy to take a photo of me; He asked me whether I was the first time in Venice & I said 'yes'.
    He said that he should take the best photo of me in Venice.
    I was really hoping that this photo would turn out to be my best photo in Venice. I somehow don't agree with him & what do you guys think?
    He focussed on me but not the building behind me !
    This is what I assumed when people are used to a digital camera, they would feel awkward holding & taking a photo with a normal conventional camera.
    SO, next time when you want somebody to take a photo of yourself at a grand place, infront of a grand spot etc, make sure you look for somebody who has the same camera type as you : i.e. digital or analog...

• coceng's Profile Photo

My Last Night in Venice...

Tired & sleepy ...in Venice

Fondest memory: After watching the violinists serenading me, I decided to go back to the hotel & thinking of one more photo of me !
    Some couples behind me also wanted to take in for the memory...
    A passer-by took this photo, it was okay ! My cheap camera couldn't really take good night photos.
    I was tired & sleepy anyway.
    There were many people at that time, around 11 pm.
    Walking, kissing (as if they should do that while in Venice, when they get home, they got a divorce !), kids were playing & the gypsies still selling their flowers I had to grip my (empty) wallet !
    This was the night sight around St. Mark's Square...

• Adventure Travel

• The most important thing: take time!

by abstract_diva Written Jan 2, 2005

Favorite thing: Some Tourist-Guides claim that Venice can be seen in a day, well yes, you can obviously run through it in a day but that would be a sacrilege.

Venice is seriously the most magical & beautieful city in the world (we cried when we had to leave!) and you can discover many many details within this magical beauty so - TAKE TIME & look twice!

Sit down somewhere, relax & look at the many details that puzzle together to this miracle of a city!

Fondest memory: The Sundowns & dawn! The light is magical! (Picture shows sundown over Piazza de Marco)

• candert's Profile Photo

St. Marks Basilica - Book Ahead

by candert Updated Dec 22, 2004

Favorite thing: If you plan on going to St. Mark's, and you definitely should, save yourself the hassle of lines and prebook entrance. Go to:

This webiste allows you to preplan your time to view this great church. It's free. All you do is pick the time and print off the confirmation. Bring it to the guard at the front of the long line, and they'll wave you in.

• Religious Travel

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Architecture

by HORSCHECK Written Oct 4, 2004

Mix of architcture on St. Mark

Favorite thing: Due to its changing history, Venice is packed with various worth seeing architectural buildings. Italian, Arabic and Byzantine styles are representing the city. So keep your eyes open when making your way through the labyrinth of alleys and canals.

• Trains

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

St Marks

by sandysmith Updated Aug 5, 2004

St Marks detail

Fondest memory: Drinking in all the wonderful architecture everywhere - this is part of St Marks the main church in Venice and a must see of course.
    The different colours in the marble, the views of the domes and intricate details were mesmerising. You could spend hours just here!

• danmcf's Profile Photo

Piazza San Marco

by danmcf Written Mar 20, 2004

Basilica San Marco & the Campanile

Favorite thing: The only Piazza in Venice, Piazza San Marco has been the political center of Venice for over 1,000 years.
    The Basilica San Marco is the 3rd church to stand on this site. Until 1807 it served as the as the doge's private chapel for State ceremonies.
    The campanile appears as it did in the early 16th century, but the original collapsed in 1902. The one now standing was dedicated in 1912.

• zrim's Profile Photo

Get Out at Night

by zrim Updated Mar 15, 2004

St. Mark's Square--empty after midnight

Fondest memory: Wandering the canals and alleyways at night can be a lot of fun. The city can be most mysterious at night--especially if there is a touch of fog or a fine mist.

Early evening is a great time to visit the plentiful cafes and have a few glasses of "rosso" or "bianco".

After dinner it is good to take a long walk and see if you can't get lost. Since the city is an island, you wont ever get too far afield and it is great fun to find new nooks and crannies at night.

For the finale, it is amazing to walk into St. Mark's Square after midnight. The whole thing is lit up and if luck is on your side you can have it all to yourself.

Instant Answers: Venice