Venice What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in Venice

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 22, 2013

My guide books in Venice

Miscellaneous: Here they are my guide books that provided me details about a geographic location, tourist attractions, or most interesting itineraries in Venice.

Venice. Storti Edizioni – Venezia, 110 illusreations, 1 map, 1996, 64 pages.

Around the World. Italy. Second edition. Publisher "Around the World", 2005, 520 pages, 150cities, 370 churches and cathedrals, 120 museums, 29maps, 200 illustrations.

Italy. Le Petit Fute. Michel Strogoff & Ass., City-Guides, Country-Guides, Paris-Luxemburg-Moscow. 1999, 206 pages

A Good Map Is Worth The Cost

by RoscoeGregg Written Feb 21, 2011

Momentay Disorentation

Miscellaneous: Mapeasy's Guide to Venice is a great thing to have in your kit during a stay in Venice. It is printed on waterproof and almost indestructible paper. It is detailed and accurate. There is a ton of information on it.

It is designed to be traveler friendly and easy to use.

I do not work for the company or benefit in any way from this post.

• Architecture

• marcwensma's Profile Photo

taking with you to Venice

by marcwensma Written Feb 15, 2010

Luggage and bags: Wherever you go: always travel light.
    When flying I only take hand luggage. If it is for a weekend or 4 weeks, doesn't matter.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: For Venice take good walking shoes with you.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Only a toothbrush. The rest you can buy when you are there in a nice little supermarket and leave the shampoo in your room for the next guest.

Photo Equipment: That you will have to take with you.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: When you want to spend some time at the Lido in summer swimming stuff would be nice.

Miscellaneous: Always take a few photographs or cards from your hometown with you to give away to people you meet.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo

An Excellent Map

by calcaf38 Updated Nov 14, 2009

Everyone's lost

Miscellaneous: A map is indispensable in Venice since the canals and the alleys combine into mazes. Everywhere, you see visitors - and locals - poring over maps. The sun and your natural compass don't help, as you tend to get confused in dark corners.

My family and I were carrying all sorts of maps. It became clear quickly that mine, the Waterproof Venice Map by Rough Guide Maps, was the best. It was the most accurate, the easiest to read, and the most resistant. I'm not usually very sentimental about maps, but this is truly perfection on (recycled and biodegradable) paper.

On the day of my departure, I needed to walk to the bus station at Piazzale Roma at 5:00 a.m. I used my map to draw myself schematic directions, and I am glad I did. Even with a practice run the day before under my belt, it was confusing.

Your Feet Are Your Babies

by RoscoeGregg Updated Sep 13, 2009

My Trusty Boots Ugly? True, but my feet don

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: You are allways afoot in Venice. Bring your most comfortable broken in walking shoes or boots.

If they are new wear them at home till the are broken in. If you do not have a pair that fit replace them with a pair that do. Look till you find a brand that fits your foot. Look for a good shop where they still know how to measure your foot and fit you with the right footwear.

Break them in at home. A blister at home is an annoyance. In Venice where you reach everything on foot it could derail your fun completely.

Bring good socks. Wool or synthetic will work much better to prevent blisters than cotton and dry faster when you wash them. Bring at least 3-4 pair so you can wash one pair out each evening and have a clean dry pair always ready

I know this sounds a bit excessive but footwear and walking are an especialty of mine. I have hiked 10s of thousands of miles and I am on my feet every day. I have fit hundreds of people with boots and shoes. I have not had a blister since 1979. (brag, brag, brag)

Bring A Compass And A Good Map

by RoscoeGregg Updated Sep 12, 2009

Randy And Bob The Head Tourons Get Reoriented

Miscellaneous: Buy a simple compass and a good map. If you can find one on that tough waterproof paper great! If you are unsure about how to use a map and compass ask a friend to show you the basics. Since there are signs everywhere you will only need rudamentary map and compass skills.

This will give you the freedom to wander at will. With these simple inexpensive tools you will be able to find your way around Venice with confidence.

Rain Gear and Rubber Boots

by RoscoeGregg Written Jul 12, 2009

My Best Friend In Her New Rubber Wellys

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: When heading to Venice in the late fall and winter take good rain gear. Low key colors keep you blending in.

A light pair of ploy pro or silk under wear fits nicly under your clothes and can make the cool rainy days much more enjoyable.

Throw 30 extra euros in your kit to buy a pair of rubber boots incase the town floods on the days you are there. They are avalible all over town. While I cannot justfy carring them around for a long trip. Without them on a flood day your activiy will be brought to a stand still. If you do not want to take them with you when you leave make a gift to some one just begining their vist in Venice.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Things to pack for Venice

by suvanki Updated Dec 8, 2008

Plenty to see and buy in Venice

Luggage and bags: I packed hand luggage only for my 4 day trip in a holdall, plus a smartish roomy handbag. Lost count of the times I was nearly knocked over by rucksack wielding tourists rushing across bridges or Piazzas, or by wheeled cases nearly removing my ankles, as their owners blithely dashed along- Can't begin to imagine how busy it is in summer!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Comfortable footwear is essential- I still haven't mastered the Italian art of walking around in high heels!
    In December I was glad I'd packed my winter coat, it was quite chilly out of the sun and at night. Plus the locals were usually very smartly dressed, so I didn't feel too out of place. I even got stopped and asked directions in Italian a few times!!
    I've just seen an article saying that etiquette wardens are going to patrol St Marks square this summer to combat 'falling standards' such as walking around the city bare chested !!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Compeed blister plasters came in useful!
    Plenty of Pharmacies here, but carry your essential medications.
    'forget' your perfume/ soap etc. and re-stock with Italian fragrances!!!
    'Resolve' or other hangover 'remedies' in case of a few too many Bellinis

Photo Equipment: I'm still not digital- Though Venice has proved that perhaps I should convert!!
    It's cheaper to buy film in UK or USA, I paid 5 and 6 euros for 36 exp films - thought I'd brought enough-Hmmm, no I'd used all of my stock on my 2nd day! UPDATE- I'm now digital! So, I now know to recommend plenty of memory cards, spare battery and charger

Miscellaneous: Sunglasses/lip salve-even in Winter
    Credit Card etc- Venice isn't always cheap, and there's plenty to buy!
    Bubble wrap for those delicate souvenirs, bottles of Prosecco etc.
    Binoculars- for viewing Venice from high above etc.
    Wet wipes/tissues for before and after eating those delicious ice creams 'on the move'

• wanderingbilly's Profile Photo

PACK LIGHT

by wanderingbilly Updated Nov 13, 2008

Luggage and bags: TRY TO PACK YOUR CLOTHES IN A BACKPACK OR AT LEAST IN A SUITCASE WITH WHEELS AS YOU WILL HAVE QUITE A BIT OF WALKING TO DO AND YOU REALLY DONT WANT TO BE LUGGGING A LOT OF LUGGAGE AROUND THE NARROW STREETS OF VENICE..REMEMBER YOU WILL BE CARRYING IT ALL YOURSELF.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: LIGHT SUMMER CLOTHES LIKE T-SHIRTS FOR THE DAYS BUT A SHIRT OR SOMETHING WARM FOR THE EVENINGS WHEN IT GETS A BIT COOLER..{ WE WERE THERE IN LATE SEPTEMBER)
    LOVELY WARM DAYS BUT COOLER IN THE EVENINGS.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: MUCH AS YOU WOULD ON ANY TRIP ..JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH OF EVERYTHING AS VENICE CAN BE EXPRNSIVE TO STOCK UP ON THINGS.

Photo Equipment: BRING LOADS...YOU WILL TAKE LOADS OF PICS OF THIS WONDERFUL CITY.
    AND REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR CHARGER.

• Singles

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo

Map (I&V)

by Zvrlj Updated Oct 8, 2008

Map

Luggage and bags: As many had pointed on VT and everywhere else – the only way to see the Venice is to walk, walk, walk… all over it. It could be very nice to get lost in the labyrinth of narrow Venetian streets, but sometimes is good to know the exact location or something great, important, interesting… just around the corner, could be missed. Therefore the map is needed and the bigger map, the better. Actually, map should be wider than some of Venetian streets :-)

Venice de Agostini Street Map is an excellent pick.

• lina112's Profile Photo

All you need

by lina112 Written Aug 21, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We went on July and it was very hot about 32 degrees, so all on our luggage was summer cloth, confortable shoes because you will walk a lot. If you go on winter well take all jumper, trousers, hats, etc is very very cold.

Viajamos en Julio en pleno verano y hacía mucha calor sobre 32 grados, así ke toda la ropa de verano que echamos a veces no era suficiente. Recomiendo los zapatos mas comodos que tengas porque te pasarás el día andando. Si viajas en invierno preparate a ir forrada de ropa, hace mucho frio.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Take a good mosquito repellent because in Venice there are a lot of mosquitos, overcoat at nighte where they´re acting.

Echate un buen repelente de mosquitos porque Venecia está plagada de mosquitos, sobre todo de noche que es cuando actuan mas.

Photo Equipment: Your digital camera with a good memory stick or normal cameral with lots of films, because you will take a lots of photos believe me. I took more than 200 photos and made 2 videos.

Tu cámara digital con su correspondiente tarjeta o la cámara normal y muchos carretes porque harás mogollón de fotos. Yo hice mas de 200 fotos y un par de videos.

• Architecture

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

March Weather

by darkjedi Updated Mar 16, 2008

Wind and torrential rain Wed pm

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I found Venice in March to be a mix of high wind, torrential rain and warm sunny days. I little like England but a bit warmer. If you have an umbrella, ditch it and get one of the new aerodynamic ones that don't fold up in high winds. The winds blow into town like an express train. All four photos here, Fog, Rain, Wind, Sun etc taken within 48 hours!

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo

Proper Clothes for Visiting Churches (I)

by Zvrlj Updated Feb 1, 2008

Luggage and bags: Visits of churches in Venice are things to do and there is dress code for that which is obliged. It is necessary to avoid mini skirts or pants, tops… everything that uncover shoulders and knees. Unless you are properly dressed you will not be allowed to enter a church.

In some churches there are paper covers which can be bought for several Euros, but it is unnecessary expense.

• Religious Travel

• Pack Light and bring Plenty of Euros

by LIDolly Updated Dec 21, 2007

Luggage and bags: A rolling bag is a must - yes even with bridges and cobblestones. There's a lot more dragging than lifting, and there is no one to do it for you. We each took one small rolling bag and used a backpack as our carry-on. We also took an extra empty LeSportsac type suitcase and filled it with laundry, using the rolling bags for packing any purchases. Tip: They do not allow backpacks into the museums, you will need to check them - so be sure to carry your valuables separately. We purchased travel pouches for that purpose and were very satisfied with them.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Pack as LIGHTLY as you possibly can, but realize that even with rain boots, you will be very wet at the end of the day in rainy season. The streets are quite dirty, it won't be enough to "rinse" your pants, you'll either have to wash them or bring a sufficient quantity. I cannot stress enough how important rainboots are at this time of year. Galoshes, overshoes - they must be at least calf height. Even the Italians were asking us where we got our boots! (See our pictures for the calf high flooding in St. Mark's Square, and even light flooding at local bridges. Umbrellas are difficult to use because of the narrow streets and alleys, ponchos are better.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: We brought soap and shampoo, but the hotel, a 3 star, did provide it. We brought loads of Pepcid AC (Used them!), Benedryl (used them - mosquito bites - ouch!!), Rhuli-Gel (anti-itch, used it!), Aleve (Used it! Walking for 8 hours/+ per day) and assorted other items. Cough drops are sold everywhere.

Photo Equipment: It goes without saying. Be sure to bring a charger and an adaptor for your charger.

Miscellaneous: Everything in Venice costs a fortune, and dollars are worthless. Although it's great to have credit cards, there are loads of places - especially cafes - that do not accept them. It's cash - in Euros - or go elsewhere. So be sure to always have cash (Euros) on you. ATM's often give better rates than anywhere else.

• heavy luggage

by rosafucsia Updated Sep 12, 2007

Luggage and bags: I suggest a very light trolley bag. In venice there are many bridges and it's no fun having heavy suitcases to drag around.
    You can leave the heavy stuff in storage in Piazzale Roma or at the train station.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: In winter rubber boots are very handy!

Instant Answers: Venice

Comments

Venice What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Venice what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Venice sightseeing.