Ae Oche (Pizzeria), Venice

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 7 Reviews

(several branches in Venezia)

Ae Oche - interior
    Ae Oche
    Ae Oche - Venezia - donations details
  • sunlovey's Profile Photo

Ae Oche: Atleast 70 pizza types, inexpensive, locals luv it

by sunlovey Written Feb 7, 2005

Off the beaten path somewhat, chock full of young locals, why? great, cheap pizza, wine etc. in a laid back atmosphere.

We found it funny- the decor was very American memorabilia-ish.

you are not going to believe how many pizza types you have to choose from. I love that!

Favorite Dish: GORGONZOLA PIZZA hands down!

• Singles

• tomhoward's Profile Photo

Ae Oche: Ae Oche, Santa Croce, Venice

by tomhoward Updated Apr 16, 2004

Pretty good pizza restaurant that can't decide if it's a restaurant or fast food joint.

If you want a break from the crazy Venetian prices other restaurants charge, give this place a try.

Something like 80 different flavours so a pizza for everyone in this place.

• debtravers's Profile Photo

Ae Oche Pizzeria alle Oche: Blimmin great pizza

by debtravers Written Jul 27, 2006

Six of us ate here, the pizza was reaallly good, nice cold beers and the house wine was cheap by the carafe....we ate and drank well here and cost about £70 for the six of us which I reckon is pretty good by Venice standards... nice place too and friendly waiters. Loads of choice but sorry, can't remember if they just do pizza or other stuff too.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Ae Oche: Cheapest Pizzas in Venice?

by suvanki Updated Oct 3, 2010

Ae Oche

SANTA CROCE
    VAPORETTO - RIVA DI BIASIO / SAN STAE

Open daily in summer, otherwise-closed Mondays
    (12.00-15.00 for lunch and 19.00-23.00 for dinner)

I found this place, while I was wandering around looking for somewhere reasonable to eat. I'd hoped to eat at the nearby La Zucca, but it was full, so I turned back to this well known pizzeria.

This is the original Ae Oche Pizzeria, named after the nearby Calle del Oche, where geese were reared and sold-hence the cartoon geese logo.
    Other branches are open around Venice (Lista di Spagna, Cannaregio 158A and Dorsoduro 1414, on the Zattere ) and Veneto (Mestre and Treviso).

I was aware that Ae Oche was noted for its cheap pizzas, and is a popular place for students to eat, so decided to give it a try. There were empty seats outside, but I thought that I'd check with the waiter inside, that these weren't reserved. He pointed to empty tables and said I could sit on the left or right - I chose the side with most diners, and an end table. Menus were already on the table, so I worked my way through the 80 plus pizzas. Here were varieties that I'd never seen before! I also noted that the cheapest pizza was 4.90 Euros!

I decided that I'd opt for one around 7.50 Euros, and found something unusual to try- Equine pizza- dried shredded horsemeat served with a wedge of lemon. As far as I know, I've not eaten horsemeat before, though I most probably have in France or Belgium. I remembered seeing a horsemeat butcher in the Rialto Markets on a previous visit.

There was a Veneziana pizza-seafood for 9.80 Euros, where a percentage from the service charge for anyone choosing this variety , would be donated to the Venice in Peril fund. I saw this last week in the UK, on a Pizza Express Menu too. CLICK FOR INFO

Well, I read the menu cover to cover, and still no service - the waiter kept popping in and out to attend to other diners/ clear their plates etc, but I was invisible, despite waving!!!

A new couple arrived, and were promptly seen to. Now, normally, I'd have just stood up and walked away, but.....It was 22.00 hours, and as most restaurants in Venice close around 22.30, I wasn't sure if I'd find anywhere else nearby, I was getting very hungry too.

I was just about to get up to leave, when a different waiter appeared. He came over straight away, and took my order -Aperol Spritz-which came in a glass tumbler-no olive or orange slice.

My pizza was fine-hot and tasty, but I was disappointed with the (lack of) service, which has put me off eating at any of the Ae Oche branches in future.

Although the prices are cheap, there is a 12% service charge!!!!

I went inside to use the toilet, and saw the much mentioned American Diner style interior, which was empty!! I thought that at least the poor service was due to it being full inside.

• filipdebont's Profile Photo

Ae Oche: Pizza, Pizza, Pizza

by filipdebont Written Jun 16, 2007

Parma Prosciutto

In the area near the railway station, (only a few steps away from my hotel) there were plenty of restaurants.

As I am a pizza lover, it was not so difficult to choose.

It was more difficult to choose what Pizza I wanted. I did choose Disco Volante - freely translated Flying sorcer.

This restaurant looked modern, and the service was young, quick and friendly.

And the food and the beer tasted great.

Favorite Dish: Parma Prosciutto - 5,50 euro
    Disco Volante (prosciutto, mushrooms, artichockes, spicy salami) - 9 euro

• Festivals

• Helga67's Profile Photo

AE OCHE

by Helga67 Updated Jul 11, 2003

There's nothing Venetian about this saloonlike pizzeria with rows of imported stouts on the shelves and a non-smoking room. The very popular Ae Oche (Chez Geese) is named for the nearby calle once renowned for the raising and commerce of geese. Seventy-nine different pizzas, a selection of 16 salads plus a few pasta dishes make the Oche an ideal stop for a light meal between sights.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Ae Oche: Good Choice for Pizza

by TexasDave Updated Mar 15, 2013

This is the closest you'll come to to an American-styled pizzeria in Venice. Over 85 different varieties, and a couple dozen different brands of beers. As Venetian restaurants go, it's a bargain.

Instant Answers: Venice

Comments

Hotels Near Ae Oche (Pizzeria)
4.0 out of 5 stars