4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 5 Reviews

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Antico Martini: Too stuffy, bland & overpriced. NICE waiter though

by sunlovey Written Mar 8, 2005

dining room

Tim and I had dinner at Antico Martini and both left feeling disappointed. The menu was a little on the boring and overpriced side. The atmosphere was stuffy. I mean formal is one thing, but we just felt we needed to be 50 years older to fit in and enjoy this place. (That would make us about 80 years of age)

I will say our waiter was VERY friendly and accommodating... so accommodating that he spoiled me with TWO lemoncello cremes after dinner at no cost. What a doll!

Do enjoy a lemoncello after dinner yourself in Venice. It's quite tasty! Particularly the creamy kind.

Favorite Dish: I can't even recall what I had for dinner. I do remember the portion being on the VERY tiny side and I am used to fine dining portions.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Antico Martini: La Cucina Italiana - Antico Martini Style!

by Krystynn Written Jan 24, 2004

For good Italian food + good ambience

Housed in an old historical palace, ANTICO MARTINI - founded in 1720 - serves delicious Venetian cuisine. I first patronized this restaurant almost a decade ago with my girlfriends. My 2nd visit to this fabled restaurant was in 2001 and the quality of food is still as delicious as ever.

The restaurant boasts of illustrious diners like Lord Byron, Casanova, Goethe, Balzac, Goldoni, Guardi, Voltaire, Rousseau, Verdi, Dickens, Proust, D'Annunzio, Ibsen, De Chirico, Le Courbousier, Hemingway, Sartre, Stravinsky, Rubinstein, Cocteau, Ungaretti, Montale, Marinetti, princess Margaret, Bernstein, Laurence Olivier and all the Venetian and Italian aristocracy.

Impressive list. I guess we should count ourselves honored to be dining in the same restaurant as these men & women.

Well, considering the amount of money you have to pay for a meal like that.... everything else had better impress! ;-)

Favorite Dish: I can recommend you what I ate (and enjoyed) O.K.? Try their Leek & Angler-fish Soup and Pasta with "bruscandoli" & Scampi. I know, I know... I'm a boring person. I seem to choose the same dish wherever I go - always.

Their hot Apple Pie is the best I've tasted thus far! Order it for your dessert.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

ANTICO MARTINIIf you look for...

by SirRichard Written Sep 12, 2002

ANTICO MARTINI
    If you look for a nice terrace with some history (though a bit over-priced), come here. You can have a nice risotto or a fegato alla veneziana at the terrace watching the people pass by the piazza.
    Some history: Founded in 1720, the former residence of Admiral Vettor Pisan was first called Cafe San Fantin. In 1792 the Fenice Opera was built and the cafe became the meeting place for artists and intellectuals.
    Campo San Fantin, S. Marco 1983. Tel. + 39 - 041 5237027 or 041 5224121 - Fax + 39 - 041 5289857 Closed Tuesdays (all day) and Wednesdays lunchtime.
    How to get there: Is just in front of La Fenice theatre. In case you don't know where La Fenice is: from San Marco Piazza, walk under the arcades of the left side of the square, and take the exit on that corner. Cross the first bridge till Via XXII Marzo, then take the second turn on the right, called Calle delle Veste (there's a carpet shop on the corner). Just one more bridge and you are here.

• Helga67's Profile Photo

ANTICO MARTINI

by Helga67 Updated Jul 11, 2003

Antico Martini, Venice

This is an excellent restaurant for a romantic evening. The food is superb, the service excellent and the atmosphere wonderful. It is located near the La Fenice opera house. Next door, there is a piano bar belonging to the same restaurant, so have dinner first and then a drink in the pianobar and you'll have an excellent evening out.

Favorite Dish: Their menu proposals (€ 46, € 51 or € 79) look very nice and tasteful.

• Antico Martini: Not cheap, but good

by canolista Written Nov 1, 2007

Next to the Fenice Opera House, and supposedly frequented by its performers, this is an upmarket, but quality restuarant with very good food and excellent service. The menu is not extensive, but the pumpkin, coriander and ginger soup was a winning winter warmer, and it does a good range of puds. The wines are good too. But it is very pricey for what it is - a slightly upmarket trattoria, so it would be a special treat.

When we were there, a lady sitting on her own (foreign, but apparently known to the staff) had her birthday and they brought her a complementary dessert with a candle - this was a really nice touch, as she looked rather lonely. It was all done subtly so as not to embarrass her, and gives an indication of the quality of the place and the care which the staff take.

A tip re coats - they take them and give you a ticket - you could tip the cloakroom attendant if you retrieve yours yourself.

Favorite Dish: Pumpkin, coriander and ginger soup - warming and spicey, with good balance of flavours, strong colour and smooth texture.

Instant Answers: Venice

Comments

Hotels Near Antico Martini
4.5 out of 5 stars