Caffè Ristorante Quadri, Venice

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 7 Reviews

Piazza San Marco 121, 30124 Venezia 041-5222105

• Ristarante Gran Cafe Quadri - Irish Coffee
    Ristarante Gran Cafe Quadri - Irish...
  • sue_stone's Profile Photo

Gran Caffe Quadri: Premiere People Watching Cafe!

by sue_stone Updated Nov 4, 2005

relaxing at Quadri

For one of the best people watching places in Venice, pull up a seat at an outdoor table at Gran Caffe Quadri, located in Piazza San Marco.

Ok, it is not cheap place to do some people watching, but picture this.....firstly you are in Venice, which is amazing in itself...then you are sitting in a fancy old cafe in St Marks Square, glass of brunello in hand, feeling like the luckiest person in the world, watching the less lucky chase pigeons and take photos of those lucky people sitting in the posh cafes....

Favorite Dish: Possibly to a lot of people a visit to Gran Caffe Quadri (or Cafe Florian on the other side of the Piazza) would be written up as a tourist trap....it is expensive and caters to tourists. But, stuff 'em - pull up a chair, order an espresso, some gelato or a glass of wine and relax - you're in Venice. And it is fabulous!!

• Trains

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Caffe Quadri: Sumptuous hot chocolate

by ATLC Updated Jan 17, 2006

On the first floor of Caffe Quadri, a salon in red velvets and gold and then the very thick hot chocolate arrives. If it's too strong for you, you can add some milk. Plenty of lovely cookies to go with it and a refill of chocolate too.
    I have no idea about the price, as it was included in our programme. However, two days before I drank the most expensive coca cola there, ever!

^ ^ ^ Don't forget: 4 more photo's to see in this tip!

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Ristarante Gran Cafe Quadri: The only Restaurant in Piazza San Marco

by suvanki Updated Oct 6, 2010

SAN MARCO

I'd originally planned to have my last 'holiday drink' in Venice at Florians, before heading to the airport - but there were no tables outside - it was a sunny late December morning. So, I headed to the cafes opposite, and found a table outside Quadris.

I was served promptly by the smartly attired waiter - I decided to treat myself to an Irish coffee - (hot coffee with a slug of Irish Whiskey and topped with cream) it was sunny, but there was a chill in the air.

Waiting for my drink, I had time for a bit of people watching, and to enjoy my last views of San Marco- sadly the plastic sheeting around the central flagpole- see my 2nd and 3rd picture- spoiled the view somewhat.

My coffee arrived, with a piece of chocolate and a carafe of water. I was enjoying my leisurely drink, when I realised that I had less time than I thought before having to leave for the airport, so I ended up rushing my drink.

My bill was 15.80 Euros - Certainly not cheap, but I'd enjoyed my cafe experience, and my last few minutes in Venice (and I was aware that this would be expensive).

As it was winter - the orchestra wasn't playing- or there would have been a supplement.
    For the cheaper option-enjoy your drink standing up inside.

Quadris and Florians are Venetian institutions. Both are the only survivors from the 18th century, when there were 27 such coffee houses in the Piazzo alone.

Florians is slightly older, and would appear to be the more popular cafe. During the Occupation, Quadris was favoured by the Austrian Officers, while the locals hung out in Florians.

Both have similar price ranges - not cheap!! prices go up when their orchestras are playing- and there is a supplement added to the bill.
    Both have entertained the famous and infamous through the centuries.

Quadris has an upstairs restaurant - Expensive, but the only Restaurant in the Piazza. (I understand this is a popular venue for wedding parties)

Giorgio Quadri arrived in Venice in 1775, from Corfu, with his Greek wife Naxina and his life savings, intent on making his fortune in Venice.

Naxina saw the potential for investing in the new fashion for drinking coffee, a beverage introduced by the Turks

The first coffee shop had opened as early as 1683 under the Procuratie Nuove in St. Mark's Square. Naxina and Giorgio bought an old coffee shop on the corner of Sottoportego dei Dai, under the covered pavements of Piazza San Marco

In 1830 the Quadri opened its restaurant on the upper floor.

The ground floor rooms, with their distinctive stucco in pastel shades of light green and yellow, were the natural backdrop for the paintings of Venice scenes by Giuseppe Ponga.

I'm afraid that I still prefer Florians, but I did enjoy this experience at Quadri!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed my Irish Coffee - it was a good Irish Coffee, but why pay nearly 16 Euros for a glass of coffee, with a slug of whiskey and a topping of cream?

Because, it's being drunk outside one of the oldest coffee houses, in one of the worlds most attractive squares (spoilt only by the hoards of feathered vermin - in December the human hoards weren't too stifling!), the December sun's shining, it's my last hour in Venice, I wanted a happy memory - priceless!

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Caffe Ristorante Quadri: Expensive but you'll feel so elegant

by jessicadf Written Jul 2, 2005

Mark chills to the bassonova

Quadri has been in business for hundreds of years... one of the restaurants/bars with tables and chairs on the Piazza San Marco, with a jazz band playing to soothe your jangled nerves and accompany the scene that flows by. Drinks are very expensive, and accompanied by a small serving of potato chips and green olives, as well as a small caraffe of water.

Favorite Dish: Bellinis, of course! At 13.20 Euros per drink, however, it's not somewhere you want more than one drink. You are also charged 4.50 Euros per person for the opportunity to sit at their tables. They note that on the bill as "suppl. musica," but of course you could listen to the music for free if you simply didn't sit down at their tables.

• Architecture
    • Luxury Travel

• storyin's Profile Photo

Caffe' Quadri: Storyin Venezia

by storyin Written Nov 15, 2003

Caffe' Quadri ,  NG page from winter 2002 venezia

good view window on 2nd floor ,
    friendly atmosphere let me want to stay longer ... ( I do not want to stay over an hour in Cafe Florian )

but I think the coffee in Cafe Florian is better than cafe Quadri .

• Festivals
    • Women's Travel

• ldc_stl's Profile Photo

il Quadri: Rich in History

by ldc_stl Updated Aug 9, 2006

The Quadri is an historically rich café and restaurant in Piazza San Marco. During the 19th century occupation of Venice by the Austrians the Austrian officer corps was said to have dined here on a regular basis. Nowadays one has to be willing to pay up to eight euro for a caffé doppio. Do it once and it is a small price for the historical experience.

• Luxury Travel

• seagoingJLW's Profile Photo

Gran Caffee Quadri: Outdoor Cafe

by seagoingJLW Updated Jul 28, 2003

Entertainment

Here is the entertainment at Quadri in Piazza San Marco.

If you sit down it will cost you a small fortune. That is the cover charge because of the entertainment.

Instant Answers: Venice

Comments

Hotels Near Caffè Ristorante Quadri
3.5 out of 5 stars