Da Sandro, Venice

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Pizzeria Bar Trattoria - Da Sandro

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 25, 2009

Blunt knives at Da Sandro

One evening on my trip in May 2005 I met VT member jessica-b for dinner. We decided to go to Pizzeria Da Sandro which was a recommendation of our VT friend sue_stone.

If the Pizzeria had been crap, we could have blamed her instead of us. But no worries, like all her tips this place was well worth a 5 star rating.

The Pizzeria offers great Italian atmosphere in a small room. Jessica and me had delicious pizzas and two different big beers.

Unfortunately, the knives were a bit blunt so that we ate the Pizza partly with our hands.

Prices are relatively cheap for Venice, even though 1,80 Euro for the cover (coperto) was added to the bill.

• Trains

• Classic73's Profile Photo

Da Sandro: If you´re on a budget...

by Classic73 Written Mar 28, 2008

Venice is an expensive to place to eat. Not as bad as rumours would have it, but close... If you're on a budget, your best bet is to go for the tourist menus at the trattorias at about 15-18 euro per person or for the pizzerias, where you can get a pizza at about 6-9 euro each + 2 euro in cover charge per person. The tourist menus sometimes leave alot to be desired, and since you'll have a full stomach from one pizza, this is the way to go if you need to ease off on the spending.

Da Sandro had the best looking pizza that I could spot during my 5 days in Venice, and their taste didn't disappoint either!

A large draft on the side will cost you an additional 4 euro...

Favorite Dish: I ate there 3 times with my girlfriend and together we tried 5 different pizzas. My favorite was the San Polo (with ham, spinach and olives) but since I'm not into mushrooms, I only had about 1/3 of the selections to choose from... ;)

• Classic73's Profile Photo

Da Sandro: If you´re on a budget...

by Classic73 Written Mar 28, 2008

A large draft on the side will cost you an additional 4 euro...

Favorite Dish: I ate there 3 times with my girlfriend and together we tried 5 different pizzas. My favorite was the San Polo (named after the nearby square) with ham, spinach and olives, but since I'm not into mushrooms, I only had about 1/3 of the selections to choose from... ;)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Da Sandro: Pizza Pizza!

by sue_stone Written Feb 21, 2005

Pizza at da Sandro

Having read about a great pizza restaurant, rated by another VT'ers, we headed to da Sandro eagerly anticipating the meal ahead. We were not disappointed!

Da Sandro is located about a 5 minute walk from the Rialto Bridge, in the San Polo region of Venice. It is located on either side of the street - there is a larger restaurant with outside tables on one side, and a tiny pizzeria on the other, which is where we ate.

The four of us were welcomed and seated in the last available table. We ordered the obligatory litre of vino rosso and perused the menu.

Favorite Dish: We all had pizza of course - and it was good! I had the tuna pizza (yes, I am a little odd), whilst the others had slightly more exciting toppings. We had plenty of wine and even managed to fit in dessert.

It was all tasty and a great experience!

• Architecture
    • Trains

• paulcantlon's Profile Photo

Da Sandro: Beautiful Italian food

by paulcantlon Written Nov 16, 2004

Delicious Venetian food. Pizza to die for. Less is more with their pizza's, with the flavours bursting out. About 6EUR per pizza. My mouth is watering just writing this!
    Squid in ink is quite interesting. very nice, but not too sure what the 'ink' actually is! 8.50EUR for the squid.
    In all a delicious 3 course meal with the best tiramisu Ive ever eaten and a bottle of red wine cost about 40EUR for the both of us!
    Would highly recommend.

Favorite Dish: Devils Pizza,
    Squid in Ink
    Tiramisu

• PavlH's Profile Photo

Da Sandro: Squid in ink was tasty

by PavlH Updated Nov 12, 2004

The restaurant is on both sides of the road.
    The service is friendly and it's good value for money.
    They either have a set price menu at 15 or 19 euros or an a la carte which is still reasonable.

Favorite Dish: The spaghetti with oil, garlic and chilli was tasty as was the squid in ink.

• Da Sandro: Painfully Authentic

by scottydavis999 Written Oct 17, 2003

During a seven month stay in Italia I ventured to Venezia three times and I ate at this pizzeria/trattoria upon every visit. I did not revisit Da Sandro out of frustration but out of irrestable attraction.
    I happened on the pizzeria after purchasing food from a convenient 'super marcheto' across its piazzetta. Heading away from the Rialto Da Sandro is to your righthand side and its kitchen/furnace is opposite its green tarp covered patio.
    The pizza is absolutely superb and I encourage everyone to try something out of the ordinary, such as "pizza alla ricotta fresca e spinaci". There were over forty variations to their credit, providing the full spectrum of Italian pizza. The only difficulty some tourists might have is that the menu is primarily in Italian; but this is only a promising sign that the Da Sandro is more Italian than other places that have hegemonized to accomodate the International tongue. Da Sandro's fidelity to Italian standards is equal to my other favorite pizzerias in Finale Ligure, Napoli, and Siena.
    Expect brick-oven pizza, purchase frizzante (that's with the gas and bubbles), and enjoy enjoy enjoy.

Favorite Dish: My personal favorite is hard to finger at this pizzeria. But I would have to name Pizza all Diavola, the Devil's Pizza. This is a thin crusted pie that hangs over the edges of your plate and is layered with a spicy salami thinly sliced and blended with appropriate herbs and mozzarella/provolone cheese. That entree is only one of about forty pizzas to select from, and the hardest part is only settling with one. But I must also recommend any pie that is served with artichokes (carciofi), you'll see.

• rickyvilla81's Profile Photo

Da Sandro: A small family Trattoria...

by rickyvilla81 Written Nov 4, 2002

The Italians do food. They do food better than anybody in Europe. When I think of food in Italy I get so hungry!
    This little place, which I admit is hard to find, is superb. It is very traditional food, so well made and tasty that you wonder why other countries cannot be this good. The quality was to die for, and the atmosphere was warm. It was inexpensive too, being off the usual tourist routes in Venice. Be wary - many places really overcharge for terrible food. But not this restaurant. I heartily recommend it - if you can find it!

• Giulia_ua's Profile Photo

The other bar - restaurant...

by Giulia_ua Written Aug 25, 2002

The other bar - restaurant that I liked very much is called DA SANDRO. It is nice place, not far from Rialto Bridge.
    They make very good pizza, but in the evening they were out of tiramissu, my favorite italian dessert. Still, the waiter was very nice, and besides meals proposed me his address. I had lots of fun, and a very good dinner. By the way, in Italian restaurants I strongly recommend you to try vino della casa – home made wine. Both red and white wines are very good. I paid for the dinner less than 15 USD, including vine, coffee, dessert, and service.

Instant Answers: Venice

Comments

Hotels Near Da Sandro
5.0 out of 5 stars