Do Forni, Venice

• Do Forni
    by Marleen_
  • Do Forni: Okay Food. Bad Service. Too Congested

by d.banks Updated Apr 4, 2011

The dismissiveness and arrogance of our waiters made us feel unwanted and served by amateurs with attitude, in what had been billed as a top restaurant. Our principal waiter couldn’t make eye contact and suffered seeming pain with each request, conveyed the message, “I'm so good and I have so many things I’d rather be doing than suffering with you!” We were already shoehorned into a table that made waiter’s passage a contact sport. On arrival, they graciously gave us a Belini on the house, which was good. Then the glasses were spirited them away before we’d finished.

Bad experience, even though the food was good. Poor value for money. Perhaps some people enjoy paying for bondage.

Favorite Dish: After having tried to order Turbot, but being told its a minimum of 400grams, I settled on a pasta dish that was safe, and indeed good. Not great, but good.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo

Do Forni: Great Seafood

by junecorlett Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Restaurnat is devided into two Contiguous Rooms.
    One charactarized by rustic-elegant fittings looking out upon an inner garden-courtyard; and another one called "Orient Express" whose luxurious furniture welcomes an intimate atmosphere.

• Do Forni: Over Rated Over Priced Tourist Trap: Stay AWAY

by WanderingHebe Updated Apr 4, 2011

My first warning was that the restaurant is located just off the most cheesey and touristy part of venice. Warning #2 was the stale bread sitting on the table on arrival. Warning 3 was the restaurant is over-crowded with way too many table to serve a decent meal. Warning 4 was that the Concierge at my hotel, just happened to have a printed map directing suckers, I mean guests to the restaurant...Como Se Dice "kickback" en italiano.

I had a tastelyss spongey octopus dish followed by a decent but oversized plate of gooey pasta. The sea bass--two tiny filets which I suppose started out as over 400 grams or $50 bucks was fresh and adequate but could be had any number of local tratoria for 1/2 the price. The service was surly and rushed. the only reason I went was a confusion between the excellent Da Fiori with this mediocre tourist trap...

• Do Forni: Expensive but very nice!!!

by Marleen_ Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's not cheap but it's a nice experience. This famous restaurant is located at the San Marco plaza and it's a nice building with a very nice and expensive menu card!
    We only drink there 4 cups of coffee and one apple juice and we had to pay over the 50 dollars!!!
    So that was hurting the wallet of my dad lol!
    The service is not the best I have ever had, but for the apple juice it was fine!!!
    So do not eat there because after your dinner you are totally broke for the rest of your holiday!!!

Favorite Dish: The very expensive apple juice, the taste was very good!

• Luxury Travel

• Tratoria Do Forni: Nice but not cheap

by mexxgal Written Jul 8, 2005

Nice and classy ambience, a short distance away from Piazza San Marco.

Favorite Dish: Had the best pasta of my 2 week trip in Italy here at Do Forni. Prices are quite high but the risotto and pasta we tried were nice. Each guest was also given a free cocktail when we were there. Skip the Do Forni Hor d'veoure though... it's too fishy... we regretted ordering that.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Do Forni: For a Very Special Occasion

by TRimer Updated Feb 16, 2005

Ristorante Do Forni

The restaurant is divided into two contiguous rooms: one characterised by rustic-elegant fittings, endowed with a century-old stone fireplace and looking out upon an inner garden-courtyard that brings back the memories of an old venetian restaurant; and another one, called “Orient Express” whose luxurious furniture accurately reproduces the equipment and the intimate and welcoming atmosphere of the restaurant wagon of the famous train that joins Venice to Paris and Istambul.

It is best to have your hotel make a reservation. We got in at the last minute because my friend's father is well known in Venice.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant has won numerous awards. My favorite was the carpaccio.

The menu is centered around centuries-old traditional Venetian fish recipes accompanied by exquisite vegetable dishes and delicate sauces. Local fruits, vegetables and meats are used in sophisticated local interpretations of international and traditional specialties.

The wine list is comprehensive and prestigious, personally compiled and maintained by the proprietor. A choice from among the best labels from every region in Italy are available, in addition to fine French wines, Champagne and a selection of other foreign wines.

• Andrew_Liu's Profile Photo

DO FORNI: DO FORNI

by Andrew_Liu Written Aug 26, 2002

It¡¯s known that there are a lot of narrow lanes like big maze in the old town of Arab cities. The same was also found in Venice.
    I have forgotten the location of the restaurant where I had a lunch and the menu of that we having, but the narrow lane the restaurant locates in is my only memory. In this lane if someone walks facing you, you can only squeeze through sideways!

Instant Answers: Venice