Gam Gam, Venice

Gam Gam Chicken Soup
    Gam Gam menu
  • Gam Gam: Lovely place to stop and relax

by Shloime Written Jun 30, 2011

Good quality heimishe food, served elegantly, clean and superb service, relaxing atmosphere all sets the mood to relax mode. A place where all races, religions and ethnicities can find their place, in a central location with a delightful menu and service.

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Gam Gam: Kosher Restaurant in the Ghetto

by suvanki Updated Oct 6, 2010

Gam Gam

CANAREGGIO
    VAPORETTO -Guglie

Gam Gam is one of Venices' best known restaurants- located at the edge of the ghetto, overlooking the Canareggio Canal, and serving Venetian/ Jewish/Middle Eastern kosher food! It was opened in 1997 by the Beyt Chabad community

I've read mixed reviews about the food served here. I was quite curious, and wanted to try the food

I'd walked past this restaurant a few times during my visits to Venice, but I finally decided to try it out. The restaurant was quite full when I arrived, and I had to wait a short while for my table to be prepared. I was seated at a table for 2 (for just myself ) which was quite close to a couple at the next table. They were quite friendly (American) so it wasn't a problem.

There was a promotion on a mixed starter of Israeli dishes, which I decided to go with - various dishes of pickled veg, falafel etc.
    For my next course, I went with the chicken soup-I felt like I was starting with a cold, and had heard this was the 'Jewish penicillin' a cold cure!
    Well the courses kept coming, and I worked my way through them the best I could, they were all perfectly edible, but I'm afraid there wasn't a particular dish that was really memorable.

Open Mon-Thu,Sun 11am-10pm; Fri 11am-3pm

to be continued...

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Gam Gam: A Break from Italian

by Hopkid Updated Feb 19, 2008

Great food and great service! Everything is kosher and tasty! It's also another moderately priced restaurant in this city of expensive ones!

Favorite Dish: Get the potato pancakes and the falafel. Yummy! Oh, good fish dishes as well.

• Gam Gam: Sweetest Venice experience

by ldeketele Written Dec 6, 2006

Gam-Gam is known as the only Kosher restaurant in Venice but it is certainly more than that. Being non-Jewish we wanted to try this place to taste something different than classic italian food. The wellcome was really warm and the young super-friendly waiters do not mind explaining what the food is and what "kosher food" means in practice. We had a tortelini with salmon and mousaka "gam-gam". Both dishes were really good and well-prepared. The tortelini was al dente and came with enough salmon and with great-tasting herbs and some nuts. The mousaka had good texture and was a original slightly sweet composition with eggplant and other goodies. We ordered the white housewine - which was certainly above average . The deserts are why you should definitely visit this place. After our meal, we got a free dessert drink. A "israeli" red drink - the waiter explained it but forgot what it was exactly. We checked out paying between 20-25 euro including drinks and dessert !

Favorite Dish: If you are into sweet delights: the almond cake was incredible: the classic combination of cinnamon and almonds with a fantastic texture make this a fantastic dish. Combine it with a turkish coffee or a sweet desert wine for enhancing the experience.

• Religious Travel

• mapakettle's Profile Photo

Gam Gam Bar Ristorante Ebraico: Kosher food...try the old Jewish Ghetto

by mapakettle Updated May 21, 2004

located beside entrance to Jewish Ghetto

Staff are helpful, willing to describe various dishes, and they tell the truth. (spoke English)

The dining area is bright, clean, and hospitable. No one rushes you, so your meal is as relaxed as you would like it to be. There are tables outside beside the canal, but little shade is provided from the hot sun, even with the umbrellas. You also catch the occasional 'whiff' ....

Washrooms are clean and accessible.

Favorite Dish: We each ordered potato latkes, and the mixed Jewish platter. Fresh, wonderful, so nice to eat something 'just' prepared.

The potato latkes (pancakes), served with apple sauce, were great !!

We stopped by again today, about three weeks since our last visit. The weather is warmer, and they now have tables out on the sidewalk, right beside the canal. Isn't that the dream you envision?

Last visit was May 20/04

• SFNinja's Profile Photo

Gam Gam: Great Quality Food

by SFNinja Written Aug 20, 2003

Gam Gam from the outside

This little restaurant tucked into a corner of Venice at the edge of the Jewish ghetto is a great idea for anyone looking to eat a good meal in Venice without getting ripped off by shady restaurant owners. Also if your diet required you to eat Kosher or Vegan/Vegetarian, Gam Gam is an excellent choice. Reasonably priced and without a service or seating charge, Gam Gam provides an ambiance of charm. The waiters and waitresses speak Hebrew, Italian, English, French, and German...so being understood is no problem here! My waitress was very nice and helpful with the menu. The fresh-baked bread was delicious. The water was cold and the room air-conditioned. What more could you ask for? A true gem in Venice, Gam Gam is a far cry from most touristy restaurants that couldnt care less about the quality of their food. Eat at Gam Gam!

Favorite Dish: The Latkes (Potato Pancakes) at Gam Gam were just spectacular; by far the best Latke i've ever had. Also try the Israeli platter.

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Venice

Comments

Hotels Near Gam Gam
4.5 out of 5 stars