Gelateria Il Doge, Venice

by ewa_75
  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Gelateria Il Doge

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 25, 2009

This fabulous ice cream place is often frequented by my VT friend sue_stone.

Always when she is in Venice she seems to pop by a few times per day.

Jessica_b, sue_stone and me went here together after the Euro VT meeting in Verona in May 2005. Their ice cream is indeed delicious.

The balls are quite huge, so it is recommended to take them in a plastic cup instead of a cone. So if the ice cream starts melting, it won't spill down your lovely clothes.

*photo by sue_stone*

Me at Gelateria Il Doge
    • Trains

• Gelateria Il Doge: The best ice cream in Venice

by ewa_75 Written Mar 23, 2009

I just came back from a trip to Venice. I read before going there that Gelateria "Il Doge" was the place to go if you love ice cream. It is absolutely true! The taste of ice cream is amazing: smooth and creamy, perfectly blended together. My favourite flavour? It must be caffe, mousse tiramisu and crema del doge. They are absolutely divine and they are locally made from fresh produce. I assure you that once you've tasted it, ice cream will never taste the same again. We kept on coming back for some more. It's only 1 Euro for a scoop. The gelateria itself is located in a beautiful Campo di Santa Margherita. So you might want to have a pizza in Ai Sportivi (excellent, delicious, enormous pizzas) and later just grab some ice cream at " Il Doge" which is conveniently located just few shops away.

Favorite Dish: caffe, mousse tiramisu, crema del doge

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Gelateria Il Doge: The Best Gelato in Venice!

by sue_stone Updated Nov 11, 2007

My favourite place to buy Gelato in Venice is Gelateria Il Doge, located in Campo Santa Margherita.

Having tried this place now on a couple of occasions I would say it is definitely worth the walk fro wherever you are staying, to try a scoop or three. I dragged my sister along for a taste test, and she wasn't disappointed.

Located in the beautiful Campo Santa Margherita, you can buy a cup or cone of this delicious ice cream and then find a perch in the piazza for some people watching.

Favorite Dish: My favourite flavours are cafe, hazelnut, coconut and pistachio - though I hear they do a pretty mean chocolate too!

***Latest visit was in Sep 2007 - gelato was BETTER than ever!!!***

My parents indulging at Gelateria Il Doge - 2007 jessica-b & HORSCHECK indulging in some gelato watch out for the drips Holger! Alison & I sampling the fare

• leics's Profile Photo

Il Doge: Very good gelati: 1

by leics Written Apr 10, 2008

This place has really good ice-cream at good prices. Made on the premises, I believe; certainly tastes like it!

Lots of flavours too.