Stores, Malls or Markets in Venice

• Check out shops before you buy leather goods
    Check out shops before you buy leather...
    by Paolomusc
  • Murano Glassware
    by croisbeauty
  • Murano Glassware
    by croisbeauty

Most Viewed Shopping in Venice

• Paolomusc's Profile Photo

All the leather shops: Check them out first!

by Paolomusc Written Nov 14, 2013

All the gift shops are very helpful and interested in your purchase.

What to buy: Leather items such as bags, briefcases, wallets and purses.

What to pay: Venice is brilliant for leather bags and wallets etc. as there are dozens of shops selling brilliant high quality goods, BUT, do check out as many as you can before actually buying as you will find that most of them sell exactly the same goods but at very different prices. Ladies handbags and Gents briefcases varied from 45 euro to 90 euro for EXACTLY the same items. It might take time, but 'just looking' will save you lots of money before you actually buy your chosen item. Don't buy on impulse!

• Seniors

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Itaca Art Studio: Beautiful watercolours – Itaca Art Studio

by Trekki Updated Aug 19, 2013

I already saw these shops (it is two of them) on my very first evening in Venezia and liked their exhibits. And as I passed it quite often during my stay in the city, I finally bought some gifts. The artist, Monica Martin of Jesolo, is selling beautiful watercolour paintings here, in all different sizes. The themes range from typical Veneziano sights, like of course gondolas, the most famous Palazzos, such as Ca’d’Oro and of course, Basilica San Marco, to more colourful steet scenes. The affordable paintings are reprints of her original artwork, which is also available, but of course, at a much higher price. Her website lists the different artwork, according to themes. As far as I could see, the smallest printings (reprints) can be only bought framed (wooden frame, in colours red, orange or blue), but the bigger ones are also sold without frame.

What to buy: I bought some of the smaller reprints (14 x 9 cm) of gondolas and … yes, I even bought a reprint of Basilica San Marco, as I liked the watercolour (photos and 4).
    In addition to the paintings to hang on walls, they also have bookmarks with similar watercolours (photo 5).

At the time of my visit (May 2007), they had a special offer for the small prints: if you buy 3, you get one for free. Each of the smaller ones was 15 Euro. The prices for the bigger ones are abailable on her website (click on the prints and then a new window with info will pop up).
    Bookmarks were 5 Euro each.

What to pay: Directions: the shops are easy to find. One is located in Calle delle Bande, 5267/a (Castello), which is the southernmost street/bridge to San Marco from Campo S Maria Formosa, and the other one is in Calle S Lio 5765 (Castello), which is eastward from Ponte Rialto. You can’t miss them, the windows are full with the colourful prints.
    From what I could see – they are open all day, including Sundays.

Update, August 2013: website exchanged.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Ca'Macana Venezia: Venetian Masks (carnival etc)

by BLewJay Written Jul 6, 2012

One of our goals in coming to Venezia was to find and purchase authentic and hand made masks. After talking to the folks where we were staying, they said we have to go to Ca' Macana. It's one of Venice’s oldest and best known workshops. What we found out about Ca'Macana was that they've been lucky enough to collaborate with film producers (for example...Stanley Kubrick for the film Eyes Wide Shut) and they've always remained faithful to tradition. This means that they make and paint all of their masks strictly by hand as they were doing in Venice 800 years ago and they never repeat a decoration, so each mask is unique.

What to buy: Masks of course!!!

What to pay: For two masks, we paid €161 ($200 USD)

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

TIM Store: Prepaid Italy SIM Card

by BLewJay Updated Jul 6, 2012

We were running low on the number of minutes available on our phone. So we looked for the neighborhood TIM store and added minutes to our phone. Easy, affordable, incoming calls are free regardless of origin, no need for a deposit, credit-check or contract and outgoing rates start at US $.15/min with no international roaming surcharges. What else could you ask for!!!

• merockwell's Profile Photo

La Carta: Wonderful handmade paper

by merockwell Updated Oct 26, 2011

This shop has a great selection of handmade marbled paper. Most of the designs are locally made and designed by the shop owner. Yes, it's in a prime tourist trap area right near the Rialto bridge, but the papers are gorgeous and very good quality.

What to buy: Paper, scrap books, art supplies etc.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Prosciutto San Daniele: according to rumours its the best in the world

by croisbeauty Written Oct 21, 2011

Prosciutto crudo is a dry-cured ham, it is made from either a pig's or wild boar's leg or thigh. The process of making prosciutto can take from nine months to two years, depending on size of the ham. The ham is first cleaned, salted and left for about two months. During this time the ham is pressed, gradually and carefully, to avoid breaking the bone, and to drain all blood left in the meat. It has to be washed several times to remove the salt and is hung in a dark, well ventilated environment. The surrounding air is very important to the final quality of prosciutto, the best result is obtained in a cold climate. The ham is then left until dry.

What to buy: The production of prosciutto is commonly associated with Friuli and Emilia, in Italy then also Croatia (Istria, Dalmatia), Slovenia (Kras, Vipava Valley) and Montenegro (Njegusi).
    The best known Italian prosciutto comes from Parma, but the one from San Daniele at Friuli is the best in quality.
    San Daniele is small town in Friuli, located about 20km northwest of Udine. Every summer, at the end of June, there is the "Aria di Festa", an event about ham.

Energenesi Art Gallery: Phenomenal Modern Day Sculptures

by GracesTrips Written Oct 12, 2011

On our travels, my boyfriend and I often look at art for purchase as a souvenir, an expensive souvenir! And, we just happen to be keeping an eye out for a sculpture piece to put in the entry way of our home. This gallery had the most amazing pieces that were mobile, spinned around, twirled! They were fantastic. But....out of our price range. The piece out front of the gallery was valued about €30,000.00 or US$44,000.00. So, we did not purchase anything. For those of you who can afford something in this price range, it would be a worthwhile acquisition. Very cool gallery!

MA.RE: Glass Gifts

by GracesTrips Written Sep 28, 2011

This was an amazing store with lots and lots and lots of glass vases, dishes, statues, sculptures, etc. Buying something like this and transporting it home is a challenge I didn't want to deal with. So, we looked and ahhhed at all the fantastic things and went home empty handed. At this point, we had not went to Murano and there were even more fantastic finds over there!

• Women's Travel

Mario I: Market on a Boat

by GracesTrips Written Sep 28, 2011

I can't remember where we saw this at but it was fun to see a produce market on a boat. We didn't see more than this one but the novelty that you can go anywhere to sell your goods was a fantastic concept! I wish hotel rooms came equiped with kitchens because it was always so tempting to buy food and be able to prepare our own meals!

Lanza Stefano, Bigiotteria vendita: Jewelry Store

by GracesTrips Written Sep 28, 2011

This was a wonderful jewelry store with unique items that I found very interesting. I'm always on the hunt to find a souvenir from another country that I can treasure forever and jewelry is wonderful when you can't find a piece no where else in the world.

I bought a unique necklace that appears to be a gold mesh chain that you tie around your neck. The gold mesh chain was actually fabric, dipped in 18 karat gold. Soft to the touch. It is quite beautiful. It's located down a busy walking street with many, many shops so to find this store with such nice quality items was a surprise.

I couldn't find a website but the address is correct. My receipt says Ditta Gibigiana Di Lanza, Venezia and another receipt says Gibigiana, Cannaregio 159, Venezia. They do take American Express!

• Women's Travel

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Various shops: What to Buy?

by painterdave Written Jun 6, 2011

This page has been put up to show you some types of things to buy. You can see what is available in Venezia for the shopper. These are all from legitimate sellers, not items made in another country.

What to buy: Leather goods--books bound in leather
    fashions
    glass
    wines
    hand made foods
    Take a look at my fotos, taken June, 2011.

• Wine Tasting

Hard Rock Cafe: My Quest for Collecting Pins

by GracesTrips Updated Jun 3, 2011

I am an HRC pin collector. As I travel, I look for the opportunity to collect more pins. This Hard Rock Cafe in Venice was a little hard to find even though it is close to Piazza San Marcos. We walked up and down some of the narrow streets and I happen to see the sign by chance. I would have loved to collect pins from the HRC in Florence but it was not due to open until June (the following month!). I did collect my pins in Rome. So, I was pretty happy with my purchases.

• duanetanouye's Profile Photo

Al Ponte De Oro on Rialto Bridge Venice: Rialto Bridge Jewelry Shopping in Venice

by duanetanouye Updated May 17, 2011

Shop Recently taken over by daughter of original owners. Along with the Son-in-law, both make it a point to spend alot of dedicated time with each customer, so be patient while they are busy. I found their focus to the customer excellent. They told us they consider it rude to simply try and manage multiple customers at the same time....so be patient and you'll be rewarded with dedicated service.

What to buy: Gold Jewelry, Silver Jewelry, Murano Glass, Cameo's, and other art objects. They were very attentive as we were looking for several pieces of jewelry and ended up selecting two items.

What to pay: Shop does charge slightly lower than San Marco Square jewelers and a little more than jewely shops we went to on the Strada Nuovo between Rialto and the Train Station. However, their service was the best. They also provided discounts without prompting of 5% to 7% on select items but they agreed to even lower prices as we politely mentioned other stores down the Strada that had slightly lower prices and they generously agreed to the final amounts. We went to other jewelry shops on Rialto bridge and found Al Ponte De Oro to be the friendliest and most attentive with no heavy sales tactics.

• Architecture

• duanetanouye's Profile Photo

Roberto Tiozzo: Jewelry Shopping In San Marco Venice Area

by duanetanouye Updated May 17, 2011

Roberto Tiozzo specializes in gold and silver jewelry. The service is great and very helpful. He was the first vendor that explained how we could save money by getting the VAT refunded and other discounts. More importantly, he had the right gold mask earing my wife was looking for and was very patient in helping my wife try about 6 earings of various designs and weights.

What to buy: Robert Tiozzo shop is primarily gold and silver jewelry but also Murano Glass rimmed with gold.

What to pay: Best prices in the San Marco area and possible all of Venice. He clearly and patiently explained the discounts and VAT refund process to get us the best costs.

• Architecture

• Angelo1976's Profile Photo

boudoir galleria ottica: spectacles as never seen

by Angelo1976 Written May 14, 2011

I think everything is special in this store. I would love to see more places like this in a city as wonderful as Venice. Fist of all the warm and comfortable atmosphere, it looks like an ancient living room, with carpets, curtains and old fashioned furniture. Then you can browse through many different items. Home decoration, art pieces, body and home scents, jewlery... but in the end this is a profesisonal optometrist and the owner, Alessandro , is selling very selected brands in eyewear. Not any fashion brand, but frames that can be distinguished by design and quality as well originality. WOW. such an experience. I felt really at home there. Can't wait to have my custom made frame in two weeks.

What to buy: I've seen there some handcrafted things from Morocco : tassles to bend curtains, napkinholders.
    There are a lot of designer pieces made with ceramic , many are covered with gold, platinum or copper.
    The owner must be a designer, he told me the hats I've seen there are his own creation.
    On the walls there were hanging some pictures of strange masks, made out of hot melt glue, as well an idea of his.
    Another cool thing is the big selection of crazy looking contact lenses, sold for something like 40 euros.

What to pay: Most thing are expensive, but I had the impression, prices are not overcharged. Objects are really luxurios there. For a pair of glasses you can spend between 120 and 400 euros. Some really preciuos pieces in gold and buffalo horn are over 1000 €.

• Gay and Lesbian

Latest: Apr 12, 2014
Hotel Becher
Latest: Apr 11, 2014
Hotel Antiche Figure
Ostello di Venezia (Youth Hostel)
Hotel Buon Pesce
B&B Ai Musici
Latest: Sep 3, 2013

Instant Answers: Venice

• Aug 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I recently returned from Italy where I was very excited to explore the wineries, vineyards, and restaurants. I am a manager at Ladera Winery in the Napa Valley of California and I attended college at Cornell’s school of Hotel Administration. I have been working in the wine industry for many years. I did experience a serious issue in Italy that I am trying to resolve.

Unfortunately a single experience has impacted my otherwise wonderful experience in Italy. I purchased and paid for some products at a shop in Venice. The owner promised to send it to me and did not. He simply sold me the product, and, instead of shipping it to me, as promised, kept it. The cost was $519.00 U.S. dollars—a lot of money to lose. I want to tell you the situation so that even if you cannot help me, then at least, you can warn other tourists to avoid his shop.

My Visit to Osteria Enoteca/Rusteghi in Venice

I visited the wine & spirits shop Osteria Enoteca I Rusteghi in Venice, Italy, on 3/16/2013 and purchased six bottles of spirits to be shipped to my work address in Angwin, California, costing $519.20 in US dollars. The owner assured me he would be able to ship the items without any difficulty and they should arrive in two weeks, around April 1st 2013. I did not receive it. I I called Giovanni, the owner of the shop to ask him why the packages hadn't arrived. He told me he was having difficulty shipping the items but would continue to attempt. He told me he shipped the package FedEx, but, he claimed, it was returned to him after being rejected by customs in California, at which point the package routed back through Milan and returned to the shop in Venice. This is the story he told me – story #1.

Giovanni would not show evidence of sending the product UPS- he would not send me any tracking information even though I called him at the shop and asked him repeatedly to send me tracking numbers for proof of shipment. I called FedEx to ask if they had picked up any deliveries at the address of the Venice shop due to be delivered to either my work or my home address, but they had no record of any pickups at his address, nor any deliveries due to either of my addresses. I also called UPS and DHL with the same questions for good measure. It was obvious that Giovanni had taken advantage of me and had no intention of ever shipping the products from the outset.
    He simply sold the product, took my money and kept the product.

I submitted a claim on 5/13/13 to the Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PFC). They hold my Visa card-- the one I used to make the purchase.
    The Pentagon Federal Credit Union investigated my claim by talking to an Italian Bank who then spoke to Giovanni, owner of Osteria Enoteca. On July 29th, 2013 I received notice that Giovanni told a different story to the Italian Bank.

Giovanni now claimed that I took the product with me at the time of purchase and that he no longer had any of the bottles in his possession. This is story # 2. This is not true - let me repeat - this is absolutely false. Here is what the merchant wrote to the bank, according to the document that was sent to me: "We inform you that he took goods away at time of transaction, we have no goods to be shipped!"

As this is patently false, I called Giovanni at his shop the same day, Monday July 29th. Because I speak no Italian and his English is not very good, I found it difficult to get a straight answer out of him. He told story # 3: that the bottles had been returned and that he would try to ship them again. I asked him directly if the bottles were currently in the shop at that moment. He told me yes, the bottles are safe in his shop. This directly conflicts with what he told the bank. So, Giovanni has told three conflicting stories, still has the spirits and my money.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Aug 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I'm sorry you had an unfortunate experience though I suspect no-one on VT will be able to help you. I am surprised that your card people have been so unhelpful...perhaps you should contact them again and inform them of the recent conversation you had with the shop owner?

You might try posting an edited version of events on the VT Venice Travel Forum (use the 'Instant Answers' box directly above your comment), where far, far more people will see your post. Other US VT-ers may have ideas about what you might do to follow things up.

Venice Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Venice locals.
Map of Venice