The second of the 3 bridges that cross the Grand Canal is the Ponte dell'Accademia (Accademia Bridge).
The bridge that you see today is made from wood, and was built in 1930 to replace a previously built metal structure. The bridge was only supposed to be there temporarily until a design for a more permanent bridge was completed...but that seems to have been forgotten about!!
The bridge joins the area of San Marco, to that of Dorsoduro, and is commonly crossed by tourists on their way to the Gallerie dell'Accademia or to the Peggy Guggenheim Museum.
The views up and down the canal from the centre of the bridge are spectacular - so make sure you stop for a photo or ten!
This iron bridge, built originally in 1854 and rebuilt in 1985 is one of the three bridges currently crossing the Grand Canal (a th is being built and shoul be installed by the end of summer 2004) and affords great views of the palaces and water boats going up and down Venice's main waterway.
Gets its name from the nearby Accademia museum.
Coming from the train station area, this is the 3rd of the 3 bridges crossing the Grand Canal. The wooden bridge was constructed in 1932 as a "temporary" means to replace the existing. Well it's still here and probably will remain indefinitely.
If you are going under the bridge on the boat, notice all the utility lines that are hung under the bridge to cross the river.
The modern Ponte dell'Accademia (Bridge of Accademy) connected S.Marco to Dorsoduro. During the 19th century the bridge was made with iron and it had got a different architecture. In the first period of the 20th century was announced a competition to build a new bridge in fron of Accademia Gallery and the winner project by Torres and Briazza (1933) was never realized but as the bridge was essential in this part of the Gran Canal was built the actual bridge that should have been temporary.
Engineer Miozzi, realized a structure that first was made with wood and later was reinforced with steel loosing its main peculiarity.
DORSODURO (to San Marco)
The Accademia Bridge - Bridge of The Accademy, is one of the 4 bridges that straddle the Grand Canal. It is the nearest bridge to San Marco, and is the widest. Also one of the few remaining wooden bridges in Venice, The present bridge dates from 1984
This Bridge was intended to be a temporary replacement for a cast iron bridge, that had been built by English engineers in 1854, during Austrian rule. Its design had been unpopular.
By the 1930's - vaporettos were having trouble negotiating the low spanned bridge, particularly at the times of high tides.
The next version was of identical design to the stone built, Ponte Segli Scalzi, outside the train Station.
However, as stone was so expensive- wood was the material of choice, for this wide stretch of the Canal.
It was built in 1932 or 33, and became a popular crossing point. It was intended as a temporary structure
Due to public demand, when the bridge reached a state of collapse in the 1980's, it was replaced by a precise copy of the 1933 version, completed in 1984. Luckily, Miozzi's original design was re-inforced with iron and steel structures.
. As well as being a busy thoroughfare linking Dorsoduro and San Marco, standing on the bridge offers a scenic view of Santa Maria della Salute and the San Marco basin. So there are usually throngs of visitors aiming their cameras in her direction!
(I wonder if there have ever been records kept of the number of visitors standing on this, The Rialto and The Ponte della Paglia (The viewpoint for The Bridge of Sighs) at any one time?
Locals should expect 'Right of Way' on the bridges- Keep to the right when walking anywhere around Venice, is the rule, also stopping to eat food on bridges in Venice is a No-No
On the Dorsoduro bank is the Accademia art gallery, which houses some of the worlds greatest collection of Venetian paintings.
Vaporetto 1,3, 4, and 82 stop at/ pass under this bridge
The Accademia Bridge links the Dorsoduro area with the San Marco area. This wooden bridge was built in 1930 to replace a 19th Century metal bridge, and was the last of the three bridges across the Grand Canal to be put in place. The structure we see today was supposed to only be temporary but has just been left as it is.
There is a lovely view to be seen looking out to the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Salute.
Taking the vaporetto at San Marco landing stage, Accademia Bridge will be the first bridge on the Gran Canal.
During the nineteenth century, the bridge was different and made with iron.
In the first period of the twentieth century and the possibility to dispose of different technologies and materials, was announced a competition to build a new bridge in fron of Accademia Gallery.
Winner project by Torres and Briazza (1933) was never realized but as the bridge was essential in this part of the Gran Canal was built the actual bridge that should have been temporary.
Engineer Miozzi (who worked a lot in Venice during the first part of twentieth century), realized a structure that first was maded with wood and later was reinforced with steel loosing its main peculiarity.
The Accademia bridge is one of the three bridges spanning the Grand Canal. This bridge, which is wood, dates back to 1934. It is next to the famous Accademia Gallery and near our hotel. There is a outdoor cafe at the base of the bridge that is reasonably priced and set on the canal. There are also public restrooms here.
The Accedemia Bridge is the last of the 3 fixed crossings of the Grand Canal to be built and the first to be seen on the vaporetto from the train station. It is a wooden bridge first built as a temporary structure but never replaced. Many museums and art galleries are adjacent.
The actual aspect of the bridge is very young: in fact, this bridge was concepted in the XIX century, but built by architect Miozzi only in the last century. The interventantion to consolidate the bridge was done in the 80's but the Academia Bridge lost in this way the original design (they added an iron support below it).
First suggested as early as 1488, a bridge was not constructed until 1854. The original steel structure, designed by Alfred Neville, was demolished and replaced by a wooden bridge in the 1930s, despite widespread hopes for a stone bridge.
The second bridge, in a dangerous condition, was razed and replaced by the present bridge, of identical construction, in 1985
Academia is the last of the three bridges that converge the banks of the grand canal. The original one was made of iron and its inauguration was in 1854. After a competition was called to replace it, the winner project was of Torres y Briazza but never was made. Later a new one of wood was made in replacement of the old one. It was inaugurated the 15 of January of 1933. The bridge is 48 meters long.
Es el último de los tres puentes que unen las orillas del gran canal. El original era de hierro y se inauguró en 1854. Mas tarde se convocó un concurso para sustituirlo, el proyecto ganador de Torres y Briazza jamás fue realizado. POsteriormente y en reemplazo del puente de hierro se hizo uno de madera. Se inauguró el 15 de enero de 1933. La longitud del puente es de 48 metros.
The first Ponte dell' Accademia linking the sestieres of San Marco and Dorsoduro across the Grand canal was not constructed until 1854. This first bridge, built of steel, was designed by Alfred Neville but by 1933 it had been replaced by a wooden bridge, which was only supposed to be temporary. In 1985 this tempoarary bridge was still in place, but in a poor condition and so it was replaced with another wooden bridge of the same design. Currently another replacement is being debated.
I think it would be a shame if any replacement changed the substantive appearance of this bridge as it well deserves it's place as a well known land mark in this city of remarkable sights.
Only three bridges cross the Grand Canal. The Accademia Bridge is the one closest to the must see sights of San Marco, Pallazzo Ducale and Chiesa della Salute. The great thing about the bridge is there is no toll--if you cross the canal by vaporetto it will cost 3.10 Euro.
This wooden bridge is from 1932 and was only meant to be temporary when it replaced a 19th century bridge (the second place ever where people could cross Canal Grande without boat). However, the wooden bridge turned out to be so popular it was saved for us all to enjoy.