By plane (and then into Venice), Venice

Know about this? Rate It!

Plane at Marco Polo Airport
    ACTV bus no. 5
    Marco Polo Airport

Treviso Airport to/from Venice

by suvanki Written Sep 26, 2010

I flew into Treviso by Ryanair from East Midlands Airport. On arrival at Treviso you can purchase tickets for the bus to Venice from a machine in the baggage claim hall - as there was a queue, I walked into the arrivals hall, where there is a desk (look for the yellow boarding) to purchase my ticket for the direct bus to Mestre (30 minutes) and then Venice Pl. Roma(40 minutes).
    5 Euros single/9 Euros return. I purchased a single as I was returning to Treviso by train, and had the day to look around.There were 2 express buses waiting, with helpful drivers pointing passengers onto the correct one.
    Remember to validate your ticket before boarding the bus to Venice.

Train to Treviso Centrale from Venice Santa Lucia cost 2.75 Euros - I purchased my ticket from a machine to avoid the long queues at the ticket office. Be careful when purchasing your ticket, as some gave credit notes instead of change. Payment by coins/notes or card - again check the machine as some accepted one method only.
    Local bus #6 from outside the train station to the airport cost 1 Euro. I purchased my ticket from the tobacco/confectionary shop in the train station. The ticket is validated on the bus.

pics and details to follow

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Traveling to an from Marco Polo Airport

by Jefie Updated Aug 11, 2010

Airport shuttle arriving at Piazzale Roma

When we started doing research for our trip to Italy, we had no idea it would be possible to catch a direct flight to Venice from Montreal. However, with a little help from our travel agent, we were able to get a pretty decent price for a direct flight with Air Transat. Marco Polo Airport is located on the mainland, just a few minutes outside of Mestre. There are different options available to get to Venice, including watertaxis, but the cheapest solution is to catch a shuttle bus that takes you to Piazzale Roma, just a few steps away from the Santa Lucia train station. There are departures roughly every 30 minutes, and tickets only cost 3 Euros for a one-way trip. At the airport, you can buy them from the blue ATVO machines that are located in the baggage claim area. The shuttles are quite easy to find once you exit the aiport, there's plenty of room for luggage, and it takes about 20 minutes to get to Venice. The same rate and schedule apply when you need to get back to the airport.

East Midlands Airport to Marco Polo Venice

by suvanki Updated Aug 6, 2010

Approaching Marco Polo Airport

I travelled by Easyjet from East Midlands Airport to Marco Polo airport, Venice. I'd particularly wanted to arrive here rather than Treviso as I'd been told about the Vaporetta journey from the airport to San Marco. It sounded so romantic arriving in Venice on Christmas Eve by boat (even if it was just me on my own)

www.easyjet.com or www.skyscanner.com for flight details, prices etc.

I was lucky to get a bargain 24th to 27th December 06, return flight for just over £70.
    The flight times are quite good -depart EMA at 13.10, arriving MPA at 16.25. Depart MPA 16.55 arriving EMA 18.15

As I had only Hand luggage, I was soon on my way to the Alilaguna waterbus stop for my journey to San Marco.

Luggage trolleys (50cent, 1 or 2 euro piece is needed to release the trolley, remember to retrieve this when you reach the Vaporetta)

Marco Polo is a pleasant airport with plenty of shops, cafes, restaurants etc.
    Exchange bureau, ATM's, car hire, hotel booking etc.

The walk to the buses, water buses, water taxis etc is well sign posted, it takes about 7 minutes to walk.

Taxis stop outside the airport exit.

UPDATE - I'm afraid that from January 2010, Easyjet no longer operate from East Midlands airport. We had already booked for 10 of us to travel this route at the end of January 2010-and had to travel from Gatwick.

Ryanair now fly East Midlands to Treviso, which I don't mind - (I've flown into Treviso before, and the transfer by train or bus is not much longer than the Marco Polo to Venice by Water bus route)

• Disabilities

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Marco Polo Airport - VCE

by DEBBBEDB Updated Jul 3, 2010

Taking off over farms

For some reason my grandmother had us flying from Venice to Madrid so early that it was dark when we left the hotel. I was sleeping in my clothes because I didn't want to unpack my bag. I went down first with my luggage and my grandmother's carryon - we wouldn't both fit in the elevator with the luggage. The hotel breakfast area wasn't open yet. Actually when we got to the airport it was too early even to check in.

We flew business class (which is not a big deal to me as my mom flies with us all the time), but here when we checked in we were told that we could go and wait in the Marco Polo lounge.

The Marco Polo lounge had a TV with the news (in Italian of course), But the main thing was that they had stuff to eat. I got some orange juice and a roll.

Flying out we went right over Venice. In business class, they also gave us breakfast. I ate some and gave some to my grandmother.

Viale Galileo Galilei, 30/1, I-30030, Tessera, Venice, Italy, IT

• Cruise
    • Luxury Travel

Bus from Marco Polo Airport to Piazza Roma

by suvanki Updated Jan 1, 2010

Piazzale  Roma bus station

On my previous visits to Venice I've travelled to/from the airport by the Alilaguna waterbus service. This time I wanted to get there as quickly as possible as I was hoping to visit the Christmas Market in Santo Stefano. The quickest option would have been by water taxi, but far too expensive, so the bus was the way to go.

I purchased a tourist travel ticket for unlimited travel for 72 hours from the tourist info desk at Marco Polo airport for 30 euros. (Tickets are also available for 24, 36 and 48 hours). This gave me unlimited travel on the ACTV waterbuses (vaporettos), local buses and trains.

The No 5 bus was nearly ready to leave from outside the airport, so I just had time to validate my ticket at a nearby machine, and jump on board.

Just over 20 minutes later, I Jumped off the bus in Piazzale Roma and headed to the vaporetto stop at nearby Ferrovia - taking in the view over the Grand Canal, and the atmosphere!

My return journey wasn't as smooth running I'm afraid. Partly my own fault for lingering too long in Plazza San Marco, savouring my last few minutes, before dashing to get the vaporetto to Ca'd'Ora so I could get my case from my hotel, then get another vaporetto to P. Roma. These journeys seemed to take forever (It was Christmas, so there are often less vaporettos).

Once I got to P.Roma, I headed for the stop where the airport bus had stopped the day I arrived. There wasn't anything to indicate an airport bus stop. I realised that others were wandering around looking as lost and anxious as myself. I then spotted a sign D2 with a queue that looked promising. Eventually a bus stopped and the driver announced that it would be going to the airport. I checked it was Marco Polo, and not Treviso, and showed him my ticket - I'd had to purchase another travel ticket as my stay was longer than 72 hours.

Apparently this wasn't valid for this bus, and I was directed to their office across the other side of the bus station to purchase a ticket for 3 Euros. Luckily there wasn't a queue. Others had the same problem and there was a steady stream of passengers going to the ticket office.

Warning - It's quite a shock having to negotiate through moving traffic after having spent the last few days wandering around the traffic free streets of Venice!

I later realised that this bus was run by the ATVO company. (not ACTV which my ticket would have been valid for)

ATVO buses run every 30 mins to/ from the airport.
    ACTV bus No 5 is cheaper - I think 1 Euro One way and roughly every 30 minutes too.

UPDATE- 2009 I purchased a return ticket (pic 4) for 5 Euros from the Tourist Info desk in the Arrivals Hall of MPA for the No 5 bus ACTV bus- This time I validated my ticket on board (pic 3). Setting off, we headed towards Mestre, then after leaving Mestre, headed towards an industrial area- I was wondering If I'd jumped onto the wrong bus, when I recognised that we were approaching the Ponte Libertie - Pheew.
    On my return, a bus was waiting to depart for the airport - not an ACTV , but it was a direct service. It was 3 Euros- pay the driver, and he validated it.

• Study Abroad

• calcaf38's Profile Photo

From Marco Polo Airport to Venice

by calcaf38 Written Nov 8, 2009

Marco Polo is Venice's main airport, with flights from all over the world. Although you may be tired when you arrive, you should buy a transportation card (see other tip) right away - unless you are using the pricey water taxi service.

At the airport, locate a #5 bus stop. Then take the #5 bus all the way to Piazzale Roma in Venice. That'll take a good 40 minutes. From Piazzale Roma, catch whichever Vaporetto gets you closest to your accommodation, and finish by foot.

Be sure to validate your card in the bus. This will be the official start of your card's duration.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Ryanair's cheeky alternative

by sourbugger Written Aug 5, 2009

Ryanair bill Treviso airport as 'Venice'. To be fair it is alot closer to Venice than many major cities are to their principle airport. It is also well connected to Venice by either a) a direct bus or b) a local bus to Treviso city (10-15 minutes) and a half hour train ride up to Sant Lucia train terminal in Venice.

Currently Ryanair fly to about a dozen non-Italian destinations around Europe from here. More may well follow.

It's still worth checjing out flights to Marco Polo airport, as the odd bargain can turn up - and you don't have to travel with Michael O'Leary's band of clowns.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

bus to airport

by sourbugger Updated Aug 3, 2009

If you just ask for a bus to the airport at P.Roma they are likely to sell you 'Fly bus' at 3 euros.

Ensure you are ask for a ticket on the local bus (ACTV bus 5 from stop A7). It will cost you just a euro 10c. It will stop a few other intermediate stops and it might be a crush in rush-hour. Pay you money and take your choice.

The water bus service will cost quite a bit more.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

From the airport:

by mindcrime Updated Jul 8, 2009

dirty windows...

Marco Polo airport is located in Tessera, 8km away from the center. It’s one of the busiest airports in Italy and there was a big line waiting for the security scanning after check in so be there early even if you use a domestic flight.

The airport is on the shore of the lagoon so you can reach Venice :
    1)by watertaxi directly to your hotel. This is a fast and exciting way but it will cost you a lot (about €100,00)
    2)by Alilaguna boat. It costs € 13,00 one way and goes to Piazza San Marco. If your hotel isn’t near the train station this option is ideal because you wont have to get into any vehicle with wheels during your stay in Venice at all! The Alilaguna pier is 8 minutes walk from the airport and depending on the location of your hotel you can take the line that suites you (the staff will help you choose between the Blue/Orange/Gold/Red lines).
    3)by the express bus (ATVO) directly (in 25’) to Piazzale Roma which is next to the train station. You can buy the ticket (€ 4,00) at the counter of ATVO or at the ticket machines.
    4)by local bus no.5 (ACTV) that also goes to Piazzale Roma but with some more stops on the way. You can buy the ticket (€ 2,50) from the bus driver. We took the bus in front of the arrival hall just after midnight and it took 25’ because there was no traffic. The first bus departs at 8.10am and the last one 00.20.
    On our way back three days later early in the morning we reached the airport fast and easy too. The first bus departs from P.le Roma at about 5.00a and the last one at 20.40. Some tourists confuse ATVO and ACTV(that runs the vaporettos too) companies but no, you need different tickets/cards. If you buy a 12/24/36/48/72 hour card at the airport you can also use the vaporettos in Venice because they belong to ACTV too.

There is another airport further away from Venice at Treviso, used from some low cost aircompanies. There buses from there to Piazzale Roma too. Pic 1 shows a man cleaning front window of our plane before our departure!

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

Bus from Venice to Marco Polo Airport

by Avieira67 Updated May 24, 2009

There are two possibilities to travel by bus from Venice to Marco Polo Airport. Buses leave from Piazzale Roma, and you pay €2.5 or €6.0 one way depending on the company. Public transportation is operated by ACTV and is the cheapest one, leaving frequentely from platform A1. Tickets must be bought at the office before boarding.

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

Treviso airport

by DEBBBEDB Updated May 18, 2009

Barb's son's photo of  Piazz le Roma

We didn't fly to Marco Polo airport. We flew to Venice Treviso airport via Ryanair from Stansted arriving at 2200. Unfortunately the only Italy guide book I had was Rick Steves who doesn't mention that other (mainland) Venice airport (Treviso), in fact he doesn't mention the name of the airport at all (I may be writing him a note!!). Fortunately, in the process of looking at other information, I discovered that Treviso is about an hour north of Venice. Fortunately also, there is a bus that runs to Piazz le Roma (the bus station in Venice). So, our flight was on time, and they didn't lose any of our bags, the bus ran to schedule, and the water buses were also still running.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

To Venice by plane

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 27, 2009

Marco Polo Airport

In May 2005 I left Italy by plane from the Venice Airport Marco Polo, which is located about 12 km east of the city centre.

The Airport is very modern and consists of 2 terminals. It can be reached by both local buses, Express Fly buses, waterboats and taxis.

For more details about how to get to the Airport, please read my "To Venice Airport by public transportation" tip.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

To Venice Airport by public transportation

by HORSCHECK Updated Apr 25, 2009

ACTV bus no. 5

There are three options to travel between the city centre of Venice and the Airport Marco Polo:

The most stylish option is probably by waterboat service which is provided by the private transportation company Alilaguna. A trip from the Airport to St Mark's Square takes about 70 mins and costs 10 Euro.

Special Express buses which are operated by ATVO take you for 3 Euro in 20 mins directly from the Airport to Piazzale Roma.

The local buses no. 5 of the ACTV company take you also in 20 mins to Piazzale Roma. The advantage of these buses is that you can use the tickets (e.g. 24 hour ticket) also on the vaporetti which belong to the same company. A single ticket is only 2 Euro.

• csordila's Profile Photo

Aeroporto di Venezia Marco Polo

by csordila Updated Apr 1, 2009

The airport control tower

The airport is located off the SS14 airport road towards Trieste, in Tessero on the shore of the lagoon, only 8 kilometers from the center.
    It is one the busiest in Italy with a yearly capacity of seven-million passengers. The attractive new terminal building has been put into operation in 2002. Extremelly elegant with an excellent design. Arrivals are on the ground floor while departures are on the upper floor.
    The business class international lounge has good food/drinks, nice comfort, high speed internet access and an open terrace for very pleasant viewing of the aircraft and last lingering views of the beautiful city.

Public transport: Transfer to Venice is easy; although the blue ATVO bus (€ 3,00), a direct connection to Piazzale Roma, runs only every half hour at weekends. The orange bus ACTV No.5 (€1.00) is also a good option, but it has a lot of stops and reaching Piazzale Roma takes almost one hour.
    Another option is to take the Alilaguna boats from the airport jetty: they are time-consuming (one hour and a half) and expensive (€ 12,00 one-way) but take you directly to Piazza San Marco, which is a huge advantage.

Notice: Some airlines operate from the small airport of Treviso, which is 30 kilometres from Venice, but the transfer to Piazzale Roma by bus or train is well organized

• Business Travel

Marco Polo Airport to San Marco

by suvanki Updated Jan 9, 2009

Forum question and my reply.

Buonogiorno, We want to catch the Alilaguna into Venice after we arrive at the airport with the direction of St Mark's Square. Does anyone know how far the Alilaguna boat pier from the airport is in walking time? I've heard its a bit of a mission/walk to find it? Going on the official site it says there is a stop called Rialto - is this the Rialto Bridge? Coz thats the one we want? Also, for the water buses -is the stop Ferrovvia Scalzi the correct stop for St Lucia train station? Thanks :)

Hi- Yes, its a 7 minute walk from Marco Polo Airport to the Alilaguna pier. Well sign posted along a paved route. There are shuttle buses apparently that run this short route, but I've not seen one, and I'm not sure how often they run

At the pier are ticket offices, to purchase your ticket. My last trip by this route was in June 07 and it cost 12 euros return.
    I found the staff were very helpful, in recommending the best route to take, and how long you have to wait til the next departure.
    There is a bar/cafe nearby to grab a drink or snack, if you have to wait a while.

The Alilaguna route to San Marco takes just over an hour stopping at the Lido, then Murano before reaching San Zaccariah then San Marco.

My first trip to Venice for Christmas 06, I travelled this way, and it was exciting arriving at night in San Marco.

However, this Christmas, I opted for the quicker and cheaper option of getting a bus from the airport to Piazzo Roma. In just over 30 minutes from leaving the airport, I was heading along the Grand Canal to my hotel.

Rialto is 6 stops from P. Roma on Route 1.

From San Marco routes 1, 3 and 82 take You to Rialto

I purchased a tourist travel ticket from the Tourist info office at the airport, which gave me unlimited travel on the bus, ACTV waterbuses and local trains.You can purchase these at the Vaporetto stations also.

Yes, You're correct - Ferrovia Stazione is the vaporetto stop for St Lucia train station. Scalzi is the name of the church next to the station.

Have A Great trip! Please feel free to contact me if You have any further questions. On my Venice transport tips there are some photos and more info about the Alilugana service, vaporettos etc.

Best Wishes,