By water taxi (& private boats), Venice

Know about this? Rate It!

taxi-boat
    by croisbeauty
  • By water taxi (& private boats)
    by croisbeauty
    Crazyman2 as we prepare to enter the
    by crazyman2
  • breughel's Profile Photo

Motoscafi - Water taxis.

by breughel Updated Apr 20, 2011

Motoscafo - Water taxi, inside.

Motoscafi - Water taxis are most practical for a comfortable and fast trip between the Marco Polo airport and the hotels as long as these are on a canal accessible to the motoscafi taxis. They are mostly used for this aim at an official price of 100 € (2010) as long as you take them directly at the pier of the airport or reserve them 24 hours in advance by phone with a company like Consorzio Motoscafi Venezia or others.

Hotels and travel agents ask a commission which can be excessive.

On the Grand Canal you will often see water taxis with 8 - 10 passengers organized for groups.

The skippers of the Venetian water taxis keep their boats in perfect condition inside as well as outside (photo 1 & 2). I have seen on the net that such second hand water taxis, reach prices of 30.000 - 70.000 €.They are about 9,20 m long and about 2,20 m wide. The hulls are, it seemed to me, made in composite material glassfiber/polyester resin (vetroresina) but parts are also made or decorated with mahogany wood. The hulls have to be very solid to resist the shocks of the waves when going at high speed through the Laguna between the airport and Venice (photo 3).

We used Consorzio Motoscafi from and back to the airport.
    Their taxi arrived at our hotel pontoon exactly on time as reserved by ourselves by phone 24 hours in advance. Return price to the airport was 90€ (100€ - 10% discount).
    No tips. You don't tip a skipper of a Venetian water taxi.

Of course all this has not much sense if your hotel is not located on a canal accessible to water taxis.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

by sue_stone Written Nov 11, 2007

On the Water Taxi

We took my parents to Venice for their first ever visit in Sep 2007, and we wanted them to have a fabulous first impression of this amazing place. We flew in to Marco Polo airport, and decided to splash out and catch a water taxi directly to our hotel. We had always really loved the look of the gorgeous wooden boats they use, but had never caught one before.

Upon arrival, we followed the signs from the airport terminal to the dock - about a 5 minute walk. Here we found the Consorzio Motoscafi Venezia, who run a water taxi service. We spoke to the man who was taking bookings and told him where we wanted to get the taxi to - our B&B was conveniently located close to a tiny canal.

About 10 minutes later, a taxi arrived for us. We passed the luggage down, and then clambered in, and we were away. Mum and I sat on the back seat in the open air, whilst the boys sat inside. We motored across the water, and couldn't see much initially (it was 9pm and dark), but after a little while the lights of Venice appeared and before we knew it we were on the Grand Canal!!

What an experience - we stood up at the back as we cruised down the canal, enjoying every moment of this fabulous 'taxi' ride.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Taxi-boat

by croisbeauty Written Feb 25, 2005

taxi-boat

In case you are in hurry or you just don't want to be pushed and disturbed by the crowd, small taxi-boat can be a good option. I've took it from Ponte Rialto and it cost me 20 euros. When I've asked the guy speaking in Italian, how much it cost, he said to me "wait a moment, the price depend on number of passengers". Since a group of people came after, he asked me 20 euros for a ride, which was acceptable.

• Maramato's Profile Photo

PRIVATE WATER TAXI

by Maramato Written Nov 16, 2005

PRIVATE TAXI FROM AIRPORT TO VENICE

Having travelled to Venice approx 10 times now, I thought that for the first time I would take the water taxi. Why not? I have taken all other methods of travel from Marco Polo to Venice, including both buses (ATVO and ACTV) and also the Alilaguna. We arrived at 11.00am on a beautiful morning and walked the 10 minutes or so to the Taxi station. We were first told 90 euros to which I responded with an 80 euros which was agreed. We both stepped on and took our seats at the rear of the boat. What an AMAZING trip with the added bonus of being driven up part of the Grand Canal to our destination, the Zattere. Absolutely wonderful and I recommend this to anyone, arriving during the daytime on a clear day - see my photo! I overheard someone in the restaurant the following evening saying how long it had taken them to arrive at their hotel from the airport. We did not return the same way since maybe this would have been a little extravagant but took the Alilaguna direct from the Zattere to MP which takes about 1 and a 1/2 hours.

• Music

• MM212's Profile Photo

Private Taxi

by MM212 Written Apr 8, 2006

Interior of a Venice Taxi Boat

Private taxi boats are an option for transportation around Venice and from/to the airport. The taxis are abundant, but cost significantly more than the Vaporetto. However, each taxi boat is very spacious and can fit as many as 10 passengers (possibly more). If you are travelling in a group, then it may be cost effective to take one. Regardless, it certainly is the luxurious way to travel around Venice. At the airport, many will be waiting to transport passengers, however, in Venice itself, sometimes you may have to call in advance.

• jelw's Profile Photo

by jelw Written Jan 15, 2005

Stazione Taxi Acqueo

The water taxis are everywhere. This specific Station is in Venice Maestra, the mainland. Just follow the road in. You will see the very modern multi story parking garage. From here you can get a water taxi or a water bus.

• Business Travel

• royalempress's Profile Photo

Water Taxis

by royalempress Updated Mar 1, 2005

Water Taxi

The Water Taxi might be what you need when arriving in Venice. If you arrive in the afternoon and have lots of luggage (not advisable) you might hire a taxi. They are more expensive but very convenient in reaching your destination. As an example cost, from the parking garage to your hotel could be 30 euros plus tip.
    During the afternoon the Vaporetti boats are jammed with tourists and juggling your luggage could be a problem.
    Almost anywhere you go the there will be Water Taxis for hire. Particularly by the train station and the parking garage.

• Castles and Palaces

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Water taxis around town

by SLLiew Written Sep 12, 2006

Besides walking through the maze like streets and over the many canal bridges, the best way to explore Venice by the water taxis. Gondolas are more expensive. But water taxis get you easily from point to point and island to island.

Have a watery experience when in Venice.

• DEBBBEDB's Profile Photo

by DEBBBEDB Updated May 18, 2009

What a pretty boat

There were a lot of nice boats to look at in Venice. I'd rather look at boats than buildings. My mom (Barb) told my grandmother that I wanted to ride in a gondola. I don't remember saying that, and it was so expensive that we didn't do it. But I WOULD have liked to ride in one of the little motor boats which grandma said were water taxis. I didn't tell my grandmother that until we were ready to go to the airport, which we could have done by water taxi. But we had to take an extremely early flight, and not only would the water taxi have taken longer than a regular taxi, but it would cost around €100 which is way too expensive.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Water Taxi & Private Boats

by victorwkf Updated Aug 18, 2009

Boat at Venice, Italy

Water taxis and private boats give you the best flexibility of exploring the Venice waterways at your own pace and leisure, and can come with a guide to brief you about the history and architecture of Venice.

However, this will cost a lot of money, and will be worthwhile only if you are travelling in a big group or budget does not concern you at all. Perhaps you might know a good friend in Venice who can take you for a ride on his or her private boat.

If not, you should opt for taking the valporetto (water buses) which are much cheaper.

• Sailing and Boating

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Private taxi - private guide

by Luchonda Updated Oct 2, 2004

Ingrid,a perfect guide

Floating on the Canale Grande is a must to have a first/last impression on this historical city in northern Italy.
    Especially when you have yr private guide,showing you the less touristic places.
    Like :
    - How to become a gondelier
    - How to make the famous masks
    Ingrid did a beautiful job.Thanks Ingrid

• Castles and Palaces
    • Business Travel

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Water Taxi from Airport to Hotel

by suvanki Updated Aug 6, 2010

Water Taxis

Normally I travel from Marco Polo airport to Venice by bus or Waterbus. This time, as there were 10 of us travelling, we decided that the Water Taxi was the way to travel! Normally, as a solo traveller, this would be way out of my budget! (Although I had been lucky enough to experience a free water taxi ride from Sant' Erasmo to Fondamente Nova a few years ago

As I was in Venice a few weeks prior to this trip, I made enquiries at the Consorzio Motoscafi Venezia - water taxi desk in Marco Polo Airport. The man on reception was very helpful, he advised booking online, and gave me a 10% discount card.

The site was quite easy to use. Our return trip was 270 Euros (27 Euros each, which was about £23)
    I booked this online, and received a receipt, and instructions of where to meet etc. As there were 10 of us, we'd been advised to bring small cases only, as space would be limited.
    I made a few 'phone calls, before booking, and the staff were very helpful.

On arrival at Marco Polo, I checked at the desk in arrivals, that our taxi was arranged, then we walked to the quayside, where our craft was waiting for us. Boarding it caused some hilarity amongst my friends, but the driver, assisted us, and loaded our luggage.

Speeding across the lagoon was to provide even more laughs, as we bumped across the waves - I think the more Patsy screamed, the faster our driver went!

We entered a canal at the northern end of Venice, and as we got nearer to the Grand Canal, the taxi stopped, and the driver instructed us to pull back part of the roof, so we could stand up and enjoy the next part of our trip, as we entered the Grand Canal, and made our way to the landing stage by the Scalzi bridge, near to our hotel. A magical way to arrive, for me, who'd been to Venice a few times, and for my friends who it was their first time.

On our return, the hotel 'phoned the company to check that we would be picked up at the allotted time, to get us back to Marco Polo in time for our flight.

This time, our driver wasn't as friendly, and there was quite a strong smell of fumes from the engine seeping into the cabin. I was sat at the back outside, so I wasn't as aware of this.

Company address - Consorzio Motoscafi Venezia San Marco 4179 - 30124 - Venezia

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

by rcsparty Written Aug 7, 2006

One of the best parts of getting to Venice, is experiencing the water taxi from the airport to the city. Seeing the city appear on the horizon of the water is always impressive. The water taxi is not cheap, and we have usually done when we are with another family, but is much faster and enjoyable then the water bus. You can also take the water bus, but it can get very crowded and takes longer.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo

Vaporetto.

by Maurizioago Updated Dec 15, 2012

Officially the term "vaporetto" refers to flat-decked single level vessels, but it is often used to mean various kinds of water buses.

You will travel by vaporetto if you want to go to some islands (part of Venice) or when you are tired after a day's sightseeing. This way you can rest your feet.

One single ride on these water buses costs around 7 euros and it will be valid for 75 minutes. You can change boat several times with the same ticket. There are also some kinds of travel cards to save money. Tickets and travel cards can be bought at the booths near almost every vaporetto stops. Tickets and travel cards must be validated before boarding.

Vaporetti (plural of vaporetto) are run by the ACTV company.

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

Throttle Open!

by crazyman2 Written Jun 17, 2012

From our hotel near St Mark's Square to the airport, we took a water taxi!

The 'driver' took it steady (as he had to) until he got around to Cannaregio and then he let the boat roar and bounce across the water to the airport.

Okay it's expensive ---but it is always an exciting way to end our stays in such a wonderful city.

Instant Answers: Venice